Answered Voice is not audible with Atmos decoded BD

faina

Novice Member
Reaction score
Dear experts,

I've an issue with the most recent BD decoded with Atmos

I've a 7.2 set up, AV receiver Marantz SR7002

The system is up and running since forever, set up and perfectly working with every type of sources. When I play BD with Atmos audio track (Minions, Sing i.e.), the voice is almost not audible (you can if you put your hears close to the central speaker), but is working with other BDs and DVDs
I've tried both with my BD player and with Xbox one S. If I use bitstream I lose the 7.1 and can hear the voice only with the Dolby VS setting, but sometimes disappear as well. If I use the 7.1 PCM, same issue, voice almost not audible. With the games all is fine in PCM mode

Do you have any idea why this is happening? I would not have to change the central speaker setting anytime I change disk...

thanks for your help

cheers

You cannot get Atmos with any receiver that is configured as 7.2, you need it to be configured in a 5.2.2. The player must be outputting in bitstream.

This has nothing to do with Atmos. AS already said, the receiver wont read Atmos metadata unless you actually have a speaker configuration that includes additional Atmos speakers. You also cannot get Atmos if receiving PCM. THe Atmos metadata will not be sent from a source to the receiver if not bitstreaming the audio. PCM cannot carry Atmos metadata. Lastly, the Marantz SR7002 predates Atmos and cannot handle or process it. The receiver has no ability to decode Atmos and you'll only ever get the TrueHD it is packaged with if using your receiver.

Whatever the issue, it has nothing to do with Atmos.

Thanks to both of you for the detailed answer, very clear. I understand that my receiver is "vintage" and can't read the latest audio format, but the issue is that I can't listen properly the latest BD, just in stereo mode...
As Gibbsy said, I can configure the player output in bitstream (dolby or DTS preference don't change the final result) and set the receiver in dolby VS (the only that make the central channel audible, all the others including auto fail), and this almost work: the only issue is that sometime the voice suddenly disappear during the playback for one scene and come back the next
Any idea on why this happen?

thanks!

cheers

Speaker connections? Make sure they are all tight. If they are bare wire connections and have been in place for a number of years then they may need to be taken back to expose new wire. Do this at both receiver and speaker ends.

Gibbsy,

I checked and all is fine, I use Banana plug. The speaker works for hours without any problem in any other condition... any other idea?
KC,
Panasonic BRW520 and Xbox One S (with all the plug in, BD player & dolby): problem happens with both devices in exactly the same way

thanks!

cheers

Try and eliminate that this is not a centre speaker problem. Switch cables, either front left or right will do and connect to the receiver's centre output and play something for the same amount of time that the problem arises. If all is well then the problem resides with the speaker, if it occurs with a different speaker then it would be safe to suggest the receiver is at fault.

Hi Faina
I notice that your Pana player is not a UK model. It could be that the discs you are buying are not compatible with your player (region issues???)

kc

Kcsun,

yes it's a JP model, as well as the BDs are all JP versions... I start to have the suspect that they are different from our version in Europe (the zone already is), and the audio tracks don't work with old equipment, even in English
I'll buy some USA BD (same zone as JP) with Atmos to double check the first time I'll go there

thanks!!!

cheers

This has nothing to do with Atmos. AS already said, the receiver wont read Atmos metadata unless you actually have a speaker configuration that includes additional Atmos speakers. You also cannot get Atmos if receiving PCM. THe Atmos metadata will not be sent from a source to the receiver if not bitstreaming the audio. PCM cannot carry Atmos metadata. Lastly, the Marantz SR7002 predates Atmos and cannot handle or process it. The receiver has no ability to decode Atmos and you'll only ever get the TrueHD it is packaged with if using your receiver.

Whatever the issue, it has nothing to do with Atmos.
Dante

Sorry to be a pain. I have a yamaha 3060 with Sky q, Apple TV, Amazon fire tv and Sony DVD and a Sony a1. For some reason I am getting pcm show on the screen of the amp - (when I look at BBC 1 for example via sky) then the screen says surround. If I click on the remote 'display' the display the screen says at the bottom left pcm and surround. I am sure I am not getting the proper sound. How do I ' turn off 'pcm' please? (Pretty please :) )

Dante

Sorry to be a pain. I have a yamaha 3060 with Sky q, Apple TV, Amazon fire tv and Sony DVD and a Sony a1. For some reason I am getting pcm show on the screen of the amp - (when I look at BBC 1 for example via sky) then the screen says surround. If I click on the remote 'display' the display the screen says at the bottom left pcm and surround. I am sure I am not getting the proper sound. How do I ' turn off 'pcm' please? (Pretty please :) )
You have to configure Dolby Digital in the Sky box sound menu. It usually shows as Normal or Dolby Digital. Normal is PCM.

Thank you so much for your very quick response I checked and it was set to Dolby Digital Plus already yet when, for example I put on bbc1 on skyq the amp display screen shows first 'decoder off' then in a second changes to 'pcm' then immediately to Dolby surround. If I then click on display on the remote the screen shows a black bar top and bottom and the bar at the bottom left shows ' pcm' and underneath this 'Dolby surround' and on the right of the screen at the bottom 'surround decoder' . Does this mean I am fretting for nothing or am I still having pcm issues?

Am I being a muppet here I have just tried a sky film in uhd and the display screen shows Atmos/digital+.

Am I being a muppet here I have just tried a sky film in uhd and the display screen shows Atmos/digital+.

I believe that is because the Atmos data is being sent via a DD+ signal.

Not all channels accessed via SKY satellite are encoded with multichannel surround or Dolby encoded audio. Some channel will be nothing more than 2 channel PCM. Some channels will be encoded with Dolby Digital, but not necessarily with more than just 2 channels and some broadcasts will be Dolby Digital with a 5.1 soundtrack if the programme is encoded with such.

You'll only get Dolby Digital Plus and Atmos in association with SKY's UHD content.

The BBC make available both an SD and an HD variant of BBC1 and BBC2. The SD versions only include 2 channel PCM audio while the HD versions use Dolby Digital. Not everything the BBC broadcasts will include a 5.1 soundtrack and a lot of content will only be broadcast with a stereo soundtrack.

Dolby Surround Upmixing is applicable to everything you'd get via SKY appart from when getting Atmos

Dante thanks so much for the great explanation for me. Very much appreciated that you took the time

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom