Volvo XC40

gibbsy

Solutions
Reaction score
Time to look for a new car. With no sign of VW brining out a new Golf GTD, certainly not within the time I need to change, the wife wants to look at SUVs again. She loved our Audi Q3 and although it was a beautifully made and powerful vehicle is was as boring as hell to drive. Can't see the XC40 being any better but perhaps it's time for me to act my age and not my shoe size. Read and watched some very good reviews on the car but there's nothing like having some insight off owners.

We’re in the same boat, but downsizing from a Passat Estate GT, mainly cos it’s as long as a barge and we’re looking for something higher cos the wife is a shorty and wants to start driving again. 😀 So we’ll need as much parking and safety tech as possible. 😂 I don’t like the old X3, but I’m impressed by the reviews of the newer hybrid. Also the new Q5 petrol. But I love everything about the current Evoque(awesome Parking Control system) and will have to crunch the numbers on that one. I’m not sure about the Volvo, but since there’s a hybrid it’s on the list too.

I had one as a courtesy car for a day a brand new one.not really enough for any kind of review but I found the seating position nice and high,easy to get in and out of never thought I’d think of things like that when trying out a car.i found it pretty basic inside but I spose that depends what trim you go for.

I used to have as Volvo S60. The servicing is really expensive especially once 3+ years old, and I think Volvo still stick to a rigid annual service regardless of mileage / type of driving (compared to VAG where you've the long-life variable servicing option).

What engine and spec would you be looking at?
My V60 is a 2019 D4 Momentum Pro so I might be able to give you some insight.
It's going to be a B4 petrol automatic. Can't make up our minds yet as to whether it will be the Momentum Pro or the R Design Pro. Privacy glass is standard on the R Design but extra on the Momemtum and that's essential for our dog in the boot. Not doing enough mileage now for a diesel.

I'd be interested to know what the ride is like with the Momentum and how well to the seats hold you. Also music storage is it USB stick or SD card.

I used to have as Volvo S60. The servicing is really expensive especially once 3+ years old, and I think Volvo still stick to a rigid annual service regardless of mileage / type of driving (compared to VAG where you've the long-life variable servicing option).
I've not discussed anything with the dealer yet. Looks like I'm going to save on the next service with VW because of lockdown, every cloud so they say.

It's going to be a B4 petrol automatic. Can't make up our minds yet as to whether it will be the Momentum Pro or the R Design Pro. Privacy glass is standard on the R Design but extra on the Momemtum and that's essential for our dog in the boot. Not doing enough mileage now for a diesel.

I'd be interested to know what the ride is like with the Momentum and how well to the seats hold you. Also music storage is it USB stick or SD card.

I live on a twisty B road, but have also driven it around your neck of the woods and the ride is very good. In comfort mode it's quite sedate for the motorway, but my preference is dynamic for the twisty's.
Music storage is via USB slot.

My previous car was an R Design and the seats were very good, gave good support and plenty of adjustments to get the most comfortable position. The same goes for the Momentum Pro, minus the sporty feel. Both cars are easily the most comfortable I've owned.

I had the same dilemma regarding which spec to go for 2nd time around and opted for the more options and luxury feel over the sportier R Design. I paid £99 for the upgraded wheels, and had the windows tinted locally.

Great space in the back for my dog too :thumbsup:

IMG_20200530_201232.jpg

Last edited:
I took a XC40 out for a test drive earlier today. It was a 163bhp petrol T3 Momentum. Not the spec that we are looking at but I must say it was a very smooth ride. Very easy to get a comfortable driving position and even the boss said how comfortable her seat was even in the basic trim. Obviously a lot more body roll than the GTD has and I wouldn't consider that particular petrol engine it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Sat in an R Design and that looked and felt a lot better. Then we were shown an Inscription Pro with leather seats and that the one that the boss wants, if ever she makes up her mind on the colour.

Last Volvo I drove that was that big was a 20 ton FL6.

I took a XC40 out for a test drive earlier today. It was a 163bhp petrol T3 Momentum. Not the spec that we are looking at but I must say it was a very smooth ride. Very easy to get a comfortable driving position and even the boss said how comfortable her seat was even in the basic trim. Obviously a lot more body roll than the GTD has and I wouldn't consider that particular petrol engine it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Sat in an R Design and that looked and felt a lot better. Then we were shown an Inscription Pro with leather seats and that the one that the boss wants, if ever she makes up her mind on the colour.

Last Volvo I drove that was that big was a 20 ton FL6.

Just been looking at the Volvo website and it looks like they've dropped the Momentum Pro spec. It's all a bit confusing as it shows the V60 Momentum comes with leather, but not the XC40 Momentum.

During the test drive did you get a chance to change driving modes from Comfort to Dynamic?

Just been looking at the Volvo website and it looks like they've dropped the Momentum Pro spec. It's all a bit confusing as it shows the V60 Momentum comes with leather, but not the XC40 Momentum.

During the test drive did you get a chance to change driving modes from Comfort to Dynamic?
No I didn't. I did like the way it dealt with pot holes, on the way back to the motorway we went over the same pothole with the GTD and boy did we know it. Think I'd have to spend an hour or so just going through the display settings. I was impressed with it, think my wife loves it. Looks like it will be the Inscription Pro with 19'' wheels.

The only thing the dealer didn't know was how good was the privacy windows in keeping the warmth of the sun out. With my Golf it's 65%. Any info on that count for me? Got to keep the Cocker cool.

Me and the boss walked into the dealers with these masks on. Must have look like Mr and Mrs Turpin.
ANTIVIRAL-360-PROTECTIVE-MASK.jpg

No I didn't. I did like the way it dealt with pot holes, on the way back to the motorway we went over the same pothole with the GTD and boy did we know it. Think I'd have to spend an hour or so just going through the display settings. I was impressed with it, think my wife loves it. Looks like it will be the Inscription Pro with 19'' wheels.

The only thing the dealer didn't know was how good was the privacy windows in keeping the warmth of the sun out. With my Golf it's 65%. Any info on that count for me? Got to keep the Cocker cool.

Me and the boss walked into the dealers with these masks on. Must have look like Mr and Mrs Turpin.
View attachment 1331356

Sorry, can't help with the tints. I had mine done locally and not as an option. Saved me £200.
I also can't remember what tint % I went for, but I think it was 35%.
Unless tints come as standard, I'll always get them done myself.

The dog has never complained, but we don't do journeys longer than approx 20 miles with him in the back.

View attachment 1331356
ive got a v90 and the privacy glass keeps my jack Russell cool well not that he has ever complained anyway.if you are getting the inscription you might have some roll up sun blind things built into the back doors that also work as wind deflectors so I roll the windows down to give him a good draft in the back.

ive got a v90 and the privacy glass keeps my jack Russell cool well not that he has ever complained anyway.if you are getting the inscription you might have some roll up sun blind things built into the back doors that also work as wind deflectors so I roll the windows down to give him a good draft in the back.
I've always gone for privacy glass in all my cars, most have had it as standard. Dog just loves the boot of a car. Think her favourite was our Scirocco. She is not at all happy on a car seat but she'll sleep for hours in the boot of any car.
135970708.1JveCziM.003.jpg

Lovely dog you have.
B218652E-EBE6-4C16-86DB-B55A5FF7944E.jpeg
2CE3E74C-143B-4778-9096-0F51B94B7507.jpeg

I know it was a winters day but you can see how dark it is in there.

I know it was a winters day but you can see how dark it is in there.
You can. Dealer will tint the windows for a lot less than Volvo charge if we go for the Inscription, it's standard on the R Design. We usually buy a Hatchbag boot cover, you can just see it in the Scirocco photo, for the cars but I still have an old Audi Q3 one in the house so hoping we could make that one fit. They keep the boot lovely and clean.

You a Spurs man? My cousin use to play for them.........long time ago. He's in the Legends' Bar.

Stuck in traffic today:

Me: what about that XC40?
Wife: No way it looks like a box! :laugh:

I think a test drive will make the difference.

As you get older your ability to get into a car matters. The door height of my wife's MG EV is 22cm higher than my lovely vRS and it's so much easier to get into :laugh:

Stuck in traffic today:

Me: what about that XC40?
Wife: No way it looks like a box! :laugh:

I think a test drive will make the difference.

I'm not a fan of Star Wars, but if I was I'd get an XC40 in white. They remind me of a storm troopers helmet. :)

Looks like it's going to be Denim Blue with black leather interior. That's today mind you, who knows about tomorrow. There are just two black, one of which is a no cost option and solid, one grey, one silver, the Denim Blue and a red, all metallic. Not forgetting Dony's Storm Tropper.

Not much choice.

Looks like it's going to be Denim Blue with black leather interior. That's today mind you, who knows about tomorrow. There are just two black, one of which is a no cost option and solid, one grey, one silver, the Denim Blue and a red, all metallic. Not forgetting Dony's Storm Tropper.

Not much choice.

My current car is the first I've specified with a light interior. I'm not sure I could go back to black (though never say never) as the cabin feels bigger and is so light and airy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom