Volvo XC40

Is it Diesel or Petrol? Disappointing re the creaks and squeaks in the cabin and the fuel consumption.
I have a XC60 2 ltr diesel auto bought new in 2014 never heard a creak or squeak and very happy with the fuel consumption, haven’t used eco mode.
SIL bought the car, so looking forward to seeing it ( could be my next purchase).

So how is the XC40? good and bad please. My SIL is probably buying one today.
Five weeks in and just 900 miles on the clock. Very comfortable, I have electric memory seats and they are good. Quiet on the road with the 197bhp petrol B4, autobox can be jerky at low speed and is not as slick as a VW DSG. Great driving position. I'm happy with the petrol consumption overall showing 36 mpg and I've got 46 at motorway speeds.

Bad points and some of them are odd. No engine temperature guage or oil temperature guage either. Display doesn't let you know what gear you are in with the auto box. There is no park position on the gear level and you have to press the park button when the box is put in neutral. The computer screen and setting things up is infuriating to an old fart like me.

Steering is light and makes it easy to drive in town and once you get use to the chassis you can push it along as the body roll doesn't dent your confidence although the Cocker does slide around in the boot. Fit and finish is very good, no rattles or creaks yet and at first look and first few weeks it seems up to Audi standards, certainly better than VW which seems to be going backwards.

I can't really say any of those things are bad because, part from the computer, I've quickly got use to them. Wife absolutely loves it and puts it ahead of the Audi Q3 we had.

Is it Diesel or Petrol? Disappointing re the creaks and squeaks in the cabin and the fuel consumption.
I have a XC60 2 ltr diesel auto bought new in 2014 never heard a creak or squeak and very happy with the fuel consumption, haven’t used eco mode.
SIL bought the car, so looking forward to seeing it ( could be my next purchase).

It is Petrol 2 litre T4 AWD. My Golf was diesel.

It is Petrol 2 litre T4 AWD. My Golf was diesel.
I put a Golf GTD in for the XC40. Thought about the AWD but then I never had a flake of snow land on my Audi Q3 Quattro in the three winters I had it. So I decided to save a few bob with just a FWD.

For me AWD is not just about snow and ice, it makes the car more sure footed and better handling in all general driving situations, and I would not be without it. When I go full electric, it will be with an AWD no question.

For me AWD is not just about snow and ice, it makes the car more sure footed and better handling in all general driving situations, and I would not be without it. When I go full electric, it will be with an AWD no question.
There's no doubting the extra grip that you get for a 4x4 in slippery and wet conditions. At my time of life if it's raining cats and dogs I'll just curl up in bed and wait for it to stop. Even with a 4x4 the weak point is always going to be the nut behind the wheel. No accounting for that particular part failing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom