VR Gaming Chat

Is this accurate or just another example of you inventing statistics in order to support your agenda?

Your made 3 posts on this forum so far today. All of which have criticised my posts without providing facts of your own. So you are actually at 100%. Do you not realise the negative impact you are having on this forum? Because all your posts are negative. That’s fact.

Your made 3 posts on this forum so far today. All of which have criticised my posts without providing facts of your own.

I don't have any facts. I'm just speculating that you don't either, despite your posts claiming otherwise.
Because all your posts are negative. That’s fact.

You interpret them as negative, because they challenge your unsubstantiated facts.

I view them as constructive, because they challenge your unsubstantiated facts.

just because someone challenges your claims, it doesn't make them wrong, or negative.

Do you not realise the negative impact you are having on this forum?

November in this forum was a peaceful, cordial, constructive, good humoured, balancecd, polite month.

Go figure.

Lol

ED at least get the basics right before questioning some one else. Valve don’t have share holders they’re a private company. Unlike Facebook they don’t have to answer to anyone apart from GabeN. It’s his decision alone that’s allowing you to buy and play Alyx on your Oculus headset.

I agree with most of that but the reason its coming to all HMDs including the 50% (estimated) of SteamVR users with Oculus HMDs is money. not the goodness of Gabes heart. Good old business common sence.

Unlike Facebook they don’t have to answer to anyone apart from GabeN. It’s his decision alone that’s allowing you to buy and play Alyx on your Oculus headset.

This is hilarious.

Steam aren't 'allowing' me to play their game.

They're providing an opportunity to play it, should I wish to pay £40 or whatever it is.

This is not goodwill. It's commerce.

This is hilarious.

Steam aren't 'allowing' me to play their game.

They're providing an opportunity to play it, should I wish to pay £40 or whatever it is.

This is not goodwill. It's commerce.

Steam have made a wrapper to allow Oculus HMDs to work on Steam. That decision came from GabeN because he owns Valve.

If it was down to commerce where’s Facebooks wrapper for Vives and Indexes?

People’s arguments are so contradictory it’s hilarious.

November in this forum was a peaceful, cordial, constructive, good humoured, balancecd, polite month.

Go figure.

Put me on ignore it’s as simple as that.

Steam have made a wrapper to allow Oculus HMDs to work on Steam. That decision came from GabeN because he owns Valve.

Yes. And I think that potential profit, and market share, and competition were factors in this decision. I think fluffy inclusiveness and kindness were less of a factor.

That's the bit we don't know the answer to, and that there has been much speculation about.

Could it be that (and I don't understand this to this technical level so this is blind speculation) that Oculus allowed deeper hardware access to their devices than Steam allowed to theirs? This seemed to be a popular rumour a while ago but it's gone quiet so maybe it was disproven.

Another is that Oculus are fairly new and inexperienced. Maybe it's taken all of the development resource that they have available to make their titles comfortable on Oculus devices.

Providing official support for other headsets means that they're accountable. if they say this title will work on a Vive it has to work on a Vive. If it doesn't, then customers quite rightly want returns, refunds.

Maybe they were not, and are not yet, in a position where they could guarantee that.

It seems to me that the current situation benefits Valve commercially more than it does Oculus. Valve can profit from 100% of the PC VR market, Oculus 50%.

That could be construed as fluffly wuffy lovely liberal Valve wanting everyone to have the same opportunities, or it could be commercially shrewd Valve protecting their market share and profits from potential competition.

I know which one I believe.

There's an opinion for you.

We seem to have had a number of star wars games now, either officially licensed like Vader Immortal or clearly inspired by like Beat Sabre.

Light Sabre stuff is an easy crowd pleaser but I'd like an experience where I'm C3PO onboard the Millennium Falcon playing hologram chess against Chewbacca. Would love to be intimidated by an increasingly frustrated wookie while planning my moves. Game ends when Chewie rips both your arms off.

People’s arguments are so contradictory it’s hilarious.

Facebook are against using a wrapper because they don't want the same situation for alternative headsets that's there for Rift owners - poor performance. They want all headset owners to have an equal high quality experience when buying their games.

Going by what Palmer Luckey said a while back HTC or Valve aren't giving them permission to add native support to those headsets. Why not? Because it's not in Valve's business interest to do so because Vive and Index headsets when run under the Oculus environment would run better in games bought from the Oculus Store than they would for the same games bought on Steam thanks to ASW 2.0. So Valve would end up losing money if people started buying better performing games from the Oculus Store instead of Steam.

We've gone over all of this multiple times and you're still having problems grasping it.

It's in Oculus' business interest to have native support for Vive and Index headsets. It's not in Valve's business interest to have native support for Vive and Index headsets on a directly competing Store.

Honestly, it really isn't rocket surgery.

Read this.

I don’t have anything against Facebook buying Studios but at least let’s be honest about why companies such as Sony and Facebook buy them. Where as Valve release Alyx as an exclusive on the Steam Store, SteamVR supports all headsets. Valve don’t seek to exclude anyone. Sony bought Insomniac to sell games on its exclusive console/ecosystem. But Facebook buy Studios that sell on PC which up until now has always been a open platform and then exclude half the PC VR headsets, the total opposite to what Valve do.

Now if Alyx had of been an Index only title I can only imagine the carnage that decision would of created not only for VR but for PC in general.

So I find it hard to understand why some champion Facebooks business model on exclusivity forcing people to hack their software while at the same time look forward to Alyx taking advantage of Valves inclusiveness. Both can’t be right, right?

As it happens I don’t own Beat Saber nor do I intend to buy it. I don’t own Space Pirate Trainer or Super Hot. But I might buy Pistol Whip over Christmas if I feel bored after Boneworks. Who knows.
I certainly dont champion facebook!.
I wish everyone could officially support all headsets..... Oculus store doesnt. You are convinced that is because oculus dont want to. You may be right, however Palmer Lucky a few years ago claimed oculus reached out to valve WRT natively supporting the vive but claims they were knocked back

perhaps he was lying. I do not claim to know. Logically however it seems obvious to me it is valve who are the only ones benefiting in the current situation.

now...... here is the thing. I am fairly certian HL-A WONT natively support the rift. it will use the steamVR wrapper..... that is ok, and wont stop be buying it necessarily but i dont see that as supporting the rift any more than Revive supports the vive.

Native support is what i consider interesting....... Steam does have an advantage here because some titles do have native rift support on them.... where as oculus titles - even the ones which have native support on steam - afaik does not have steamvr support in on the oculus version. (out of curiousity has anyone tried the oculus version of ED for instance using a vive?).

on the steam store it seems to be pot luck (Eg Arizona sunshine and Pinball FX dont support the rift natively on steam, you have to have oculus store version)..... but either way, i will be stunned if HL-A supports the rift properly...
I really hope one day this will all be sorted out with oculus and steam embracing openXR and all titles supporting it. Then these petty squabbles may finally be put to bed.

TLDR you clearly have your good guys and bad guys firmly laid out, however none of the information i have seen proves it 1 way or the other who is at fault.

Last edited:
They've bought the studio, perhaps because they have something else coming down the pipe that they want as an exclusive. Doesn't really affect Beat Saber, other than you'd now be paying into Facebook coffers if you buy it.

Maybe they see the future of it as a bit of a singstar social franchise.

I'm surprised that Facebook haven't bought more developers tbh, particularly Insomniac because they've developed several exclusives for the Rift.

I'd quite like them to buy Crytek tbh and get staff in to run it properly. That would give them a decent team of developers and a decent engine that they could either licence out or make available for free to VR developers in the Oculus Start programme.

We could see Crytek being one of the top studios again.

We could see Crytek being one of the top studios again.
If they could get something like the original FarCry to run in VR I'd lap it up, but I wouldn't bother if it was an Oculus exclusive. Not on Steam, not interested quite frankly.

If they could get something like the original FarCry to run in VR I'd lap it up, but I wouldn't bother if it was an Oculus exclusive. Not on Steam, not interested quite frankly.

If you're not buying any Oculus Store exclusives you're missing out on most of the best VR games available. Particularly now Revive is a thing.

If you're not buying any Oculus Store exclusives you're missing out on most of the best VR games available. Particularly now Revive is a thing.
Perhaps. But I'm not prepared to part money for something that's relies on a third-party product and where the license does not guaranteed it to work. There are plenty of quality VR games on Steam.

Plenty on there, yes. But MUCH more available on the Oculus Store and mostly of better quality too. There are a few games on Steam that are on a par with the Facebook funded games but they are few and far between. You've either got VR enabled ports like Skyrim VR, Fallout 4 VR and Borderlands 2 VR or games that Facebook have funded and have allowed to be on a competing Store like SuperHOT VR, Dreadhalls, The Mage's Tale and Killing Floor Incursion.

You're missing out on the likes of The Climb, Feral Rites, Edge Of Nowhere, Chronos, Lucky's Tale, Vader Immortal, Arktika.1, Dead & Buried, Face Your Fears, Robo Recall, From Other Suns, Technolust, Robinson The Journey, Lone Echo, Echo Arena and the recently released Asgard's Wrath and Stormlands.

You've either got VR enabled ports like Skyrim VR, Fallout 4 VR and Borderlands 2 VR or games that Facebook have funded and have allowed to be on a competing Store

I do feel you're selling Steam a little short there... Just thinking out loud, as well as what you mentioned, the Truck Simulators, Raw Data, Moss, Five Nights at Freddy's, Poker Stars, Gallery Ep 1 and 2, Doctor Who, Budget Cuts 2, Arizona Sunshine, Pavlov, Doom VFR, the Serious Sam games, Talos Principle, Sairento VR...

Not all Steam exclusives but some are... Like VR Paradise :D

You can get a list of all Steam VR games sorted by different metrics, I can't remember how.

To be honest, I rarely have time these days to play the games I've already bought. I want to get stuck back into NMS, but quite often I settle for a quick shooting fest with Pavlov. Or VR Paradise :laugh:

Oh... And worth mentioning two little known titles exclusive to Steam VR... Boneworks and Half Life: Alyx :cool:

I do feel you're selling Steam a little short there... Just thinking out loud, as well as what you mentioned, the Truck Simulators, Raw Data, Moss, Five Nights at Freddy's, Poker Stars, Gallery Ep 1 and 2, Doctor Who, Budget Cuts 2, Arizona Sunshine, Pavlov, Doom VFR, the Serious Sam games, Talos Principle, Sairento VR...

Not all Steam exclusives but some are... Like VR Paradise :D

You can get a list of all Steam VR games sorted by different metrics, I can't remember how.

I was specifically talking about exclusives. Anyone refusing to buy games exclusive to the Oculus Store will be missing out on those games. Many of those games you've listed above can be bought from the Oculus Store.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom