VR Gaming Chat

and doesnt work with index lol
is that a knuckles controller thing? Does the index not have full vive backwards compatibility then?

All posts in the index reddit said they can’t get past the main screen on the game

gaaah dupe post.

Massive shift in developer interest in the last year.
Nice to see the Index has a healthy figure this soon in its life. Overall % is up and more platforms than before, as long as it doesn't get to fragmented.

1579977473636.png

1579977513084.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s all a bit meaningless. They should just do a WMR - Oculus - SteamVR - Stand-alone list. I don’t understand why a dev wound develop for a specific HMD.

It’s all a bit meaningless. They should just do a WMR - Oculus - SteamVR - Stand-alone list. I don’t understand why a dev wound develop for a specific HMD.
This was taken from a developers conference so I guess they need to see the extra detail in the figures.
Overall the interest is up across the board, which is good all round.

Who is interested in developing for Go? It's just been dropped officially as a business device, it's games are hugely limited and even oculus are only gonna promote as a media viewer now (which is what it is good at but not sure it needs much developing for it for that)

You'll probably find a good chunk of those developers working on the Quest having plans to port their games and apps to the Rift/Rift S if they're not developing both versions in tandem. It's A LOT easier to port from a lower powered device to a higher powered device.

With my game I'm planning on porting it to the Quest if Oculus give the go ahead for it (assuming that I ever get it finished lol) :laugh::rotfl:

Haven't worked on the game since I got back to London on Monday because I've had a builder in doing work in my kitchen all week so there's been a SHITLOAD of builders dust all over the bloody place. And the ****er didn't shut my bedroom door while he was working on it whilst I was away which is a REAL pain in the arse! I did do a bit of work on it whilst I was away though.

Have now created a space skybox and the graphics for my menus, just got to sort out the menus themselves in Unreal and get the control options and supersampling options sorted out in Blueprints and then I can start on building a few procedurally generated levels.

I also need to do my Game Design Document again because I lost the bloody thing when I lost a couple of hard drive contents when my PC got compromised last year. :(

Just a quick update on my PPI refund. I got a cheque for £1036.51 cos the taxman has taken 30 quid or so of it. Out of that I need to give the PPI refund company their 24% cut which is £255.16 and I'm paying off the balance of my Capital One credit card which is going to leave me with £496 or so.

So I'm going to use that to pay off some of my Vanquis credit card debt.

I've signed the thing saying I want to go for the full refund but reading the bumph I got from Capital One I don't think I'm going to be able to get any more. When I applied for the credit card I filled in the application online and checked the PPI box so I wasn't (mis)sold the PPI by a person, so I don't think their solicitors will take this to court; I think they have a 100% record because they only take cases they're guaranteed to win.

Still, almost 500 quid is almost 500 quid better than absolutely nothing, plus I have the added bonus of paying off 285 quid and clearing the balance on one of my cards.

Not sure if I'm going to get the Yaw VR Motion Simulator this year now, I've got an extra 500 quid going towards it so I might give it a go. I'll see how I'm feeling about it nearer the time I think.

I’ve been having a bit of a VR clear out. Just sold my OG Vive and DAS. Got £550 for the two. The Pimax 5k+ is next me thinks.

I’m trying not to think about the 8kX too much but I did dream about it last night. Lol.

Wahay at long last Steam have started updating the SteamVr user interface.
This has been needed for a long time as this is the main area Steam falls behind on.
This is only the first Beta for this and some of the functions revert back to big picture. My favourite bit is the desktop view which has a curve, this makes web browsing much nicer. This can be resized as well, it needs to have an option to adjust the height on this as your eyes tend to be centred in the lower part of the desktop. If they could add pinning windows it would be up the with the Oculus dash.

The library is nicely laid out as well.
1581011573564.png

The new dashboard does look beautiful.

I'm thinking it's time to get back into VR and have some fun.

There's a bit of money lying around so first thing to do will be to replace the 980Ti.

I'm thinking probably a 2070 Super. I think I mentioned something about it a month or two back on a thread here and the general consensus was to wait for the next generation of GPUs. I guess that's more prevalent now?

They seem to be around the £500 mark and I'd be prepared to spend another hundred or two on something decent.

There's already a decent CPU in there so that may get me to a place where I can start looking at more graphics hungry newer HMDs.

@Presuming Ed I've got a GTX 1080, so not a milion miles from an RTX 2070 Super, and realistically I can't run the Index at 120 fps. I've definitely got the RTX 3080 in my sights for this year. I think you might want to raise your ambitions a little if you're thinking about the newer HMDs.

Thanks @Nivek TT - or perhaps lower my HMD ambitions a bit!

I'm sure a 2070 super will provide a nice smooth experience in my old Rift for now!

I have a 1080ti and it's practically the same performance as the 2070S
It smashes everything I have tried on the rift, and I expect the same of any gen 1 VR headset.
I also think it will be ok for the index as well albeit not full detail at 120fps.

mmmmmm I think it’s to late for HTC to turn their bad sales around?

I just can't get any enthusiasm what so ever for any of them. Inside out tracking is not 100% as good as outside in... But any device to compete with rift s or quest needs to track at least as good as the oculus devices. Cosmos fails here AND is more expensive AND is lacking the oculus infrastructure

Ok so then there is the one with lighthouse tracking

However this is a gnats whisker off the price of the index but lower FOV, lower refresh rate and lacking knuckles and the high quality sound of the index.

I see hard times ahead for HTC. I see they are also releasing a standalone. On the surface of it hardware may be interesting. Much better than the quest, but without knowing what software will be on the store front and how good ant pc connectivity is ... Well let's just say I would not be investing my cash in either HTC the company or their products.

Unbelievable. The Elite model is the only one worth looking at, and it comes with the old 1.0 basestations and wands...for £900.

What really gets me though is the Vive Pro package for £1120 (on promotion, normally £1200) which still comes with the wands. You can actually buy the Pro headset, Index controllers and basestations for £1140.

(yes, I know the whole index package is only £920, but I'm considering OLED HMDs and HTC's weird pricing... it's as if they're completely unaware that the Index exists)

OLEDs are great but i fear they are a dead end WRT VR. In some ways this reminds me of plasma TVs in the 2010ish era.
When they were phased out at that time they were still better than the LCD TVs which replaced them in many ways but it didn't stop their demise. It took a good few years imo and very high end LCD TVs with local dimming backlight control (and then OLED sets of course) to really best a well set up plasma.
VRnis there now imo. The new hmds in plenty of ways can't match OLED, but it still won't save OLED for VR imo. Best bet is wait a few years till new tech catches up (I hung on to my 2009 plasma for nearly 9 years !)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom