VR race games and gear....

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are considered the finest vr racing experiences at the moment? I’ve been away from PC racing for at least a couple of years. Used to be heavily into iRacing, and have Assetto Corsa on my system, along with Dirt Rally and LFS. I prefer single-seater racing on the whole, with realism much more important than graphical razzmatazz.

Also, I will need to invest in some new hardware. Any recommendations? I don’t want to go mad, but don’t want any MadCatz sh!t. G29 quality a minimum, I guess. Not sure I’ll stretch to high end pedals as I have in the past.

Thanks for that. Well, at least I already have AC, so that’s good. I’ll check out the mods. I had a Thrustmaster T300 something or other last time around, with some upgraded pedals, and was fairly pleased with it. I’ll have a look into joining your league once I’m up and running again, although I’m likely to be well off the pace these days. Cheers :)

Seriously don’t worry about pace - as the name implies; although we do run regular “leagues” it is all VERY friendly with the emphasis on enjoyment. We do have a few (very fast) drivers (without egos), but also a number of varied paced guys with (friendly) battles throughout the grid.

That sounds great. Even when I was in my racing prime, I was only ever good for mid-pack. I’m now 56, and the reactions are noticeably reduced, so battle not to be last is about as much as I dare hope for these days :laugh:

Know how you feel! I’m 46 and struggle to find time (not that we promote too much practice), we have a few “mature” gents, so you certainly wouldn’t feel out of place :)

Depending on your PC spec... I love ACC but it eats up performance.

And AC as above... although going back to AC from ACC feels sooooo wrong :D

A fanatec CSW 2.5 is a great wheel base.... oh and i'll have one for sale in the next few days ... maybe you need some independent reviews too :p

A fanatec CSW 2.5 is a great wheel base.... oh and i'll have one for sale in the next few days ... maybe you need some independent reviews too :p

ACC is nice but definitely a decent PC is required (especially in VR!).

CSW is a great wheel, and what I use so a recommendation from me :)

with realism much more important than graphical razzmatazz.

rFactor2. Beginning, middle and end really.

Has good VR implementation when driving (SteamVR only but works on my Oculus Rift). The whole UI is shabby but apparently going to be replaced.

They also have a new online competition system coming which will hopefully increase the online player base.

Also, I will need to invest in some new hardware. Any recommendations? I don’t want to go mad, but don’t want any MadCatz sh!t. G29 quality a minimum, I guess. Not sure I’ll stretch to high end pedals as I have in the past.

I use a Thrustmaster T300 RS wheel which is a little more expensive than the Logitech but much smoother and stronger.

I didn't like any Thrustmaster pedals so I bought an adapter for the wheel that allows me to connect some Thrustmaster G29 pedals with the Nixim spring mod, which I like.

Hi, sorry for the dramatic pause. I’ve been really busy last couple of days. I’m sure the CSW is a great base, but I fear that it would be the start of a very deep rabbit hole for me. I can’t put myself in the position of looking at high-end gear, because I can’t be trusted. Within 6 months I’ll be looking at motion rig platforms, hydraulic pedals and all sorts of goodies. Nope, I have to keep it relatively affordable :(

rFactor2. Beginning, middle and end really.

Has good VR implementation when driving (SteamVR only but works on my Oculus Rift). The whole UI is shabby but apparently going to be replaced.

They also have a new online competition system coming which will hopefully increase the online player base.

I use a Thrustmaster T300 RS wheel which is a little more expensive than the Logitech but much smoother and stronger.

I didn't like any Thrustmaster pedals so I bought an adapter for the wheel that allows me to connect some Thrustmaster G29 pedals with the Nixim spring mod, which I like.

Thanks for the info. I could well end up with another T300 myself, as the last one served me well. Pedals I shall look into.

Regarding rFactor 2 - Unless much has changed then I’m not really too much of a fan. I always seemed to spend more time under the bonnet, trying to get it to play nicely, than I did on the track enjoying myself. I think there was too much modding going on at the time, and it just seemed a never ending battle trying to endure that one was running the correct track version, the latest car, and all sorts of things running in the background. Having said all of the above, I’ve never tried it in VR.

Regarding rFactor 2 - Unless much has changed then I’m not really too much of a fan. I always seemed to spend more time under the bonnet, trying to get it to play nicely, than I did on the track enjoying myself. I think there was too much modding going on at the time, and it just seemed a never ending battle trying to endure that one was running the correct track version, the latest car, and all sorts of things running in the background. Having said all of the above, I’ve never tried it in VR.

Yeah I understand - it's still a frustration but it's improving.

Most of the (good) mod content is now Steam workshop so updates kind of look after themselves.

It does desperately need the new UI - the big barriers for me now are clunkiness of getting onto the track, and lack of online activity.

If they can crack them, then it's a serious contender.

Just out of curiosity...... Did you sell the wheel base in the end?

Bugger! I should have snapped it up when you mentioned it. Hows the DD1?

Well there is big noticeable difference between a belt drive wheel and a DD.

Having said that, you soon get used to what youve got. It goes from being a game changer to normal in about 5 laps :D

I am thinking of using a DOF p3 mover , pantec sport pack ,but don`t really want x3 27" monitors swinging around .
What is the best vr head set out there at the moment for best resolution ,just for sim racing..
I won`t be using it for vr war games and the like just racing and flight sim.

Difficult to say as a lot of those that use lighthouses have issues with tracking on a motion rig and you cant attach a sensor to your rig either due to lighthouses having moving parts.
The Oculus CV1 is possibly one of the only sensors that can be rig mounted, but its dated now (meaning you can pick it up cheaply, so not a bad thing).
Those with inside out tracking also have issues as they try to track things in the room plus the moving rig that causes it confusion.
I think I would go for the index as it appears one of the better HMDs out there, and find a way of getting the tracking to work. Or go for something like the Quest which is getting some good updates soon.

I think I would go for the index as it appears one of the better HMDs out there, and find a way of getting the tracking to work. Or go for something like the Quest which is getting some good updates soon.

Will Index work with one lighthouse if you're just going to use it for sim racing ?

Really don't know, I am still using the Rift CV1 as I dare not change it over due to the issues I have read.
There may also be EMI (electro magnetic interference) issue too, where your screen goes black when you touch the HMD.
I only use mine for sim racing too, and have an SFX100 motion rig.

Looks like you just need to buy one lighthouse with the headset for sim racing. Still quite expensive at £600 but I'll probably go for that:-

Just building a sim rig at the moment (I bought a Rift in July 2016 but I sold it a few weeks later as I didn't think it was good enough).

If anyone is interested, Dirt Rally 2 deluxe is £25.99 on the Humble store.
Its still £64.99 on Steam, so a decent saving, especially now it supports Oculus and they appear to have sorted the issues out with performance.

The base version is £17.99, but the upgrade for season 1 and 2 (that comes with the deluxe) is £24.99, so the version for £25.99 is best value.

Aha! Found the VR racing thread.

I have been playing loads of racing games recently - blame getting a G920 wheel recently, all of them are pretty darn good once you get the wheel set up but I have to say, Automobilista 2 is the only one to make me car sick. Out of all the games, I think it portrays the best representation of track undulations.

Also really like both PC2, AC and ACC. Dirt Rally 2 is very tough to play.

Really wish Codemasters would do their F1 series with VR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom