Question VR SLI

Faded7

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have two TITAN X (Pascal) in SLI and I am about to order my first VR device Valve Index Kit,

my question is will both my GPUs will work with in SLI or only the one I link to the headset?
if so, is there any settings I should be aware of to enable for both of my GPUs or it's automatic?

my rig:
2x Titan X (Pascal)
Intel Core i7 6950X 3.00GHz
64 GB RAM

I have been searching for an answer almost 2 days now, and still didn't get any info that I can understand!

answers are much appreciated

Respectfully.

my rig.png

As far as I remember dual GPUs don't work in VR so you'll have to choose one of the two to use I'm afraid โ˜น

And welcome to the forums!

If you haven't experienced VR before...

Your.

Mind.

Will.

Be.

Blown.

๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜

And I think you'll have to remove the SLI dongle thingy too.

As far as I remember dual GPUs don't work in VR so you'll have to choose one of the two to use I'm afraid โ˜น

And welcome to the forums!

If you haven't experienced VR before...

Your.

Mind.

Will.

Be.

Blown.

๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜

Are you sure that I have to remove the SLI bridge and only use one of the GPUs?
as for the the VR yes its my first time and I'm counting on my mind gets bowing by experiencing it for the first time ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks for the welcoming and the replay I really appreciated.

Yep. @thesnowdog is right. If SLI worked for VR it would be the answer to most peopleโ€˜s prayers. Alas, it doesnโ€™t.

Ok, hold your horses. Some misinformation going on here.

SLI does work with VR, however it is only supported in a handful (literally around 5) titles. The reason it's not more widely adopted has to do with the main engines (UE4 and Unity) used for VR development. UE4 does now support VR in SLI, but since most VR developers are small independent studios, and SLI users with VR are a percent within a percent on Steam user surveys, you can understand why they don't put any effort into it.

More importantly, you don't have to disable any of your cards or "remove the SLI bridge". Just plug the headset into a port on your primary card and enjoy.

Last edited:
Ok, hold your horses. Some misinformation going on here.

SLI does work with VR, however it is only supported in a handful (literally around 5) titles. The reason it's not more widely adopted has to do with the main engines (UE4 and Unity) used for VR development. UE4 does now support VR in SLI, but since most VR developers are small independent studios, and SLI users with VR are a percent within a percent on Steam user surveys, you can understand why they don't put any effort into it.

More importantly, you don't have to disable any of your cards or "remove the SLI bridge". Just plug the headset into a port on your primary card and enjoy.

This info is really cleared a lot of things for me!
Thank you so much for the reply I appreciated.

Respectfully

This info is really cleared a lot of things for me!
Thank you so much for the reply I appreciated.

Respectfully
No problem. I've been running a 1080 SLI rig with VR for about 3 or 4 years now, never had an issue. The reason I actually got SLI was for the promise of ultimate VR performance, but sadly that hasn't been fully or even partially realised over the years. Still, it's at least a beast with traditional monitor gaming.

As snowdog says, if you've never experienced true 6 degrees of freedom VR, this is going to blow your socks off!

Be warned you'll quickly become a "VR snob", looking down - even laughing - at those sorry sad sacks still gaming on their pathetic 4K monitors and TVs, thinking it's cutting edge.

Last edited:
No problem. I've been running a 1080 SLI rig with VR for about 3 or 4 years now, never had an issue. The reason I actually got SLI was for the promise of ultimate VR performance, but sadly that hasn't been fully or even partially realised over the years. Still, it's at least a beast with traditional monitor gaming.

As snowdog says, if you've never experienced true 6 degrees of freedom VR, this is going to blow your socks off!

Be warned you'll quickly become a "VR snob", looking down - even laughing - at those sorry sad sacks still gaming on their pathetic 4K monitors and TVs, thinking it's cutting edge.

Well, I'm actually looking forward to that experience and I sure did wait long years for it but finally I'll feel it and see it for myself.

Btw I did take their test " Is your computer ready for Valve Index VR"

oDfuiFX.png

also I'm still sorry sad sack who is gaming on my 4K monitor lol, so it's my turn to see other people this way!

Thanks again for all the info you provided, I feel I can't wait for the 2 months shipping that Valve going to make me wait until I get the VR kit :)

Just to temper your expectations slightly, the Index is not going to match your 4K monitor in terms of perceived visual resolution - think more of something between 1080 and 1440p.

But what you'll gain is a sheer immersive 3D stereoscopic visual experience that no 4K monitor can match. And that's before you even get to the spacial audio and fully-tracked motion controllers (those aren't your grandma's Wiimotes!). Trust me, you'll love it ๐Ÿ˜Š

Just to temper your expectations slightly, the Index is not going to match your 4K monitor in terms of perceived visual resolution - think more of something between 1080 and 1440p.

But what you'll gain is a sheer immersive 3D stereoscopic visual experience that no 4K monitor can match. And that's before you even get to the spacial audio and fully-tracked motion controllers (those aren't your grandma's Wiimotes!). Trust me, you'll love it ๐Ÿ˜Š

For the Index I read this about the resolution,
"Display. The headset uses a 1440ร—1600 LCD panel for each eye for a combined resolution of 2880ร—1600. The panels are full RGB and can operate at refresh rates of 80 Hz, 90 Hz, 120 Hz"

My monitor that I currently use is the Alienware 34 curved 3440x1440p, Gsync, 120Hz.
So if the Index is close to that with what you said a 3D stereoscopic visual experience I would be very happy with it, also I heard bunch of great feedback about the speakers or the sound that it comes with it.

at the end, until I start use and feel the the whole VR kit for first time then I can see what you and all people are talking about when it comes to the VR experience and I'm sure excited for that!

You have my gratitude for the knowledge I gained through this post.

It's like the Matrix - you have to see it for yourself ;)

Although you should be careful about Sim Sickness to begin with.

Try to stick with the comfort options that a lot of games have enabled by default at first, and if you start to feel a little odd or uncomfortable or start to sweat profusely then STOP immediately by pausing the game you're playing.

Then keeping your headset on chill out and relax for a minute or two and then take your headset off.

Then have a LONG break, at least a couple of hours.

Then after you've had a break start again and take the same precautions ๐Ÿ˜

You might be one of the lucky ones like my good self who's completely immune to Sim Sickness and you won't need any comfort options but you'll be in the minority.

The worst thing you can do is start to feel a bit dodgy and then try and power through it because if you do this you can make yourself want to throw up, and if you do that too often your brain will begin to associate wearing a headset with the body being poisoned, so even putting a headset on will make you feel ill ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ

Agreed. Try some 1-to-1 room scale experiences first like The Lab and The Blu to get your VR feet virtually wet. Even though they're now quite old, they're still some of the best out there for general wow moments.

Jumping straight into something like Google Earth and whizzing around the planet at high speed will likely make you nauseous at first if you're not used to it (it has an anti-sickness mode though). Same applies to a lot of games with fast smooth traversal control via the thumb stick - you can easily lose your balance and/or get motion sickness at first. Settle into it gently if needed - you'll build up tolerance very quickly.

Although you should be careful about Sim Sickness to begin with.

Try to stick with the comfort options that a lot of games have enabled by default at first, and if you start to feel a little odd or uncomfortable or start to sweat profusely then STOP immediately by pausing the game you're playing.

Then keeping your headset on chill out and relax for a minute or two and then take your headset off.

Then have a LONG break, at least a couple of hours.

Then after you've had a break start again and take the same precautions ๐Ÿ˜

You might be one of the lucky ones like my good self who's completely immune to Sim Sickness and you won't need any comfort options but you'll be in the minority.

The worst thing you can do is start to feel a bit dodgy and then try and power through it because if you do this you can make yourself want to throw up, and if you do that too often your brain will begin to associate wearing a headset with the body being poisoned, so even putting a headset on will make you feel ill ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ
Agreed. Try some 1-to-1 room scale experiences first like The Lab and The Blu to get your VR feet virtually wet. Even though they're now quite old, they're still some of the best out there for general wow moments.

Jumping straight into something like Google Earth and whizzing around the planet at high speed will likely make you nauseous at first if you're not used to it (it has an anti-sickness mode though). Same applies to a lot of games with fast smooth traversal control via the thumb stick - you can easily lose your balance and/or get motion sickness at first. Settle into it gently if needed - you'll build up tolerance very quickly.

I have heard of this which is called "Motion Sickness" I believe?
That's one of the reasons I haven't try to search out the best VR settings till I get my hands on it and try it first with default options.

Question: can you guys compare "Sim/Motion Sickness" to let's say the feeling of flying or being on a boat for longer times?
or even maybe when you have that feeling by going down/up stairs and there's one step your brain didn't put to count?

I think It's brain and body limit and reactions most likely, but I'd like to feel I'm hardass when to come to things like this because I've lived 33 years of my life in Iraq and I've been through, seen, felt, and witness things that even movies can't recreate! and I did come to the States/Texas two years ago. so does that might help in it? LOL!
(I feel what I just said its completely irrelevant) ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

at the end I really appreciate you guys trying to help me with all of this amazing info,
You guys have my absolute gratitude.

Btw could you guys do me a favor and put down a list that you recommend of games or apps that I should be aware of to start with as a first time VR user?

It's basically a form of sea sickness. Your eyes are telling your brain one thing (you're moving!) but your inner ear is saying another (no acceleration detected). I'd say it's like being inside a ferry that generally rocks side to side, but the horizon is not perceivable moving. Or reading in a car. Nausea can slowly build.

This isn't a problem for titles that limit your positional movement within your physical play space. It's more of a problem for titles where you have to virtually move distances beyond your physical area. Teleportation is one commonly implemented option which is safe for all users. Smooth gliding motions (like you find in any 2D first person shooter) is where it comes down to your individual tolerance. A lot of games support both movement methods and some hybrid options inbetween.

One common solution to those that are motion sensitive but want the smooth movement is to limit your field of view the faster you move (Google Earth has this option). Fast movement in your periphery tends to trigger motion sickness it seems.

It's actually the opposite of motion sickness. Motion sickness is caused by motion, simulation sickness is caused by simulated motion that your body DOESN'T experience, which throws some people's inner ear off.

I think my brain might be wired differently which is why I'm a) completely immune to both motion and simulation sickness and b) impossible to knock out ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

There's loads of great games out there, it depends on what sort of games you enjoy playing in flat-o-vision. ๐Ÿ˜

Sims and horror games are best suited to play in VR I think:

Sims:-

Elite Dangerous
DCS World
War Thunder
Il-2 Sturmovic
Project CARS 2
Assetto Corsa
American Truck Simulator
Euro Truck Simulator 2

Horror:-

Alien Isolation VR Mod
Dreadhalls
Five Nights At Freddy's Help Wanted VR
Duck Season
Affected The Manor
Paranormal Activity Lost Soul
Boogeyman
Boogeyman 2
Don't Knock Twice
Monstrum
Exorcist Legion VR
Wilson's Heart
Arizona Sunshine
Arktika.1
Killing Floor Incursion
Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Dead Secret
Dead Secret Circle
Face Your Fears

RPGs:-

Skyrim VR
Fallout 4 VR
No Man's Sky
Karnage Chronicles
Asgard's Wrath
Herobound Spirit Champion

Action-Adventure:-

Edge Of Nowhere
Chronos
From Other Suns
Lone Echo
Echo Arena
Stormland
The Mage's Tale
Obduction
Theseus
Vadar Immortal
Witchblood
Technolust
Robinson The Journey
Feral Rites
Windlands
Windlands 2
Moss
Lucky's Tale
Robot Recall
SuperHOT VR
Lone Echo
The Climb

Museums, Art & History:-

Night Cafe
Anne Frank House VR
1943 Berlin Blitz
Apollo 11 VR
Hold The World
TheBlu
Chernobyl VR Project
Diggers VR
Master Works Journey Through History
Mission ISS
Ocean Rift
Senza Peso
The Kremer Collection
Titans Of Space
Versailles VR The Palace Is Yours
Art Plunge

I've probably missed a good few out but those should keep you busy ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

A word of warning, you've never experienced a true horror game until you've tried it in VR. It is next level frightning!

I'm a total wuss when it comes to horror games, getting through the quarantine zone in half life alyx was a real acomplishment for me, lol.

A word of warning, you've never experienced a true horror game until you've tried it in VR. It is next level frightning!

I'm a total wuss when it comes to horror games, getting through the quarantine zone in half life alyx was a real acomplishment for me, lol.

Yup. And the s joint scariest games in that long list I gave are Alien Isolation VR Mod and Dreadhalls, with Monstrum and FNAF VR not too far behind them ๐Ÿ˜

You definitely need some clean underwear handy before you start playing horror VR games lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ฉ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

In four years of using this latest VR, I think I've only felt nauseous about 5 times (and I think it was my rig to blame - any excess latency gives you a subtle drunken effect where the image is slightly behind your movements head movements).

I've had a couple of friends though who really couldn't handle VR on certain titles (one was PCars 2 strangely enough - he was perfectly fine until he spun the car which completely freaked him out).

It's basically a form of sea sickness. Your eyes are telling your brain one thing (you're moving!) but your inner ear is saying another (no acceleration detected). I'd say it's like being inside a ferry that generally rocks side to side, but the horizon is not perceivable moving. Or reading in a car. Nausea can slowly build.

This isn't a problem for titles that limit your positional movement within your physical play space. It's more of a problem for titles where you have to virtually move distances beyond your physical area. Teleportation is one commonly implemented option which is safe for all users. Smooth gliding motions (like you find in any 2D first person shooter) is where it comes down to your individual tolerance. A lot of games support both movement methods and some hybrid options inbetween.

One common solution to those that are motion sensitive but want the smooth movement is to limit your field of view the faster you move (Google Earth has this option). Fast movement in your periphery tends to trigger motion sickness it seems.

This's really good info.

I don't think I have any kind of motion sickness before, so that might be beneficial to me.
I also did hear about the FOV change that could help and that's why I chose the Index to buy because its the best with FOV in the market now beside maybe the new HP G2 which is still not out.

It's actually the opposite of motion sickness. Motion sickness is caused by motion, simulation sickness is caused by simulated motion that your body DOESN'T experience, which throws some people's inner ear off.

I think my brain might be wired differently which is why I'm a) completely immune to both motion and simulation sickness and b) impossible to knock out ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

There's loads of great games out there, it depends on what sort of games you enjoy playing in flat-o-vision. ๐Ÿ˜

Sims and horror games are best suited to play in VR I think:

Sims:-

Elite Dangerous
DCS World
War Thunder
Il-2 Sturmovic
Project CARS 2
Assetto Corsa
American Truck Simulator
Euro Truck Simulator 2

Horror:-

Alien Isolation VR Mod
Dreadhalls
Five Nights At Freddy's Help Wanted VR
Duck Season
Affected The Manor
Paranormal Activity Lost Soul
Boogeyman
Boogeyman 2
Don't Knock Twice
Monstrum
Exorcist Legion VR
Wilson's Heart
Arizona Sunshine
Arktika.1
Killing Floor Incursion
Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Dead Secret
Dead Secret Circle
Face Your Fears

RPGs:-

Skyrim VR
Fallout 4 VR
No Man's Sky
Karnage Chronicles
Asgard's Wrath
Herobound Spirit Champion

Action-Adventure:-

Edge Of Nowhere
Chronos
From Other Suns
Lone Echo
Echo Arena
Stormland
The Mage's Tale
Obduction
Theseus
Vadar Immortal
Witchblood
Technolust
Robinson The Journey
Feral Rites
Windlands
Windlands 2
Moss
Lucky's Tale
Robot Recall
SuperHOT VR
Lone Echo
The Climb

Museums, Art & History:-

Night Cafe
Anne Frank House VR
1943 Berlin Blitz
Apollo 11 VR
Hold The World
TheBlu
Chernobyl VR Project
Diggers VR
Master Works Journey Through History
Mission ISS
Ocean Rift
Senza Peso
The Kremer Collection
Titans Of Space
Versailles VR The Palace Is Yours
Art Plunge

I've probably missed a good few out but those should keep you busy ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

This's quit a list lol I love it!

Yeah I don't think I'll start with any horror titles right away, want to get use to it first before jumping to action/horror titles

Not gonna lie I want to try NSFW VR before any big titles ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thank you for the list brother

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom