Wait for Q90T or get a bargain Q90R now?

will4000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have a 9 year old Samsung UE46D8000 (yes I know, ancient), but to be fair has held up very well, and most of my viewing is plain old broadcast HD TV (and YouTube), so haven't felt need to upgrade until now.

But finally time and mulling over waiting out April for the 2020 Samsung cohort (even though will be majorly more expensive) or biting bullet now.

- Will I need HDMI 2.1 or notice much of a difference over next 5 years (is it more for 8k and super hi frame rate 4k)?
- Lack of eARC support on Q90T? If using the Samsung Soundbar, will I even notice?

Richer Sounds have Q90T at 1799, and the Soundbar at 1499 (and give you a 400£ discount)

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I presume you're talking about 55" sizes?

Yep 55 (other half nixed my 65 inch plans, was looking at an LG C9 for that)

Or skip Sham-sung for a better TV?

I genuinely couldn't really see any difference between C9 and Q90 (and on the HDTV Test etc reviews on YT they didn't see too much).

Agree, Samsung are overpriced (or maintain their margins better, via working in brighter rooms, no screen burn risk, the one connect box, Apple TV app etc....)

Indeed, seems analogous to Apple (as in their competitors have better specs, but Samsung still have lot of the premium consumers locked in).

I’m in the same boat, according to the above the improvement on 2020 set seems significant. You could be looking at 8k for the price of 4K.

Hi Everyone, I have a 9 year old Samsung UE46D8000 (yes I know, ancient), but to be fair has held up very well, and most of my viewing is plain old broadcast HD TV (and YouTube), so haven't felt need to upgrade until now.

But finally time and mulling over waiting out April for the 2020 Samsung cohort (even though will be majorly more expensive) or biting bullet now.

- Will I need HDMI 2.1 or notice much of a difference over next 5 years (is it more for 8k and super hi frame rate 4k)?
- Lack of eARC support on Q90T? If using the Samsung Soundbar, will I even notice?

Richer Sounds have Q90T at 1799, and the Soundbar at 1499 (and give you a 400£ discount)

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Wow thats exactly the position im in!! I too have a 46d8000 and to be honest im wondering why im upgrading! Please tell me if you did upgrade and if there was an improvement? Thanks

Last edited:
Haven’t yet! Awaiting some $, likely end of the month

it’s 4K content is notice it on for sure, quite also like the sound of Dolby Atomos (and Dolby Atmos music

Wow thats exactly the position im in!! I too have a 46d8000 and to be honest im wondering why im upgrading! Please tell me if you did upgrade and if there was an improvement? Thanks
If you are not watching HDR sources like 4K discs or iTunes/Netflix 4k then keep your TV until you see a bargain. But if you do decide to buy a HDR TV, then as long as you understand that most mid-range HDR TVs are not very good, then you should be fine. OLEDs are generally very good and objectively better overall, but I still prefer LED. If you are looking at LED TVs then if you can ignore the fact that Samsung TVs cheat (even though they don't need to) then the kind of TVs you are looking at are very good TVs, but they are over priced. Not in an Apple way either, just over priced.

If you are not watching HDR sources like 4K discs or iTunes/Netflix 4k then keep your TV until you see a bargain. But if you do decide to buy a HDR TV, then as long as you understand that most mid-range HDR TVs are not very good, then you should be fine. OLEDs are generally very good and objectively better overall, but I still prefer LED. If you are looking at LED TVs then if you can ignore the fact that Samsung TVs cheat (even though they don't need to) then the kind of TVs you are looking at are very good TVs, but they are over priced. Not in an Apple way either, just over priced.

What are you reasons for preferring LED over OLED?

I've still not pulled the trigger on a new tv yet so trying to gather as much info as possible!

What are you reasons for preferring LED over OLED?

I've still not pulled the trigger on a new tv yet so trying to gather as much info as possible!
Just personal preference. I like the brighter hightlights and greater colour volume. The blacks are deeper on OLED but good LEDs have black levels that are more than good enough unless you "have to see" totally black letter bars.

Thankyou for the reply. Im just waiting details on the q90T. But ive heard this wide angle tech is killing contrast.

Thankyou for the reply. Im just waiting details on the q90T. But ive heard this wide angle tech is killing contrast.
I heard that it does make a difference but the trade off if you've got a large TV screen is that the picture still looks great off angle. Not a trade off I'm willing to take, but then I sit directly in front of the TV.

This suggests that you shouldn't wait at all for Samsung's 4k offerings this year. I'm as disappointed as anyone else as this is my upgrade year :(

How cheap You did get it?
In my country, prices have dropped little bit for q90r, it still costs way more than oled sets.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom