Wall Street in HD on Apple TV

baldrick

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We rented this movie last night and rather unfortunately the HD remastering process has given it a documentary/soap opera feel!

Is this common across HD versions of 'older' films?

We rented this movie last night and rather unfortunately the HD remastering process has given it a documentary/soap opera feel!

Is this common across HD versions of 'older' films?

Not really if you watch some old films on blu ray they look great and still have that movie look.

Yeah HD means documentary soap opera look. :confused::confused:

Yeah HD means documentary soap opera look. :confused::confused:
To be slightly more clear, whatever they'd done to achieve the HD resulted in the film looking wrong. Charlie Sheen or Michael Douglas would be in perfect crisp HD but the stuff around them wasn't so it looked weird?

I do know what you are getting at - there is a setting on my plasma, ironically called Movie Plus, that gives that kind of effect. It "seems" to speed up the motion, and bringing the focus (say the characters) to be sharper, whilst the background (say the room they are in or the scenery) to be not so much blurred, but "not in focus" if that makes sense?

I must admit, watching a film on Film4 with it turned on, I immediately thought "this looks like the type of filming you see on Neighbours or East Enders!

So I know what the OP means. However I've not got an ATV or watched any HD movies from iTunes, so I can't help you there lol

I do know what you are getting at - there is a setting on my plasma, ironically called Movie Plus, that gives that kind of effect. It "seems" to speed up the motion, and bringing the focus (say the characters) to be sharper, whilst the background (say the room they are in or the scenery) to be not so much blurred, but "not in focus" if that makes sense?

I must admit, watching a film on Film4 with it turned on, I immediately thought "this looks like the type of filming you see on Neighbours or East Enders!

So I know what the OP means. However I've not got an ATV or watched any HD movies from iTunes, so I can't help you there lol
Seems like it is the TV, not the movie! We had a new TV delivered on Friday which has a whole load of 'dynamic' PQ options and 'TruMotion'. Watching something on Sunday evening we got the same 'soap opera look' so I started playing with the settings and managed to remove it!

Question is then, did that fix the ATV problem?

Question is then, did that fix the ATV problem?
I am assuming so but I have not re-rented Wall Street to check! My thought was that maybe the HD re-mastering process of an old film was causing the movie to look 'weird' but it isn't/wasn't!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom