War of the Worlds (1953) 4K UHD

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Well, that’s interesting. I’d certainly be up for that, even though I have just got the HD version from down under.

4K UHD Fan

Day1 from me still a classic 1950s sci-fi movie but not sure how accurate the release is as Paramount have been very shy of 4K UHD Discs recently! They have loads of 4K HDR titles on iTunes which do not have a disc version for all those who prefer disc or do not have an apple system!!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
There are, it seems, ways to rip iTunes content for USB/disc playback, removing the DRM along the way, if you want to go that route. It concerns me that you can buy content on iTunes only to have it removed if a licensing or rights issue comes along at some point, from what I can make out, which seems wrong to me. What happens to titles you’ve bought and you decide to close your iTunes/Apple account? The simple fact is that it’s far cheaper to publish new titles purely in the digital realm, and skip physical media production costs. The death of physical media, be it CD, DVD or BR is therefore accelerated, prompting manufacturers like Samsung to stop making players. Sadly, I think that the end of physical media is well and truly on the horizon. I have no idea how much longer we collectors have to keep buying films on physical media, but our days are numbered. Five years perhaps, maybe less, unless 8K ends-up being so bandwidth demanding that physical media is the only viable way of delivering uncompressed content. I will be buying a couple of backup BR players in the next few months, because the writing is on the wall writ large.

4K UHD Fan

There are, it seems, ways to rip iTunes content for USB/disc playback, removing the DRM along the way, if you want to go that route. It concerns me that you can buy content on iTunes only to have it removed if a licensing or rights issue comes along at some point, from what I can make out, which seems wrong to me. What happens to titles you’ve bought and you decide to close your iTunes/Apple account? The simple fact is that it’s far cheaper to publish new titles purely in the digital realm, and skip physical media production costs. The death of physical media, be it CD, DVD or BR is therefore accelerated, prompting manufacturers like Samsung to stop making players. Sadly, I think that the end of physical media is well and truly on the horizon. I have no idea how much longer we collectors have to keep buying films on physical media, but our days are numbered. Five years perhaps, maybe less, unless 8K ends-up being so bandwidth demanding that physical media is the only viable way of delivering uncompressed content. I will be buying a couple of backup BR players in the next few months, because the writing is on the wall writ large.
Apple & Intel have the monopoly on 4K HDR Streaming media. You need one or the other to view it (Intel SGX DRM module) sometimes both. This locks many people out who have no interest in Apple's vastly over priced equipment! I think Netflix & Prime Video allow it if you have the right hardware otherwise you just get a 4K stream with no HDR. many people are oblivious to this as well! They equate 4K to 4K HDR!!

Kaleidescape offer another solution but its around £4-7K in the UK I think (streaming media box but you have to buy all the films from them so it works out costly but you get to keep them on the device if you want them).