War of the Worlds (2005) 4K UHD

so will the the blu ray which comes with the 4k sound have the original audio ?

Yes the included Blu-Ray is still the original disc.

so will the the blu ray which comes with the 4k sound have the original audio ?
It does mate, the Blu ray has the DTS-HD track.

Sadly I rarely use my surround sound setup anymore favouring my Bluetooth Noise Cancelling headphones simply because I don’t get to watch anything Mon-Fri until around 7pm and my neighbour upstairs is quite noisy, far from ideal but it’s allowed me to maintain my sanity and enjoy content at a high volume level.
You are missing a trick here, 19.30, crank up the home cinema, your neighbour won't seem as noisy lol.

I use my noise cancelling headphones in the bedroom, probably after 22.00 for movies, mainly on the Apple TV as it has excellent bluetooth capabilities, but ultimately, i don't have to compete with the Wife snoring her head off :hiya:

So has anyone Ripped and swapped out the tracks from the Blu Ray to the 4K film if this is successful might give it a try when I get the discs
the only downside is going to be then missing the atmos then :facepalm:

So has anyone Ripped and swapped out the tracks from the Blu Ray to the 4K film if this is successful might give it a try when I get the discs
the only downside is going to be then missing the atmos then :facepalm:

Include both when you rip and you can then decide for yourself on the fly which you prefer, perhaps the added benefits of the Atmos track make up for the loss of the deep bass?

Include both when you rip and you can then decide for yourself on the fly which you prefer, perhaps the added benefits of the Atmos track make up for the loss of the deep bass?

once I get the discs will def give it a try :)

Never really gone with all this graph nonsense, the arguments between Dolby Atmos or DTS etc I don't think it means anything.

Two of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, Hot Fuzz on HD-DVD with a Dolby+ track and Jurassic Park on laserdisc with a DTS track.

I'm sure if I put them on graphs, it wouldn't be pretty yet they sound excellent. I am going to take the opinion of someone WHO HAS ACTUALLY HEARD IT over some fanboy graph.

Never really gone with all this graph nonsense, the arguments between Dolby Atmos or DTS etc I don't think it means anything.

Two of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, Hot Fuzz on HD-DVD with a Dolby+ track and Jurassic Park on laserdisc with a DTS track.

I'm sure if I put them on graphs, it wouldn't be pretty yet they sound excellent. I am going to take the opinion of someone WHO HAS ACTUALLY HEARD IT over some fanboy graph.
I think it's an excellent track mate, very immersive indeed.

I think the Jurassic Park LD is still regarded as the best it has ever sounded.

What makes you think I haven't heard it? Where do you think I made the graph from?

What makes you think I haven't heard it? Where do you think I made the graph from?
I'm not referring to you. Just in general. These kind of graphs etc aren't exactly a new thing. They've been boring the hell out of folks for years.

I'm not referring to you. Just in general. These kind of graphs etc aren't exactly a new thing. They've been boring the hell out of folks for years.

If you have subs that comfortably go down to lower frequencies <25hz (and I don’t mean quoted, I mean actual), then yes, the graphs do mean something and you will be missing out quite noticeably on the bottom end grunt.

99% of the consumer market use tv speakers or sound bars so to them, it will make zero difference.

Sadly I'm not in the market, anymore, to just buy a disc to see if it is better sounding than the Blu-ray release.

I'm happy with the blu-ray disc but would expect the atmos release to be better not toned down.

Waiting for more actually comparisons before I buy this one.

As a massive fan of this movie, and also an atmos fan, it is slightly disappointing to hear the bass is neutered, never the less I will be grabbing this disc for the native atoms and improved picture quality and will do a back to back, with the original blu ray upmixed to DTS-X. I have watched this a couple of times upmixed and the overall spatial effect on the sound was significant. and was preferable to the base mix for me.

Anyone with an atoms set up and put off by the filtered bass try the upmix you might be pleasantly surprised how good it sounds upmixed.

Despite all the issues with the audio its good to hear that the picture is indeed superb with a notice improvement over the Blu-ray, can't wait for it :)

20200519_120723_002.jpg
20200519_120057.jpg
20200519_120837.jpg
20200519_120242.jpg

Doesn't mean much lol, but i was bored, this is on the 4k TV, not the projector,.the pics with the red time stamp are the 4k pics, but trust me, the 4k disc looks so much better than the blu ray.

Totally agree, my phone does HDR etc, so wont make much comparison, as i said, I'm bored lol, i think it does show the different colour between the 2 though, the 4k wins out regardless, can't wait for others to get their discs.

And 100" projected image, yep, I've put it on again to marvel in the Atmos storm sequence, love it.
20200519_180623.jpg

Yup, they knee-capped it...

dndmAec.jpg

This graph really does illustrate well what I've experienced.

They have destroyed the bass, the very thing that's made it the go to demo disc of av enthusiasts for years.

Whilst the new Atmos track is excellent for clarity and surround steering, for those of us who know what it should sound like, the lack of bass will be missed enough to even make it unwatchable for some.

The simple fix for those concerned is to rip both sd and uhd copies, extract the dts-ma track from the sd copy and add it to the uhd copy using something like MKVToolnix.

This way you get the best of both worlds, until that is, they re-release the 4k atmos version with full fat ulf effects.

This graph really does illustrate well what I've experienced.

They have destroyed the bass, the very thing that's made it the go to demo disc of av enthusiasts for years.

Whilst the new Atmos track is excellent for clarity and surround steering, for those of us who know what it should sound like, the lack of bass will be missed enough to even make it unwatchable for some.

The simple fix for those concerned is to rip both sd and uhd copies, extract the dts-ma track from the sd copy and add it to the uhd copy using something like MKVToolnix.

This way you get the best of both worlds, until that is, they re-release the 4k atmos version with full fat ulf effects.
I've been tempted to get a minidsp 2x4 hd but it seems like a fair bit of hassle. What I have done is setup a profile on my amp that gives the bass a boost at 30Hz which works well for the Marvel movies. My sub can go below 20Hz and that moment when the pod comes out of the ground in War of the Worlds is incredible. At least I know not to bother with the UHD as I'm perfectly happy with the picture from the blu ray and I would find the audio a downgrade despite having an Atmos setup.

I hope it doesn't put anyone off, the 4k transfer is very nice indeed.

It's just that to get the audio up to 10 you need to get more involved. One method is to do as I've mentioned above or for those who have the equipment as you suggest MiniDSP.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time until some BEQ/DSP wizard can merge the two tracks seamlessly to fill in the extreme roll off.

ULF in full Atmos glory, who would have thought! :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom