wardyworld's Living Room 5.1.4 Build

Hi there very nice installation, can I ask where did you get the cp IW460X from as yours have 4 posts for biwiring while mine only have 2 posts, I spoke to monitor audio yesterday and they said the 4 post ones where prototypes only and never sold, even though I told them I had seen them on this forum.

Hi there very nice installation, can I ask where did you get the cp IW460X from as yours have 4 posts for biwiring while mine only have 2 posts, I spoke to monitor audio yesterday and they said the 4 post ones where prototypes only and never sold, even though I told them I had seen them on this forum.

Hmmmmm..... thats very interesting! I got them from Audio Visual Online - I went for a demo and bought them there and then. I knew they were demo speakers, didnt know they were prototypes!

I dealt with Dan @ Audio Visual Online but I think he's left now?

EDIT: I've just emailed Monitor Audio for clarification on this... will let you know what they say!

Cheers,

wardyworld

Hmmmmm..... thats very interesting! I got them from Audio Visual Online - I went for a demo and bought them there and then. I knew they were demo speakers, didnt know they were prototypes!

I dealt with Dan @ Audio Visual Online but I think he's left now?

EDIT: I've just emailed Monitor Audio for clarification on this... will let you know what they say!

Cheers,

wardyworld
That may explain it then as they where ex demo ones, I was just curious as when mine turned up the other day I only seen the one set of post, so had to contact MA to see what the situation is.

That may explain it then as they where ex demo ones, I was just curious as when mine turned up the other day I only seen the one set of post, so had to contact MA to see what the situation is.

Yeah i've just emailed to check with them that warranty, etc. wont be affected (i'm sure it won't) and AV Online are a respected reseller, they wouldnt have sold them unless OK. I bought all of my speakers off them and everythign is perfect to be fair :)

Nice build :smashin:

Really like how you’ve done this, and it’s certainly helping me work out how to turn our living room into a home cinema. Found it particularly helpful to show my wife how it’s been done with chasing out the walls etc..

Just a quick question...when you put all of the cabling into the walls, did you put them in protective trunking before they were plastered over?

Also, I’m hoping to get Mrs B to agree to Atmos speakers (going to have to route the cables for the rears through the ceiling, so may as well). Our sofa will also be against the rear wall, so very interested what you think about the 4 ceiling speakers and whether you feel its worth it.

Thanks, Dave.

Really like how you’ve done this, and it’s certainly helping me work out how to turn our living room into a home cinema. Found it particularly helpful to show my wife how it’s been done with chasing out the walls etc..

Just a quick question...when you put all of the cabling into the walls, did you put them in protective trunking before they were plastered over?

Also, I’m hoping to get Mrs B to agree to Atmos speakers (going to have to route the cables for the rears through the ceiling, so may as well). Our sofa will also be against the rear wall, so very interested what you think about the 4 ceiling speakers and whether you feel its worth it.

Thanks, Dave.

Wire for 4 ceiling speakers, then you always have the option. We have sofa at back of room with 5.1.4 - its compromise but we just lowered the read speakers inline with ear height and now have the separation.

Wire for 4 ceiling speakers, then you always have the option. We have sofa at back of room with 5.1.4 - its compromise but we just lowered the read speakers inline with ear height and now have the separation.
That’s what I plan on doing as we’ve just moved house and one of the downstairs room is a very similar size to my old cinema room so this time plan on wiring for Atmos 514. The seating will be about two foot from the rear wall so should have some separation. I am looking at the kef T101 to save me from channelling and as it’s a dedicated room not as critical.

This thread gave me the impetus to go for the 4 as opposed to 2 so watching with interest :)

Lovely build mate, If I can achieve 10% of what you have accomplished with my front room I will be happy :)

So you've had time to get all of this bedded in. How are you finding the rears for Atmos now? I'm in the same situation albeit it in a smaller room with regard to the rear Atmos speakers and the couch?

So you've had time to get all of this bedded in. How are you finding the rears for Atmos now? I'm in the same situation albeit it in a smaller room with regard to the rear Atmos speakers and the couch?

Unfortunately, got divorced so had to sell the house and remove all of the speakers...

They're all in boxes and I'm not sure if I should install it all again, or just buy a soundbar - I'm not sure I can go though the amount of work this was again...

wardyworld

Sorry to hear that, but get on it, something to focus on!

Sorry to hear that, but get on it, something to focus on!

Yeah, I keep looking at the walls and trying to work out how I'd reinstall it all 😆

I'd need to build a partition wall as the new living room is open plan to the stairs. I think firstly I'll get the wall built and live with the room for a while and then do a new TV wall build.

I think I'd like to incorporate a bioethanol fireplace this time, will get designing!

Hello .
I saw all your speakers places with 4 atmos in the ceiling , I couldn't see where you placed your back surround speakers , can you attach the pictures please , because I would like make 5.1.2 atmos but my sofa is next to the back wall and I dont know where to place the rear surround speakers.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hello .
I saw all your speakers places with 4 atmos in the ceiling , I couldn't see where you placed your back surround speakers , can you attach the pictures please , because I would like make 5.1.2 atmos but my sofa is next to the back wall and I dont know where to place the rear surround speakers.
Thanks

Hi,

I had my Monitor Audio Gold FX on the side walls - I didn't have any surround speakers behind me. They worked very on the side walls, slightly behind my listening position about 12 inches behind my ears when sat down.

The 4 x Atmos was overkill if i'm honest, I think it would have sounded better with 2 x Atmos in the correct Dolby placement.

Looks like you did a great job, if you can get materials self isolation and a project sounds like a great idea :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom