Warrior Nun (Netflix UK) renewed for S2, S1 July 2, 2020

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warrior Nun Adaptation Coming to Netflix

Warrior Nunwill be adapted into a new ten-episode series as part of Netflix’s increased science fiction slate. Inspired by the Warrior Nun Areala manga novels created by Ben Dunn, Warrior Nun revolves around a 19 year-old woman who wakes up in a morgue with a new lease on life and a divine artifact embedded in her back. She discovers she is now part of an ancient order that has been tasked with fighting demons on Earth, and powerful forces representing both heaven and hell want to find and control her.

Whether or not the 19-year-old protagonist will be modeled directly after Sister Shannon Masters from the graphic novel remains to be seen, and the dropping of the name “Areala” may indicate a change from the original mythology involving the angelic origins of the warrior nun’s powers. However, the supernatural battle between good and evil that is at the story’s core should remain intact.

Warrior Nun is being brought to the small screen by creator and showrunner, Simon Barry, who is known for his breakout hit Canadian time travel series, Continuum, and who recently produced a short-lived, supernatural series for Syfy called Ghost Wars. He is joined on the production side by Terri Hughes Burton of The 100 and Eureka, and Amy Berg of Counterpartfame will be on board as a consulting producer.

The Warrior Nun manga is an American title that began in 1994, and it ran for most of the following decade under different writers. The series was not without its controversy for its portrayal of religious iconography in a less than pious context, but many of the central storylines that revolve around a cold war of sorts between heaven and hell, if the Netflix series mines those arcs, seem ripe for the picking

Game of Thrones Production Company Preps Avatar's 'Warrior Nun' Netflix Series

warrior-nun-avatar-1-768x432.jpg

Back in October we learned that the upcoming graphic novel Warrior Nun, published by Avatar Press, has been picked up as a television show over at Netflix. As a matter of disclosure, Avatar Press are the owners of Bleeding Cool.

We also learned that the series will have ten episodes with showrunner Simon Barry(Ghost Wars, Continuum), Consulting Producer Amy Berg (Counterpart, Da Vinci’s Demons), Co-Executive Producer Terri Hughes Burton (The 100, Eureka) and NWEPs Stephen Hegyes (White Noise, 50 Dead Men Walking).

In a summary provided by Avatar Press, Warrior Nun is described as “Possessed by the power and spirit of a rogue Valkyrie, a faithful sister became Warrior Nun Areala — an instrument of vengeance in the battle against evil.”

We have received word from The Olive Press and confirmed by us that Fresco Film, the production company who has helped make the award-winning Game of Thrones, has selected three shooting locations in Ronda, Antequera, and Malaga in Spain.

“It will be a great promotion for Malaga because of the international reach of the Netflix platform,” said Peter Welter from Fresco Film, who will produce the new serial.

The source notes that Warrior Nun is expected to bring in “€1 million in investment for Malaga during the shoot.” Although there is currently no definitive start date for the production and no one is able to confirm anything, if the production company is scouting locations then things are moving quite quickly. We should expect some sort of major updates about start dates and casting in the first half of 2019.

Last edited:
‘Warrior Nun’: Alba Baptista To Star, Toya Turner, Tristan Ulloa, Thekla Reuten Among Six More Cast In Netflix Series

Baptista’s Ava is tasting freedom for the first time in her young life after being liberated from an abusive orphanage and a prison of her mind and body. As a result, she wants to experience everything at once, and she can be reckless in her ambition.

Turner plays Shotgun Mary, a woman loyal to the sisterhood more than the Church. She escaped family tragedy and was raised with religion but never really took to it fully. Naturally, she has a chip on her shoulder about loyalty. All the nuns know they can count on Mary to have their backs.

Ulloa portrays Father Vincent, the spiritual and strategic leader of the Order of the Cruciform Sword. Behind the Man-of-God persona, he presents a vulnerability that is both disarming and attractive. A veteran of making bad choices, putting on the collar and devoting himself to the Church was trading one addiction for another.

Reuten is Jillian Salvius, CEO of a tech startup who has challenged the Vatican’s power directly by making a discovery that could make religion obsolete. They say there’s a fine line between genius and obsession.

Tonteri-Young plays Young Sister Beatrice, a woman with a quiet Zen strength, Beatrice is a powerful Sister Warrior in her own right. The team’s resident strategist, Beatrice uses her reserved and intuitive nature to analyze everyone and everything around her.

Andrea portrays Sister Lilith, born into an elite family, she is a legacy Nun and committed to her beliefs, which causes her to overstep and over-reach in her entitlement.

Sakraya plays JC, the charismatic leader of a group of alluring petty criminals, running their game all over Europe, getting into trouble and “robbing the rich and giving to themselves.” While most members of the gang are aimless souls, JC has real ambition. He has big plans for his life, but for now, he is committed to living in the moments.

completed, enjoyable :laugh: will be glad for a 2nd season :D

Last edited:
I didn't really get on with it. I could only stand about 20 minutes before I gave up

I didn't really get on with it. I could only stand about 20 minutes before I gave up

first 5-6 episodes to setup Ava's story - paralyzed, abused & murdered in orphanage, joys of 2nd chance to experience new life, struggle to appreciate the worthiness being warrior nun.
later episodes, through warrior sisters, find some purpose in her life but still value her freedom

Last edited:
The first season of Warrior Nun just landed on Netflix, but Barry tells Inverse he already has plans for Season 2 and beyond if Netflix decides to renew. "Anything between five and seven seasons would be lovely," he says

Last edited:

Last edited:
I don’t understand how the second season rated so highly, the gf and I thought it was terrible, much worse than season 1!

I enjoyed the first season, although I wasn't wowed by it. The second season had a lot of promise and a few good moments, but in the end, I felt indifferent. I don't know what it was, maybe the lack of character development for most of the cast was the problem. A couple of them had some progression, but it was mostly surface level.

There was a story but the whole thing felt like one season split into two, rather than two distinct seasons.

If it has been cancelled it's a shame, but not surprising really.

Of all the shows canceled, this was one I really wouldn't miss.

It was like Buffy had been remade by writers that couldn't write, and actors that couldn't act. So slow, so boring, so silly.

Sources confirm to TVLine that while no deals are in place discussions are indeed underway to revive the series via a standalone movie or a shortened final season in order to give fans closure — but not on Netflix. It remains unclear where the project would potentially land.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom