Question Watching computer while listening to echo dot through same AVR and speakers?

Beaker 2016

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I posted this previously in the Music Streamers forum but got no replies maybe the wrong group wasn't sure where to post:-
My computer is linked to my amp via HDMI and my echo dot is connected via 2 phono - can I watch the computer on my TV via HDMI through the amp and listen to my dot - I cant figure out how - or do I disconnect echo from my amp and listen through its own speaker?

TIA

Do you want both sounds at the same time or one at one?

If it’s the latter:

On my Yamaha receiver I can have say AV2 as my computer with it plugged into HDMI2. I can then plug the echo dot into the analog inputs. I can then change the audio input from HDMI to analog to switch between them. If I want a quick way of doing it I can set two scenes up and the first four are on the remote.

If the former you need a mixer and not aware of receivers that will do that.

What amp do you have?

Thanks - I was wanting to have the computer image on screen and listen to music from the dot - I have a Denon AVR-X2300W I'm currently using the HDMI ARC feature do I need to switch it off?

So think you should be able to do it but not as familiar with Denon as Yamaha.

So assuming that you have PC -> Denon -> TV
and also Dot to analog input on Denon

Make sure you follow this and either plug in devices as below or change to however you have them, whichever is easiest for you

then set the input mode as

Should in theory work ok but let us know how you get on.

Thank you ChuckMountain for the walk through guide yes that works perfectly I'm listening to the dot now while I'm typing this reply - that's great I just signed up for the amazon music unlimited free for 3 months - awesome thanks again

Thank you ChuckMountain for the walk through guide yes that works perfectly I'm listening to the dot now while I'm typing this reply - that's great I just signed up for the amazon music unlimited free for 3 months - awesome thanks again

Great, glad I could help :)

You do not need to reassign the audio associated with the HDMI video if using the DEnon AVRX2300.

The receiver includes the ability to display any of its HDMI video sources whilst portraying audio accessed via any of its dedicated audio inputs without need to reassign anything. Page 110 from the owner's manual:

snapshot001.jpg

Do you want both sounds at the same time or one at one?

If it’s the latter:

On my Yamaha receiver I can have say AV2 as my computer with it plugged into HDMI2. I can then plug the echo dot into the analog inputs. I can then change the audio input from HDMI to analog to switch between them. If I want a quick way of doing it I can set two scenes up and the first four are on the remote.

If the former you need a mixer and not aware of receivers that will do that.

What amp do you have?

Also note that Yamaha AV receivers have a similar feature. Engage the OPTIONS menu and navigate to the AUDIO SELECT settings while the audio source is selected. Now use the VIDEO OUT setting to determine which of your HDMI video sources are displayed while using this audio source. The audio source has to be one of the deocated audio only sources though.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom