Watching movies from HDD drive

mollie21

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a 2700 series LCD. I am a bit of a novice at this sort of thing. I plugged my external hard drive, on which I had a MP4 format video, into the USB inlet of my TV. I then went to the multimedia menu, Movies, then USB. When I clicked on the USB nothing happened, it didn't recognise the content I assume? Does it mean I have to use an actual USB flash drive? Need some advice please? 🙄

I have a 2700 series LCD. I am a bit of a novice at this sort of thing. I plugged my external hard drive, on which I had a MP4 format video, into the USB inlet of my TV. I then went to the multimedia menu, Movies, then USB. When I clicked on the USB nothing happened, it didn't recognise the content I assume? Does it mean I have to use an actual USB flash drive? Need some advice please? 🙄
[/QUOTE]
I use an Verbatim 2.5" 1TB USB 3.0 external HDD on my LG B9 and it works fine with the movie downloaded from my computer. Somewhere i read that each file needs to be smaller than 8GB and that the external HDD need to be no more than 2TB, other wise the TV need to support the technology that will read above 2TB.

You can check using a say 32 GB USB flash drive and see if that works. Also you can check and see if your TV can record on the USB flash drive.

It may be useful to state the make and full model number of the TV. Also, how is the HDD formatted? FAT, ExFAT or NTFS?
Without knowing the make and model it'll be difficult to determine whether you can actually play MP4 etc from HDD as a lot of older ones won't anyway.
Also may help to determine what format the HDD needs as, again, not all TVs will accept all formats.
If it's formatted in a way the TV doesn't accept, it won't even recognise the drive.

Thank you Mr Flynn:). The model number of my LCD TV is L40D2700F. The HDD format is NTFS.
I've tried playing music from a USB thumb drive and that seems to work ok.

Hey, the penny just dropped. The reason I put the video on the HDD was because I had it in my head that the video was too big to fit on any of my USB thumb drives. I don't have much to do with videos, I'm mainly into music. Anyway I just put the video on a thumb drive and away she went. The video is only 147 Mb's by the way.

Problem solved...I think. The TV won't play HDD's, only solid state drives?

Thanks again Mr Flynn, yee ha!

Glad you got it working but I'd have a look at the format of the thumb drive. It may just be that it's different to the HDD and the TV might not like NTFS.

Glad you got it working but I'd have a look at the format of the thumb drive. It may just be that it's different to the HDD and the TV might not like NTFS.
Thanks again Mr Flynn🙃 The HDD is NTFS, as you said, and the thumb drive FAT32. Both the drives had mp3 music on them as well as the video. When I plugged the HDD in I couldn't get the video or the music so It seems the thumb drive is the winner. Just an observation.

You could always reformat the HDD to FAT32 or try exFat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom