WD Duo Book (28TB)

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking at adding some more storage to my existing 4 bay NAS (oh how I wished I went with an 8 bay) and have been running a 8TB WD drive via USB for the last few weeks and very pleased at how will that works. As I am just using the additional space for ripping my Blu-rays and 4K discs so not really worried about RAID or back up. I have been looking at 12 and 14TB but the price one you get over 10TB just seems to jump quite a lot by TB.

Last night I stumbled across this on Amazon Amazon product ASIN B07Y3PMCGY and am impressed with the amount of storage for the price which I think would do my needs for years to come.

Does anyone have one of these, I see there are some comments about noise and some about malfunctioning due to heat but those are from 2 years ago. Just looking to find out what the write speed is like and reliability is like.

I don't have one of these. A lot of people get this drive, to remove the disks for use in a NAS. There are deals on these, & other sizes every now & again. Hotukdeals, is the place to check now & again.

You will find 2 single bay 14TB's are cheaper than this

Amazon product ASIN B07Y3PMCGY
Not worried about backup? You might regret that after spending hours ripping bluray disks

I don't have one of these. A lot of people get this drive, to remove the disks for use in a NAS. There are deals on these, & other sizes every now & again. Hotukdeals, is the place to check now & again.

You will find 2 single bay 14TB's are cheaper than this

Amazon product ASIN B07Y3PMCGY
Not worried about backup? You might regret that after spending hours ripping bluray disks

The idea is just to plug this into the USB port of my existing NAS, so one box with two drives is a cleaner solution then adding two drive and two plugs.

As for the back up, I get what you are are saying and it is just a temporary solution until I upgrade the my NAS and by an expansion unit and additional drives and this at that point will essentially become the back up solution. But at the end of the day its just video and will have the originals on my shelf.

I'm interested if this will work as well. My 8-bay is getting near full and am considering buying a Synology expansion but if one of these would work that could be a decent stopgap.

I've had loads of these units as well and just shucked the drives, never tried plugging one in. Gave the units away to friends and family.

(Network) "Shares" and RAID sets are different and unrelated "things." Thusly just because you plug in a device, the NAS may not automatically create a network share published out onto your network, you may have to set one up yourself - it'll depend how the NAS OS has been written.

Similarly, just because you plug in something with multiple discs, your NAS may not automatically configure that as RAID set (indeed, it would be safer if it didn't) and again you may need to set up a RAID set yourself (if you want one.)

Alternatively, it may be that the Duo is a "NAS" in and of itself and uses it's own OS to create a RAID set and then "only" exposes itself to your NAS USB socket as single logical volume so your NAS cannot "see" the individual discs within it to do anything fancy with them.

If no-one here has done this previously, then a lot of this is going to be down to reading the manuals. Maybe see if the Duo has a downloadable manual you can read before pulling the trigger on it.

Speed of the USB ports on both devices might be something you want to consider also - for bulk transfers and so on, you really want them to be USB 3 or better.

(Network) "Shares" and RAID sets are different and unrelated "things." Thusly just because you plug in a device, the NAS may not automatically create a network share published out onto your network, you may have to set one up yourself - it'll depend how the NAS OS has been written.

I am juts going by what my Synology does, when you connect a HDD via USB it automatically sees it as a Share on the NAS, so the windows path is \\NAS\USBShareX . So just wondering what this would look like if the WD wasn't configured as one Volume, I guess logically each drive would just appear as their own shares i.e. \\NAS\USBShare5 and \\NAS\USBShare6.

Sounds reasonable, but I don't know any of that kit so I couldn't begin to guess without reading the user guide. If it doesn't do it for you automatically, I doubt it'll be terribly difficult to set up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom