We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story (BBC Two)

krish

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
On TONIGHT at 9pm ...
60-minute scripted comedy drama about how the legendary creators of Dad's Army - Jimmy Perry and David Croft - overcame BBC management scepticism, focus groups and cast constipation to get the much-loved legendonto air.

Running from Perry's initial idea in 1967 until the transmission of the first episode in 1968, this affectionate and witty film shows the beginnings of Perry and Croft's writing partnership and the casting woes, personal clashes and production difficulties that put the show's very existence in jeopardy. It reveals to fans and newcomers alike what went on behind the scenes in the making of the classic sitcom Dad's Army and is a true love letter to British creativity.

The long-awaited Dad's Army movie - staring Toby Jones as Captain Mainwaring and Bill Nighy as Sergeant Wilson - is set to hit cinema screens in February 2016.

But before that comes a one-off BBC Two drama We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story which shows how writers Jimmy Perry (Paul Ritter) and David Croft (Richard Dormer) overcame BBC management scepticism to bring the hit sitcom to the screen.

Among the other famous names in We're Doomed! are Julian Sands as John Le Mesurier (Sgt Wilson), Mark Heap as Clive Dunn (Corporal Jones), Shane Richie as Bill Pertwee (ARP Warden Hodges), and Kevin Bishop as James Beck (Private Walker, the cockney spiv).

I thought it was OK, in my opinion the stand out performer was John Sessions.

I liked it, particularly how it showed some things about the actors e.g. Arthur Lowe's insecurity and how the actor who played private Godfrey had been inviladed out of both world wars.

its repeated on BBC2 10.20pm tonight if anyone missed it.

Very watchable. The paint on VW Beetle was well faded.

Very watchable. The paint on VW Beetle was well faded.
Them were not the normal wheels on it, wonder why they let the paint work fade then put sports wheels on it.
Pic of normal wheels.
1970_VW_BUG_002.jpg

Them were not the normal wheels on it, wonder why they let the paint work fade then put sports wheels on it.
Pic of normal wheels.
View attachment 660557
I thought they used the first (cheap) Beetle they found. Or is it Beatle?

It's a Bug (in officiando speak) as it has the flat windscreen.
I have a couple of relatives into VWs.

It's a Bug (in officiando speak) as it has the flat windscreen.
I have a couple of relatives into VWs.
You been watching too much of Herbie:D
I had 2, first decent cars(as apposed to a clapped out banger) I had before I went though my sports car phase.

I heard there was a lot more of artistic license taken than usual for this type of thing but I still enjoyed it.

Bri

The only had one episode so forgiveable.

I enjoyed it - lots of clever dialogue and quick-fire repartee.

Great article about Arnold Ridley (Private Godfrey) ...
As the film version of Dad's Army is released at cinemas across the country, BBC News looks at the life of Arnold Ridley, the only actor in the original television series to serve in both World War One and Two.

Unlike the character he played, the gentle medic Private Charles Godfrey, who was a conscientious objector in World War One, Ridley experienced hand-to-hand fighting in the trenches and was seriously injured by a German wielding a bayonet.

On Desert Island Discs in 1973, the playwright and actor described his first stint in the Army as "those dismal days" but added: "You know, memory is a strange thing. After a lapse of time, even the most miserable set of circumstances, roses seem to grow round them a little bit."

Roses, though, did not grow around his memories of World War Two, and although he could talk about his service in the first war, the "mental suffering" he experienced meant he would not speak of his time in the second.

He said: "To recount events, I would have to relive them. I am too afraid."
Desert Island Discs (1973)
Roy Plomley's castaway is actor and playwright Arnold Ridley.

Favourite track: Tannhäuser (Overture) by Richard Wagner
Book: Bradshaw's Railway Timetable
Luxury: Wine-making kit
This Is Your Life (1976)

Apparently, the force is strong in his family too.

The animated A Stripe for Frazer (exclusive to BBC Store) is amongst the programmes that can be purchased FREE using the £3-off voucher codes LOVE and LOVEYOU (expiry 14/02/2017):
Dad's Army - A Stripe for Frazer

^^^ thx @Sarah7, used one voucher on that (one use per voucher), and the other on the HD release of Matt Smith's final Dr Who ep/Christmas special (Doctor Who - The Time of the Doctor), which was £2.49

Anyway loads of stuff priced £2.99 and under, two of which you can grab for free

bbcstorepurch.jpg

Is the animation any good on that? I got the Power Of The Daleks blu last week. I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the quality.

Bri

The animated A Stripe for Frazer (exclusive to BBC Store) is amongst the programmes that can be purchased FREE using the £3-off voucher codes LOVE and LOVEYOU (expiry 14/02/2017):
Dad's Army - A Stripe for Frazer
Freebie time Again!
- there are now 2 x £4-off voucher codes available: SPRING and SPRING2

I used one on David Tennant's two-part Dr Who finale in HD at £3.49
... and the other on The Two Doctors (SD obviously) at £3.99
Screenshot_20170306-201139.png
Spring into BBC Store and get £4 off!

£4 off voucher code(s) must be redeemed before 23.59 on 13th March 2017. Each voucher code can only be used in a single transaction. If your transaction is less than the value of the voucher code you will forfeit the difference and it will not be added as BBC Store credit or refunded to your account. If your transaction is greater than the value of your voucher code, we will deduct the difference from your Store credit or charge your default payment method. No minimum spend required. This offer is not valid with any other promotional discount or offer and is subject to availability. Only one voucher code can be used per transaction and each voucher can only be used once. There is no cash alternative and the offer is not transferable. BBC Store reserves the right to change, amend or discontinue offers at any time without prior notice. You must be at least 18 years of age. UK residents only. Promoter: BBC Worldwide Ltd. Contact [email protected] with any queries.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom