Westworld Season 3: The New World TV Show Premiere Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Season 1 of Westworld was solid, elevated by Sir Anthony Hopkins magnificent performance. But even then the twists of certain humans actually being robots felt like a poor man's rip off of the earlier previously released rebooted Battlestar Galactica with their Cylons.

Season 2 Westworld the quality dropped significantly, it was a poor mishmash of a show. Not watched the first episode of season 3 yet but I don't hold much hope for it being much better than the poor season 2.

I loved this opening episode, felt so cinematic, the visuals were utterly gorgeous, wonderfully shot with some well executed and inventive action sequences.
I cant wait to see the story unfold.
I’m in awe of the visualised world of the future/tech & apps.
Evan Rachel wood is stunning, that dress transforming scene was amazing!
Aaron Paul is a great addition, I like him a lot he’s gives good gravitas.
The score was tremendous, Djawadi is one of my faves and he’s goes full synth in this, awesome!
For me this was one of my most anticipated entertainment events of the year & this episode didn’t disappoint.

Great first episode of season 3.
Different feel and new characters.

I LOVED season one. I mean love, love, loved it. But I got lost in season 2. Just could not tell when each scene was supposed to be happening as it was poorly signposted. I really was paying attention, but I had to give up by episode six as by that point I didn't have a single clue what was happening. If season 3 manages to somehow start making sense I may return to seasons one and two and try again, but season 2 really was a complete failure for me, which I gave up on even having paid £30 for the blu-ray.

Well I was out after Season 2, but after watching the trailer a few weeks back I'm pulled back in. Did look very good, despite my misgivings over where it appeared to be headed.

Is it only in HD on Sky or will UHD be available?

I liked season one in general but wasn’t overwhelmed by the last couple of episodes. Season two reviews seem to be a mix bag. Would anyone recommend skipping season 2 and jumping to season 3, am I going to be missing a lot of open sub plots ?

I liked season one in general but wasn’t overwhelmed by the last couple of episodes. Season two reviews seem to be a mix bag. Would anyone recommend skipping season 2 and jumping to season 3, am I going to be missing a lot of open sub plots ?
This.. Don’t really feel like watching the rest of season 2, and wondering if I should pick with season 3, or give up altogether

I'm still on the fence with this over Wood, who I find too unlikable and 2 dimensional. When others are onscreen I enjoy it more.
Season one (and 2, though a bit squandered by story) had the advantage of top drawer actors but it looks like they've been killed off or, will hopefully emerge from the Nazi story line. Although all the taking over of previous human's lives/positions has me concerned.
I'd also like to know how they actually function day-to-day; as power sources etc. have continued to be totally sidestepped and why those in charge/policing them couldn't simply detect them by the ball of whatever material houses their intelligence/computing? I'm also not convinced by Jeffrey Wright's being able to simply switch back and forth, when needed, for one character type or another and why the fight mode one wouldn't attempt to dominate the other - it's like some controllable multiple personality set up and they typically don't end well...
Aaron Paul is on form though and with Thandie and possibly Ed Harris coming back that's hopeful.
I trust they won't just use Tommy Flanagan as a thug. But keeping up with who is inhabiting who could be a dicey ask for viewers.

Is it only in HD on Sky or will UHD be available?

HBO only show their content in HD quality, and also don't supply overseas broadcasters with 4K UHD so unfortunately, nobody can watch Westworld in 4K worldwide.

Hopefully, when HBO Max (their own steaming service) launches in May, they will start streaming shows in 4K HDR and in turn they might start supplying overseas broadcasters, like Sky, with 4K.

Thx for the review Cas. :smashin:

I really struggled to get through season 2. I probably watched it over the course of 3 months as I couldn't seem to get through more than an episode or two before losing interest.

Your review makes me hopeful that season 3 will be more of a return to form like season 1 which I would watch every morning after it was shown!

Here's hoping it continues to impress a few more episodes in.

Thanks for the review and could not agree more. the one thing I did not consider was the possibility of it being an illusion... This for me just added another level to the programme

Personally I would be totally lost if I had not see Season 2, but I also listen to podcast which I find helped a lot on the items I missed or misunderstood so if your going to skip season 2 then please do try to catch up on the season by reading about it or via a number of pod cast out there.

I loves S1 and S2 and looking forward the S3

However I have watched E1 and am totally confused by whats happening. Is there a site that can explain E1 ?

Thanks Cas, and yes awesome first episode, as with most loved season 1 and wasn’t sure on season 2, however I re-watched season 2 on sky recently and being able to binge it over a week certainly made it flow better and more enjoyable so would suggest doing that to anyone who struggled with it first time around.

What is wrong with Sky and it's desire to film it's "big" shows with a potato? Awful production quality and with the first episode mostly based around dark scenes I'm disappointed. It's not proving to be the most enthralling so far but I'll stick with it in the hope it gets better.

No problem with picture quality on Sky Hd for me,.very cinematic with zero issues. Nothing like the poor efforts on The Outsider or GOT HBO

What is wrong with Sky and it's desire to film it's "big" shows with a potato? Awful production quality and with the first episode mostly based around dark scenes I'm disappointed. It's not proving to be the most enthralling so far but I'll stick with it in the hope it gets better.
You do know Sky don't make everything they show.

Season 1 was top notch,Season 2 was a mess.I will wait for the UHD Blu-Ray as usual,not many shows get a 4k release on disc.

The likes of Netflix dont get released on UHD Blu-Ray,although Stranger Things had one.

The low bitrate of 4k streaming may not impact the picture quality too much,but the compressed audio is instantly apparent to anybody with a half decent home theater setup.

Are you watching it on NowTV, if so that's your problem, not the production.

Haven't seen season 3 opener yet but the first 2 looked nothing less than stunning.

Just watched the first episode of season 3,
I really enjoyed it and it looked stunning.
Can't wait for episode 2 now.......

Are you watching it on NowTV, if so that's your problem, not the production.

Haven't seen season 3 opener yet but the first 2 looked nothing less than stunning.

It's via my Sky Q box. How are you watching it? It's the same poor quality for me as was with GOT's and other Sky Atlantic shows. I'd blame it on my set but I don't see the same issues with other shows.

You do know Sky don't make everything they show.

Yes I do thanks, but for saying it's one of their flagship series, like GOT's and Watchmen, it's very poor. None in UHD and all very poor in dark scenes, artifacts and colour gradient banding all over the place, especially in the dark scenes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom