What Are You Currently Listening To And On What? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks and will do.
I've just mentioned Tesseract to my eldest niece and she replied - "I know them, yeah lovely lads, done some album cover work for them".... She's a professional photographer.:cool:

Nice, probably already mentioned I've got tickets to see them later in the year.

Photography is also a hobby of mine and I have managed to get a photo pass to a local gig so will be doing my first gig photo session. It helps that it is a gig I was going to anyway but this gets me stage side of the front barrier! Fingers crossed I get a few decent shots but I am sure I will also learn loads.

Bought the remastered 'Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction' at the weekend.

One of the few remasters these days that's been done properly, love this album. So many childhood memories.

Guns N' Roses - It's So Easy

My second hand SACD of The Kinks Muswell Hillbillies has just dropped through the letterbox and I have bought John Williams My Life in Music.

I asked the wife what she wanted to listen to. I never knew my wife was religious but her answer referred to a crying messiah.:eek:

Joel Helleny ~ Lip Service (1996). A lovely, very naturally recorded first and sadly only album under his own name from this trombone maestro, who first came to my attention as a result of his sterling contributions to a couple of Scott Hamilton albums, especially My Romance (1996), which is virtually a joint project. Here, his support band comprises friends on piano, el. guitar, bass and drums. A minor treasure of an album.
---------------
Home system (Wadia/Bryston/Lyngdorf/PMC/Mana Acoustics and a Sony MiniDisc deck, with Abbey Road cables, except for a pair of balanced Kimber KCAG interconnects between the crossover and power amp for the sub's (because they're cleaner and quicker than anything else I've tried) and a pair of balanced Van Damme interconnects between the D:AC and pre-amp (because the Abbey Roads wrought no improvement).

End of Salvation - Monolith of leviathan

Saw these guys last night in Guildford. Loads of energy despite the small crowd due to the headliners (Jinjer) not being able to get Visa/Work Permit in time so did not play. Interesting mix of traditional doom/death metal with some hardcore/djent rhythms thrown in. Lots of great changes in rhythm that gets the head nodding fairly vigorously. To my ear this is fairly well produced and lacking in the usually muddiness of this type of band with each part having reasonable separation . Vocals are harsh but pretty well done. If you are into this sort of thing then worth looking out.

Also worth noting Bloodrush were supporting as well and again worth a listen, less harsh/dark with a bit of a more bluesy edge, think really heavy Led Zep crossed with Machinehead, good little three part band.

Working from home today and listening to three songs from three bands I love. Only singles online as the new albums arn't out, but all promising songs so far. I've pre-ordered the AIC and Clutch albums, but no news on the Thrice album release date yet.

Alice In Chains - So Far Under

Clutch - Gimmie The Keys

Thrice - The Grey

Enjoying the breeze coming through the house now all the windows are open, it was a touch humid earlier! Listening to a CD that always hits a nice spot to relax to

'Porcupine Tree - In Absentia'

The Sound Of Muzak

Trains

Joe Sample ~ Carmel (1979). The best of any of his albums that I've managed to hear down the years, this one featuring fine folk such as Nesbert "Stix" Hooper (an old pal from his Crusaders days), Abe Laboriel and Dean Parks. Carmel, btw, is very nice, the Monterey Peninsula being the most temperate place on earth.
---------------
Office system

I am currently listening to the Danish national radio 4 program through my lovely Beosystem 6500.

Picked up a secondhand cd of Johnny cash .. American 5 , the version of four strong winds is probably the most evocative I have ever heard... Listening via a Sony dvd player is 708h used as a transport into the coax input of the Yamaha v440 and out into tannoy m2.. every slurred word .. Johnny was getting older , comes accross perfectly...

Hans Zimmer movie tracks.

Moving on to the Beogram CD6500. The 5th album from Danish '70 group Gasolin'. Produced by Roy Thomas Baker in between doing Queen in the UK. As a result it sounds very good even turning the volume up. Roy also had his input in some of the arrangements.

I'm listening now to Hans Zimmer Live in Prague. Playing on my Pioneer BDP LX58 with the Denon X6200 downmixing the TrueHD for a stereo output to my Oppo PM1s from the Denon's phone out. Doing a very good job, the downmixed track being much more dynamic than the LPCM stereo. It's a really enjoyable concert, even better in Atmos through the full speaker set up.

Still enjoying cassette tapes and my Beocord 5500 enjoys being used. Still using the original belts and works 100% fine.

Currently the 3rd original 1976 tape from Danish group Shubidua. Not to bad sounding.

Listening to an old Scorpions CD

'Scorpions - Crazy World'

Wind Of Change

although in a few minutes I will be watching the world cup with great hope.

Come on England!!

The dream is over :( Ahh well. Always the euro's!

Joe Walsh (Band) ~ The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get (1973). Unquestionably his best, not least due to a sterling support band in the form of Joe Vitale, Rocke Grace and Kenny Passarelli, all of whom contributed on the compositional front as well. Still and always a magic album.
---------------
Office system

Radio 4 national on Danish radio.

Beosystem 6500 doing the job and sounds wonderful

Structural Disorder - Distance (2016)

Swedish new prog rock/metal band. So, if you like Haken, Nova Collective, Spocks Beard, Dream Theatre, Tesseract, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend etc, then I think you will like this. It is very Haken, with similar use of instruments including keyboards, vocals use harmonies/a capello and the octave falsetto in a similar way. I even had to look the members up to see if it was an offshoot or collaboration like Nova Collective. A very good album except in places they string it out a bit, a bit more concise and it would have made it extremely good. Worth a listen.

Stackridge ~ The Man In The Bowler Hat (1973/4). A wonderful album of its time and genre, aided in no small measure by production in the hands of the late, great George Martin, recorded of course at AIR Studios high above Oxford Street. After this one, it was all downhill, though apparently the band still from time to time plays reunion gigs in and around their home town of Bath.
---------------
Office system

Currently the 7t and last official studio album from Danish rock group Gasolin' 1977. Recorded in Sweet Silence Studios with Flemming Rasmussen as one of the enginers.

Cd remaster 2003 now enjoyed with Beosystem 6500

I dug out some old discs last night and came across Fleetwood Mac Behind the Mask. Not their greatest album especially with two original members missing, but nevertheless it's a fine sounding recording. I listened to it on the Marantz 8005 and Oppo PM1s.

It still had the original price sticker on it. I know I bought it just after we moved house in 1990 and it would have been played on my Technics kit and it was bought in Woolworths. £10.99 for a CD in 1990! What were we thinking!

My own music through Rotel 1592 and B&W 705 s2 and The prodigy and Chemical Brothers for some inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom