What Cat 6 cable to network the house?

Harkon321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I previously have run, and a friend terminated, 7 cable runs using a large roll of cat6 cable he had left from a job.

I now need to run several more but am confused by all the different specs. I thought I’d just be able to buy a 100m unterminated roll and get on with it. Confused by why it states MHz on some. Presume I need solid copper.

Has anyone got a link for something they can recommend?

Solid copper cable is what you want to go for. Don't worry about whether it's low halon / low smoke, this only matters if you are running lots of it around a communal block or commercial premises. Avoid copper clad aluminium, as this has slightly worse specs and deteriorates faster. Shielded or unshielded is the next question... Personally I've always gone for unshielded, as the capacitance tends to be slightly lower - which has a limited effect on bandwidth and I found was an issue on some earlier converters, but I doubt it would be a problem with current kit and the shield may just solve any drop out issues caused by induced mains noise.

Cat6 copper here as well.
LSH etc. doesn't matter for domestic stuff, you don't have the long cable ducts.

Bought from Comms Express. Bought 100m, now wish I'd ordered 300m as I've just finished the reel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom