What does it take to use a Panasonic DMR-E85HEB (UK) in US?

Bruce A

Novice Member
Reaction score
..... Other than the correct 220V AC being supplied to the unit?

The owner's manual lists it being compatible with NTSC input and output, alongside the PAL input and output?

Does it just auto select based on the material being inputed, then outputs it in the same format?

I recently was given 3 of these units, which are all waiting for me to round up a 120 > 220 converter box.

I am a longtime DMR-E85H (US) user, and would love to have 3 working backups!

Thanks for your time.

This is general information - not model specific. So it's likely but not guaranteed:

In terms of playback of discs - it will output NTSC or PAL depending solely on the disc and you can't change that. To play a PAL disc you will need a TV that can handle PAL. Many US models no not.

In terms of playback of contents already on the internal HDD - ditto. But see below.

In terms of recording an AV source from an external device (SatBox etc) then if that device produces an NTSC signal you will need to set the TV system (setup menu - Connection - TV system) to NTSC. This setting will (probably) also affect your ability to play HDD contents as well; if it's set to PAL it won't be able to access NTSC content and vice versa. DVD playback is not similarly affected.

In terms of recording off-air, I suspect that its onboard tuner is not at all compatible with any USA broadcasts. If so then, no guide, no timer recordings etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom