What else do I need to drive the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X with Laptop

Simon The Great

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand that these headphones won't really work with my laptop (MacBook Pro 16" 2019) but would they with extra equipment and if so what?

Would it be worth getting them- i.e.e other than connecting them to a decent stand alone amp, would they be amazingly good off a laptop with some other gadget

[I accept I know nowt whatsoever about it! - but I do know good music/sounds when I hear it]

thanks

Depending on your budget and usage setting,

The market has usb stick style DAC / headphone amp combined units. These are powered by the usb drive

Wall powered all in one Dac and headphone amp units

Or wall powered separate DAC and separate headphone amplifier

Depending on your budget and usage setting,

The market has usb stick style DAC / headphone amp combined units. These are powered by the usb drive

Wall powered all in one Dac and headphone amp units

Or wall powered separate DAC and separate headphone amplifier
thanks for replying Steven: had to have a bit of a think about what those meant but I guess Ive got it - so can you get anything for £100 or is that a silly question?

A headphone amplifier alone is double amplifying the built in headphone jack. Might work. Or better keeping £100 or whatever in your account and using the MBP's headphone jack directly. That is why for computer audio people buy a separate DAC (digital analogue amplifier) as well

I withdraw the idea for a usb powered headphone DAC. Realised this headphone is 470 ohm. Buying something like the dragonfly DAC amp is likely not enough power

A budget desktop amp like the JDS lab atom would have enough power but you still need a Dac and your budget is blown

Something all in one like the Fiio K5 Pro is also out of budget. Need to have a think

A headphone amplifier alone is double amplifying the built in headphone jack. Might work. Or better keeping £100 or whatever in your account and using the MBP's headphone jack directly. That is why for computer audio people buy a separate DAC (digital analogue amplifier) as well

I withdraw the idea for a usb powered headphone DAC. Realised this headphone is 470 ohm. Buying something like the dragonfly DAC amp is likely not enough power

A budget desktop amp like the JDS lab atom would have enough power but you still need a Dac and your budget is blown

Something all in one like the Fiio K5 Pro is also out of budget. Need to have a think
really appreciate your suggestion-thanks!

Budget can , at a push, be extended. It is not limited by me but by my very sensible wife.

I did look at the price of the Fiio K5 Pro, though it's out of stock seems to be about £150, not that there's any rush.

I might get away with spending that but having blown so much on the laptop eyebrows are being raised :eek:

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Soz that was meant to read "digital to analogue converter"

The Fiio E10k might have enough drive for 470ohm headphones but the reviews are inconsistent and it is Fiio so you never know what you get durability wise

Tbh if it was my cash I would save up to £150 or £200, or else scout second hand:

- pair budget DAC and amp like the JDS mentioned above

- or buy ifi brand budget DAC amp

Has the headphone arrived yet? If there was a chance of a do over a beyerdynamic lower impedance model dt770 or dt990 would be more flexible to pair up and require less power

Or else forget the DAC amp and go for a portable over ear headphone. Then the MBP headphone jack will be fine

Tbh if it was my cash I would save up to £150 or £200, or else scout second hand:
I'd rather spend more than go secondhand ( past experiences put me off)
what would you suggest at the higher cost?
Has the headphone arrived yet? If there was a chance of a do over a beyerdynamic lower impedance model dt770 or dt990 would be more flexible to pair up and require less power
no they're out of stock- so I can easily change my mind.
I'll check out your suggestions thanks for that -From the reviews of the R70 though I was very keen as I do love the sounds of these {pun not intended] as I am not a fan of much bass and do prefer clarity, sound stage and precision over oomph etc [an imprecise description but I hope you get the gist] but as their main use would be for trying to make music on the Mac the clear level response is important
[/QUOTE]
Or else forget the DAC amp and go for a portable over ear headphone. Then the MBP headphone jack will be fine
Im not sure I understand what this means- by portable does it mean bluetooth?

Last edited:
The audio technica is 470 ohm so needs sufficient power. It's not just about volume for volumes sake but also having the headroom for dynamic swing. I would buy a budget Schiit Modi DAC and Schiit magni amp for £225 ish give or take (although the UK dealer is massively out of stock) or swap in something like the JDS amp.

A portable headphone can mean both wired or Bluetooth that still sits on your head and covers your ears. They will be more efficient and designed to be driven from your smartphone or laptop jack with no external DAC amp or via BT. However these headphones will lack the expansive sound of an open full sized headphone. But see above about the 470 ohm needs

If minimalism is a goal, I would look at the Bose QC 35 II or Sony WH 1000XM3 when they are listed for sale around the £200 mark, which they regularly seem to be. BT means no need to buy a Dac amp.

(In the case of Sony the XM4 model is due out this year some point and will be full whack £300 as a new release)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom