What film are you watching tonight/watched last night???

Gattaca

A great sci-fi thriller ahead of its time. Set in a world where Genetic imperfections can be diagnosed at birth, The story follows Vincent(Ethan Hawke) sadly a victim of the above and seemingly always second best to his perfect brother Anton. Vincent ignores his diagnosis and follows his dream of space travel. This film was ahead of its time and can still stand up to the sic-fi hollywood blockbusters of today. Not reliant on special effects to wow you, the story detail, enormous depth and delivery is more than enough. And sometimes what is lacked in some films today.

Film enjoyment: 7/10

godfather part 1-

looking forward to part 2 tomorrow night.

That's My Boy (2012)

That's My Boy is clearly an attempt by Adam Sandler to rekindle the magic of one of his most successful comedies - The Wedding Singer. It has the same 80s vibe, 80s inspired soundtrack, but the central relationship is father and son instead of boy and girl. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as good as the latter but that doesn't mean it's a turkey in the vein of (I presume) Jack and Jill - I've heard really bad things and I've no interest in watching Sandler in drag so I will prejudge it as a turkey.

If you give it a go, it's actually marginally better than recent efforts such as Grown Ups and Just Go With It. Sandler plays Donny Berger who, as a kid in high school, got his teacher pregnant and has lived off this infamy ever since. The only problem is people stopped being interested after precisely 15 minutes and money doesn't last long when you're a bit of a loser who neglects his child's upbringing for booze and partying. Now middle aged and a complete bum, Donny needs some urgent cash to pay the IRS or prison beckons. That's where his kid comes into the fold as a reunion will get him the dosh to pay the taxman. However, so traumatised by his upbringing was his kid that he ran away and created a whole new identity for himself. And that's where the 'fun' begins.......

Clearly this movie is a wish fulfilment fantasy as the high school teacher is a total hottie who actually fancies the teenaged Donny (which is also obviously dubious but gets away with it being a nonsensical comedy). As an adult, despite being a loser, overweight and no Brad Pitt, all women find Donny irresistible. Sandler plays his usual man child and almost every comedy moment resorts to a crude joke or sight gag. There's a nice bit of self deprecating humour from Vanilla Ice as himself - he now works as a hot dog vendor - and some decent cameos thrown in. As i said, its better than his recent stuff but not as good as Wedding Singer or my own guilty pleasure Don't Mess With The Zohan. Most memorable part of the movie is the killer soundtrack.

Last edited:
That's My Boy (2012)

That's My Boy is clearly an attempt by Adam Sandler to rekindle the magic of one of his most successful comedies - The Wedding Singer. It has the same 80s vibe, 80s inspired soundtrack, but the central relationship is father and son instead of boy and girl. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as good as the latter but that doesn't mean it's a turkey in the vein of (I presume) Jack and Jill - I've heard really bad things and I've no interest in watching Sandler in drag so I will prejudge it as a turkey.

If you give it a go, it's actually marginally better than recent efforts such as Grown Ups and Just Go With It. Sandler plays Donny Berger who, as a kid in high school, got his teacher pregnant and has lived off this infamy ever since. The only problem is people stopped being interested after precisely 15 minutes and money doesn't last long when you're a bit of a loser who neglects his child's upbringing for booze and partying. Now middle aged and a complete bum, Donny needs some urgent cash to pay the IRS or prison beckons. That's where his kid comes into the fold as a reunion will get him the dosh to pay the taxman. However, so traumatised by his upbringing was his kid that he ran away and created a whole new identity for himself. And that's where the 'fun' begins.......

Clearly this movie is a wish fulfilment fantasy as the high school teacher is a total hottie who actually fancies the teenaged Donny (which is also obviously dubious but gets away with it being a nonsensical comedy). As an adult, despite being a loser, overweight and no Brad Pitt, all women find Donny irresistible. Sandler plays his usual man child and almost every comedy moment resorts to a crude joke or sight gag. There's a nice bit of self deprecating humour from Vanilla Ice as himself - he now works as a hot dog vendor - and some decent cameos thrown in. As i said, its better than his recent stuff but not as good as Wedding Singer or my own guilty pleasure Don't Mess With The Zohan. Most memorable part of the movie is the killer soundtrack.

One of the worst films I have ever seen

I've seen a lot worse.

brian s said:
The husband and wife team of Olivia Colman and Eddie Marsan didn't work for me. They are both brilliant actors and I so wan't to like/appreciate this but their scenes together just seemed too forced. A valiant effort in many respects but it just wasn't right for me. A shame as there is so much talent involved but maybe it's just me.

Bri

I thought the husband and wife team was fantastic in this film, it felt forced I think for a reason, they didn't live each other, and she was scared of him, played perfectly. I think if it hasn't felt like a forced relationship then it wouldn't have worked as well as it did.

Just my thoughts :)

I watched cloud atlas tonight.

Now, bear in mind that I have read the book that this film is based upon. And I think, after watching the film, that reading the book is an absolutely ESSENTIAL step in enjoying this film. There are some parts that just don't make sense unless you have read it. That's not to take away from the fantastic storyline/s and beautiful cinematography.

I won't say too much more about the film, but if you are planning on watching it, read the book first :)

Overall: 8.5/10

I watched cloud atlas tonight.

Now, bear in mind that I have read the book that this film is based upon. And I think, after watching the film, that reading the book is an absolutely ESSENTIAL step in enjoying this film. There are some parts that just don't make sense unless you have read it. That's not to take away from the fantastic storyline/s and beautiful cinematography.

I won't say too much more about the film, but if you are planning on watching it, read the book first :)

Overall: 8.5/10

If a movie doesnt work without the audience being made to read a novel beforehand, then its a failure.

Kill List

Never seen it before, and I missed the first 20 minutes, but what an unsettling experience that was. I dont know if I enjoyed it or not; its nasty stuff indeed. Yet I felt compelled to keep watching anyway...

Some quite macabre twists and its certainly one of the most brutal British films I've seen. Its also very well acted by the leads (especially Neil Maskell). In the end though, its hard to see what the filmmaker was trying to say and it makes it seem rather gratuitous.

Effective, but disturbing.

Murder By Numbers

A pleasant revisit to a some lwhat simplistic some might say cliche crime thriller. Two high school kids, Richard(Ryan Gosling) and Justin( Michael Pitt) are intelligent, rich, bored with a lack of parental involvement in their lives are planning the perfect murder. Que Homicide detective Sandra Bullock. I enjoyed this as much the second time round as the first and thought Ryan Gosling and Michael Pitt were excellent individually and as a pairing.

Film enjoyment: 7/10

Last edited:
Kill List

I hated this film, thought it was utter pants.

Watched goonies on ch5 yesterday, still an absolutely brilliant film 25 or so years on.

I hated this film, thought it was utter pants.

yea I didn't like it. I went into it with an open mind wanting to like the film after hearing good words being spoken about it. but I came away thinking it was just trying too hard to appeal to certain audiences and being a bit too gratuitous.

The Raid - 6/10

Little plot, loads of fighting. While the knife fights were very good, the rest were just stupid. If you take a hard roundhouse kick in the face, you're going to sleep. You don't take 3 in a row followed by a few knees and keep on swinging like you didn't feel it.

I stayed up to watch Roadhouse last night.

I usually hate the phrase 'guilty pleasure', because I dont think you should ever feel guilty about liking something. But if ever a film could be described as such, its this one :). Great 80s film (in spite of the perms n' mullets) with some surprisingly brutal martial arts goodness, and a generous cheese topping. And Swayze was never better.

Sam Elliott is always good too as the epitome of gruff, all-American southern tough guy-ness.

lucasisking said:
I stayed up to watch Roadhouse last night.

I usually

Don't forget the quality one liners:

"I used to **** guys like you in prison."

"Pain don't hurt."

lucasisking said:
Oh yes. And delivered to perfection. Much like Die Hard & Lethal Weapon.

Roadhouse is the 80s action franchise that never was...

That's what's missing in action movies these days compared to the 80s. I mean we still have great dialogue and one liners delivered by stars such as Cruise (jack reacher) and Downey Jr (iron man, avengers) but they seem to be exceptions rather than the norm. We have a 007 who doesn't do witty retorts, and when John McClane in the latest Die Hard apparently doesn't have any quality pithy comebacks, then we have problems. Even the one liners in Expendables 2 felt a bit forced rather than rolling off the tongue.

That's what's missing in action movies these days compared to the 80s. I mean we still have great dialogue and one liners delivered by stars such as Cruise (jack reacher) and Downey Jr (iron man, avengers) but they seem to be exceptions rather than the norm. We have a 007 who doesn't do witty retorts, and when John McClane in the latest Die Hard apparently doesn't have any quality pithy comebacks, then we have problems. Even the one liners in Expendables 2 felt a bit forced rather than rolling off the tongue.

Some more of Road House's quotes. Enjoy :)

Road House (1989) - Trivia - IMDb

Perks of Being a Wallflower

Great film that reads as though it'll to fall into that US teenage angst cliche. All the ingredients suggest it will but the script, the cinematography, the acting all go toward making this a great film. I went into this not expecting much (as I did Adventureland) and in the end thoroughly enjoyed it (as with AL).

8/10

When frequenting Blockbusters I'd always give in to being tired and wanting an easy watch at the weekends. Inevitably I'd rent some tosh CGI heavy movie that would prove to be the usual meh by the time it'd finished.
Since signing up to Lovefilm I've invested some thought (& research) into what I want to rent for the weekends. By the time the films arrive I've no choice than to watch them and I'm really glad I have. The last couple of weeks I've watched Beasts of Southern Wild, Unstoppable, Rust & Bone and now Perks of Wallflower and it feels like I'm riding a wave of great films. So used to seeing 1 good film in 5 and now that seems to have turned around. :smashin:
....you watch - I'll pull a duff one next.:rolleyes:

(EDIT - not that I'm advocating LF over Blockbusters btw - respect to the guys & gals at BB)

Last edited:
Watched a documentary called Side By Side. Quote good, it was talking and interviewing directors etc. Cameron, Nolan, Scorsese, Lucas and co. abt the advent of digital film production. Keanu Reeves was doing the interviewing. Interesting to hear the for and against views.

ID4 (Independence Day) - lacking in excitement this time round

Source Code - rewatch, still good as the first viewing

Another Earth

A gentle, low budget independent movie with a sci-fi twist. While I usually enjoy this kind of thing (really liked Monsters for example), this felt really insubstantial despite the poignant story. The movie director touches the screen with delicate brush strokes, delivering fairly lightweight social-realism and even lighter sci-fi musings. Star Trek has covered similar ground before im sure, even though its well acted and shot. A few nice visual effects too, but it still evaporates from memory quicker than a snowflake.

6/10

Sightseers

Good brit film, dark comedy with some real laughs from me at times.

Well worth a watch, 7/10

Watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. Very good film and Bradley Cooper can feel a bit aggrieved to have lost out on an Oscar. Cracking performance.

Just watched Grease :laugh: Not seen it for about 15 years. What a great film/musical. The music is fantastic and I'd forgotten what stunner Olivia Newton-John was in her day.

Going to watch Sightseers now..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom