What has happened to DTS:X

readingfan, why do you think that nobody wants new sound? Atmos and DTS X are both great and many of us, including myself, enjoying this. I'm never going back! :)
Speaker install must be done only once.

I'm happy for you , but I'm not one of those who thinks the hassle of the install is worth the benefit.
I can see Dolby Atmos at my local cinema , which is where I see most movies before I buy them.
To have ceiling or height speakers at home is not a simple install at present. I'm sure the average household will feel the same , so this is likely to be in the preserve of enthusiasts but unlikely to be mass market especially with the rise of soundbase and soundbars for the mass market

Nah, it won't be mass market, but it will be awesome (like most other non-mass market things ;) )

I'm still working out my set up. Ceiling speakers out of the running at the moment (due to laziness on my part more than anything else) but easy to add height or upfiring ones or both.

I just built a dedicated cinema so I had the chance to install x4 overhead speakers.
I opted for a 7.2 Denon x1200 w avr which can operate x 2 and x2 of the ceiling speakers are at the moment unused but ready.
I decided £325 for a 7.2 amp would be enough to see what it is all about with modern day equipment for now and maybe upgrade later.
I find the results are brilliant of what I have now and even xbox and Netflix seem to be able to make use of the overhead speakers most of the time.
Old bluray discs some can do it.
If there is a helicopter ,it is up there and so on--
If all x 4 speakers were connected I think it may become a bit confusing as what is coming from where and would take my mind off the film.
The on line music streaming is wonderful.

I cannot see at the moment that spending even more £££s would really make much more of a improvement.

Last edited:
I brought in a couple of discs from Amazon US when my receiver got the update in Feb but not particularly looking out for DTSX discs any more. If you have got Atmos already its not going to change your life.

One upcoming DTS:X release worth having will be the Independence Day 20th Anniversary UHD disc. The thing about this is that Fox have decided not to include DTS:X with the Blu-ray release and are only including it on the UHD disc.

The reality is that the original DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track – taken apart from all of the furore – is actually a pretty impressive job. It’s hard to fathom why we couldn’t get the same DTS:X track which the upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray release will be sporting, as that’s almost like offering up a video presentation which isn’t taken from the 4K remaster which they used for the UHD – i.e. an outright insult – and it’s even harder to understand why the packaging says 7.1 (perhaps a holdover from the original intention to supply a DTS:X track, as 7.1 would be the natural core) but, as 8-year-old tracks go, it’s amidst the best of the best..

Independence Day 20th Anniversary Blu-ray Review

Object based audio is a big leap forward in the movie viewing experience whether it be the cinema or at home. In a properly configured object based home cinema the results are stunning.

If you can't accommodate crinkling speakers then front and rear height speakers work extremely well.

Dolby's DSU and DTS's Neural:X deliver fantastic immersion to 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 movies and programmes.

Object based audio is going to stay, becoming more advanced in the future.

Object based audio is a big leap forward in the movie viewing experience whether it be the cinema or at home. In a properly configured object based home cinema the results are stunning.

If you can't accommodate crinkling speakers then front and rear height speakers work extremely well.

Dolby's DSU and DTS's Neural:X deliver fantastic immersion to 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 movies and programmes.

Object based audio is going to stay, becoming more advanced in the future.

I am new to this type of audio effect and it really is fantastic.

The effects going on all around seems strange to start with but soon match the film , thing is ,I only appreciate how good it is because if I return into my lounge with ordinary LG wide tv and soundbar and put on the same film ,it seems wasted ,almost unwatchable !

Problem now is , my Mrs seems to think I am married to my man cave cinema and not her.
What do I do ? so many films to see on Netflix I have missed over the years ,she likes soaps.!

reads and watched the marketing spiel and they do imply that it will work with normal 5.1 speaker configs, which I doubt. its all pretty confusing and to make matters worse there are now receivers with DTS X and virtual X processing which is more likely to work with different speaker configs. retailer's seem to be just as confused none I asked could explain DTS X to me.

DTS:X is simply an object based 3D immersive format along the same lines as Atmos. One of the differentiating factors is the fewer number of abjects when compared to what Atmos can portray and obviously the fact it relies upon DTS-HD Master Audio formatted audio to carry the metadata as opposed to the Dolby formats associated with Atmos.Yes, unlike Atmos a recver will process the DTS:X metadata even in the absence of the additional speakers you'd ordinarilly associate with an Atmos configuration, but you'd not get the desired three dimensional imersion without these speakers.

ivegot a receiver which supports dts x, virtual and neural x too arriving tomorrow I was wondering if I had made a mistake with the purchase and wasgoing to cancel my order but if it is as immersive as described in this thread then I'll keep hold of it and see how I get on with it.

The fact that the receiver includes the virtual height options doesn't stop you installing and using physical height, ceiling or upward firing speakers instead. You'd still get the best portrayal of DTS:X or Atmos using actual speakers as opposed to relying upon virtual representations of them. The virtualisation is or was intended for use with soundbars as opposed to being implemented into AV receiver.

cheers Dante I haven't got ceiling speakers and have no plans to fit any at this point which is why I compramised with an amp which supported neural and virtual x processing but ive been kicking myself wondering if I I have made a bad choice :(

cheers Dante I haven't got ceiling speakers and have no plans to fit any at this point which is why I compramised with an amp which supported neural and virtual x processing but ive been kicking myself wondering if I I have made a bad choice :(
It's likely to be a feature on most new receivers as manufacturers try to keep up with each other. You don't have to use it and there will probably be a way to use the native soundtrack on any disc. Virtual will in no way be better than correctly installed and configured speakers for the Atmos domain.

You are not forced to engage the virtual height modes and can simply run the receiver as a conventional 5.1 or 7.1 AV receiver. If unable to accomodate physical height, ceiling or upfiring speakers then you may as well use the virtual height modes to try get the best you can from Atmos and or DTS:X encoded soundtracks. You would hear a better portrayal of those soudtracks using physical as opposed to virtual speakers though.

yea I know virtualisation will never be better than physical speakers it was blind compromise on my part.

so my understanding now is that DTS X is an object based audio format and wanted to know if ATMOS is as well and if so can Neural X and Virtual X processing be used on both of Atmos and DTS X audio streams? reason I'm asking is because my receiver seems to give me the option of engaging the virtualisation modes only when playing DTS content, DD content is not offering me the option of using neural or virtual x processing. which suggests that they are not?

Both Atmos and DTS:X are obeject based 3D immersive formats. No, the competitor's proproeatary upmixing cannot be directly applied to Atmos or DTS:X. If you apply Neural:X to an Atmos soundtrack then a receiver ignores the Atmos metadata and you get just the TrueHD or DD+ base audio the metadata was packaged with plus Neieural:X upmixing. If you apply Dolby Surround Upmixing to a soundtrack inclusive of DTS:X metadata then that metadata is ignored and the Neural:X upmixing is applied to the DTS-HD Master Audio audio that the DTS:X metadata is packaged with.

Dolby were attempting to expand this and prevent a competitor's upmixing being applied to all Dolby formatted audio and Dolby DSU from being applied to non Dolby formatted audio, but the EU ruled against this:

Last edited:
Thank you fpr your very informative reply that's helped me understand it better. its such a shame they chose not to make them interoperable as that would have increased the amount of content available fpr both parties.

There's no real need or point to applying upmixing to either Atmos or DTS:X. Both are already 3D imersive object orientated formats that would already utilise all of the speakers present within a setup.

Dolby Surrund Umixing and Neural:X create pseudo Atmos or DTS:X as opposed to enhancing audio formatted as formatted and being portrayed as Atmos or DTS:X.

true, but for those who dont have the option of installing ceiling or even rears dts virtual x would still give them a 3 d immersive experience

There are a limited number of receiver with Virtual:X, but those that do include it all also include Dolby Virtual Height. The issue isn't that you'd not be able to create virtual height speakers relative to certain formats, but more a case of the hassle a user has to go through to ensure thar correct virual height option is being applied relativ to the format it is being applied to.

It should also be mentioned that the lower tier Denon and Marantz models that include Virtual:X will not fascilitate using Audyssey room EQ correction while Virtual:X is engaged.

my receive has support for both neural and virtual but it doesnt have the Dolby virtual height support itsa pioneer vsx 934. it makes sense for receivers to not have the eq correction active during virtualisation because the virtualisation algorithms will be processing and creating a virtual soundscape which will be independent of the speaker distances and crossover frequencies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom