What I Watched Last Night In HD/UHD etc (Review).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh so this.........

The best one was my dad rented Conan the Barbarian when I was about 9. After the first ten minutes he coughed and asked me to go and make him a cup of tea.......fine I thought......but five mins later he coughed and asked for another one before he’d finished the one he had.......by the time the film ended I’d make him eleven cups of tea.

When I saw the film years later I realised he sent me to make tea whenever there were lady parts on show. The swine................:rotfl:
I can beat that easily! (We were allowed to watch Conan and we ruddy loved it!). We'd seen Flash Gordon a few months before and we all loved it. Now my mum was a bit silly about these things and she went and hired Flash Gordon again...only she hadn't noticed it was slightly misspelt. Can you guess which film she hired?! ;) Needless to say this was one of the cases where my dad quickly pressed STOP - I don't actually think we saw much but he must have cottoned on pretty quick! :D

Oh and there was the time my mum brought home a dodgy pirate tape called "ET". We had no idea what it was or what it was about - the guy in the shop told my mum the film was going to be massive etc. Well that was a nice surprise - not too long after we actually "found out" about the film on release etc!

I can beat that easily! (We were allowed to watch Conan and we ruddy loved it!). We'd seen Flash Gordon a few months before and we all loved it. Now my mum was a bit silly about these things and she went and hired Flash Gordon again...only she hadn't noticed it was slightly misspelt. Can you guess which film she hired?! ;) Needless to say this was one of the cases where my dad quickly pressed STOP - I don't actually think we saw much but he must have cottoned on pretty quick! :D

When I was a kid, my mum bought me Bruce Lee’s Way of the Dragon on VHS and I watched it together with my parents. Cue lots of awkwardness during the scene when an Italian prostitute takes Bruce back to her place! :D

Oh so this.........

The best one was my dad rented Conan the Barbarian when I was about 9. After the first ten minutes he coughed and asked me to go and make him a cup of tea.......fine I thought......but five mins later he coughed and asked for another one before he’d finished the one he had.......by the time the film ended I’d make him eleven cups of tea.

When I saw the film years later I realised he sent me to make tea whenever there were lady parts on show. The swine................:rotfl:

With my dad it would be an energetic rustling of his newspaper and clearing of his throat which would gradually intensify to the point of seeming like someone who had contracted Covid 19 in the middle of a hurricane:)

Sicario 2: Soldado (4K UHD)

Just to be clear, you wanna see this thing through, I'm gonna have to get... dirty.

Ah, beautiful day. Blue skies, large calibre weapons. I love getting out of the office.

I have definitely reviewed this one here before but hey I might as well do it again. Had to watch this again after seeing the first film. This one is set about three years later and this time round there are terrorist atrocities on US soil and the suspicion is that the Cartels are now not just trafficking people but trafficking terrorists. The government bigwigs call up Matt Graver (Josh Brolin) and give him carte blanche to deal with the threat. The plan is to get the Mexican cartels to go to war with each other and the idea is to capture the daughter of one of the chiefs to kick things off. Needless to say, Graver calls in Alejandro (Benicio Del Toro) again but things don't go quite to plan...

Emily Blunt isn't in this one and though she is missed, the writers couldn't find a way in for her into this script and neither could I really. Brolin and Del Toro are just brilliant in these two roles and I hope this isn't the last of the Sicario films as although this isn't as good as the first one, its still a good film in its own right and the two have such presence that the film never dips for me. The combat scenes are excellent - I have no idea just how realistic they really are of course (who does?!) but they felt very real to me. As with the first film, the film also follows a protagonist on the other 'side' of the action - this time following a teenage boy, Miguel Hernandez (Elijah Rodriguez), who is quickly influenced by his older cousin into human trafficking for the cartel. The two storylines clash in a dramatic way - I won't say what for spoilers! - but things aren't quite what they seem. Ahem. The young actress playing the daughter of Reyes, one of the cartel bosses, Isabel (Isabella Merced) is very good in her role as are the minor characters of the film. I particularly liked the part where Alejandro and Isabel are in big trouble and look for refuge in the desert. The very end of the film obviously points at a sequel which would involve Miguel a lot more but I am not sure that would be the best move here as it just seems a bit cliched? - we will have to wait and see. We certainly see more of Del Toro's character in this one which may or may not be a good thing but its certainly interesting. The director, Stefano Sollima, does a good solid job here with his own touches but it doesn't reach the heights that Villeneuve did with the first film for my money. Wolski gets very close to Deakins on the cinematography front but like everything else with this film, not quite reaching the levels that the first film did.

As you would expect, this 4K UHD looks great. Outdoor scenes look fantastic on the whole as do many of the night sequences. Not all though - I noticed that a few indoor dark scenes looked rather iffy with elevated blacks here and there and lacking shadow detail at times too. Don't get me wrong - most of the dark sequences look great but overall its not up to the PQ of the first film - I am sure a bit of shadow detail was missing at times unlike the first film which was pretty much perfect. Its excellent on the whole though with great detail and the usual HDR/WCG making its presence felt where needed and never over the top. The AQ consists of another great Atmos track but though it is excellent with some great surround action, I did feel it wasn't quite as good as the first film - I cannot put my finger on it but it was just a bit below. Still great though of course!

Summary? This is a very solid sequel and a good film in its own right. You don't really need to watch the first film to watch this one but it obviously makes sense to do so. It doesn't reach the heights of the first film but not that many films of this ilk do so that's no bad thing. I hope they come up with a third film at some point because Brolin and Del Toro are so great in these roles that I just want to see more of it! Good stuff!

Film 8/10
PQ 9/10
AQ 9/10

I still haven’t watched Sicario! *runs away*

Just buy it - you won't regret it...

Oh...I do have it. I have a disorder in which I sometimes save up well regarded films to watch at a later date, and watch supposedly crap films first. I think its a part of my OCD??

Oh...I do have it. I have a disorder in which I sometimes save up well regarded films to watch at a later date, and watch supposedly crap films first. I think its a part of my OCD??

I thought this was just me. I go through the films on the bookshelf and find a reason not to watch any of the classic stuff (too long, need to concentrate, save it for another time..) and end up not watching anything or crack on with something totally throw away.

Well this looks wonderful (obvious caveat that a lot of it is horrific) and the 'one take' concept works really well. Some of it is 'operatic' in a non pretentious and beautiful way, it really is art on the big screen.

The story is simple but works really well and plenty happens as the film ticks along nicely. The acting is good all round. The production values are superb. It really makes you think of what hardships these soldiers had to go through on the front line - absolutely horrendous :(

For me it does have a couple of flaws though.

I just didn't care that much about the main characters. Whilst the death of one of them was well done and a bit of a shock, it took away the element of threat for the other one in my opinion. He was not going to get killed and the film just stop. Once he was on his own, he was effectively bulletproof. The casting choices also took me out of the film a couple of times - not the fault of the actors who all did a great job but one in particular was quite jarring

I did really enjoy watching this and can understand why a lot of people rate it so highly.

I still haven’t watched Sicario! *runs away*

crowe.gif

Godzilla (2014, WB, region free - UK disc)
After Aquaman, Junior wanted something......similar. After deciding she didn't know what she really wanted she picked this at random....so lets see how that went, shall we?

And.....we're off!

She's fine with all the prologue stuff - a bit complex, lots of it going over her head ("Daddy what's 'Radiation'?"....er.......), but she's in. Oh, now we see Japan and SWEET JESUS....no, no, she's fine, Cranston's horrific wig didn't scare her. But she's just watched a daddy kill a mummy.........turns out she's all kinds of fine with understanding why (sacrifice, ya da ya da)......

......uh oh, now we see Aaron Taylor-Johnson and have to explain he's the young boy now grown up ("Daddy is he English?" "No" "But what about in real life?" "Well, yes he is...." "So why is he pretending to be American....?" "Shhhhhhh, we're missing stuff")......

.......and......MUTO! Whoa, she's now hiding behind her hands but loving it as she won't shut up! Aw, bless!

......ok......now.....oh crap, Cranston dies.......are we in trouble? No, no she's ok with this. A bit sad but she's good as she want's to know if Johnson is going to get home to his little boy.......

.......so now we're in Hawaii......and here comes Godzilla....snigger, she say's he looks kinda grumpy. And he does. Titter.......

.......and....uh oh.....we see a dog......and a tidal wave.......she starts to get angsty.......she's grabbed my hand.......no, no, show the dog escaping the tidal wave, for the love of all that is holy SHOW THE SODDING DOG ESCAPE...............

.......and you don't........

.......and Junior bursts out crying.......and won't stop......."the dog....the dog Daddy......mwaaaaaa!"......

.....don't worry I say, I'm sure there's a shot the morning after as Johnson hands the small child back to his parents of the dog being all ok. Wait, I tell her, it'll be here any minute......and wait......and wait.....and no. No, it isn't......there isn't the shot.....arse......

.....and then she didn't want to know any more. "Why would they kill a dog Daddy???? Why?????"

Film night over. Possibly forever.

There goes my idea of showing her Jaws tonight then.........

Thanks Gareth Edwards. At least Emmerich had the decency to show the dog escaping.........my daughter hates you now.......and I do too.......

:(

So its been a bit longer than planned to get the Bondathon back on track. But after weeks of Disney+ and playing in the sunshine, both lads demanded to have a 007 matinee double bill:

Live and Let Die
A new era dawns. Of all the Bond phases, we are entering into the one I know the least, having seen maybe two of the films in this sequence.

Roger Moore takes the reins but business continues as usual. The America-heavy approach of Diamonds Are Forever is continued here as James takes on a heroin dealer who dabbles in voodoo.

Opening with an intriguing series of murders followed by one of the best Bond themes, we get off to a great start. The rest isn't quite up there with Goldfinger and Thunderball and there are some truly awful bits: the dialogue between black characters (clearly written by white men), Mr Big's mask (did anyone EVER not know who it really was?), Bond's "seduction" of Gloria Hendry.

But there are good bits too:
the speedboat jump, the alligator jumps, the train fight (complete with throwbacks to From Russia with Love), the exploding bullets.

So a good, if not spectacular, start for Mr Moore. But that theme tune...

The Man with the Golden Gun
Roger Moore is back and this time it's personal. Kind of.

A slightly different approach to the previous Bonds, this was one I had never seen before. After the first five minutes I turned to the family and said "What the actual fudge is happening? Why is there a Madame Toussauds in his house?" I was not hopeful...

But I have to say, it wasn't half bad. Not a classic, but certainly enjoyable. I liked the more realistic (within the Bond universe anyway) approach: car chases end in crashes and fender-benders, not explosions; there are conversations and stakeouts rather than regular action beats. Yes, there are still silly bits - the carplane is ridiculous and that opening was nonsense - but they can be overlooked. Except maybe why Scaramanga has a waxwork of Bond given what we later find out about who sent the engraved bullet.

The mix of good and bad can perhaps be best summed up by a certain cameo: a brilliant throwaway gag that is then extended until annoying and then repeated again.

Other things worth mentioning: the car jump, (sexism alert) Britt Ekland's bikini, the absolutely stunning design of the Queen Elizabeth. One major disappointment was the lack of the James Bond theme at the expense of an instrumental version of Lulu's song.

So, for my least seen Bond, we are two for two in the good-but-not-great stakes. I'm sure that will change come Moonraker and Octopussy but for now, so far so good.

So, for my least seen Bond, we are two for two in the good-but-not-great stakes. I'm sure that will change come Moonraker and Octopussy but for now, so far so good.

2 of my fave Bonds ever right there. Watched Octopussy again the other night. Glorious. The BR looks lovely but i'd so love a 4K release (of all the Moore Bonds).

Tried to Watch Moonraker last night on my UK Panny UHD Player but the BR I have (actually have 2 x Moonraker) are both locked to Region A (most of my BR's are US versions and i've packed away my old US BR player). Got my hopes up when I googled and found a remote hack but it didn't work (or for several other BR's I tried :rolleyes: ).

Yesterdays UHD Double Bill.

E.T - US 4K UHD

No introduction needed for this one. 38 years ago :eek: Mr Spielberg unleashed another monster hit upon the world. E.T gets left behind on earth and forms a bond with Elliot, who try to assist him in his efforts to contact his alien friends to come back for him.

Only vague memories of this one which I think involved a family trip to the cinema and not many dry eyes come the end.

Must be 20 years since I've seen this so i'd forgotten some minor parts of the movie. Tis a lovely family movie but its lost a lot of the magic, compared to seeing it for the first time as a young kid. It's a good movie but that's all I feel about it now. That said, it was still getting a bit emotional come the end!

How does it look. Firstly, I was kind of taken aback with how dark a lot of the movie is. Many scenes seem to rely on only limited natural light. A quick google on the UHD found lots of forum(s) discussions on how dark the 4K is compared to the BR (which I can't recall ever watching).

No matter. Straight away I knew this was going to be a knockout.

Right from the off, there's a scene right at the beginning where E.T is pulling a plant out of the ground right next to a rabbit. It's practically pitch black but you can see the plant clearly and lots of detail on the rabbits fur and face. The scene where E.T looks across and down to the town with all the lights. Wowza. The family home and all the bits and bobs lying about. When E.T opens the fridge and takes out the Potato Salad and Beer. The detail on his hands:eek:. I can't remember now but I bet it never looked this good at the cinema on opening night.

There are numerous close up's of E.T showing lots of detail on his body and, though it may only be a man in a rubber suit, it's still pretty convincing now. God bless practical effects.:love:

Some of the visual effects (
flying bikes
are a tad iffy but one can forgive that.

It's Spielberg so there's grain but it's very fine and never overwhelming (imo).

To my eyes, on my screen (55" OLED) the whole movie looks amazing. Another classic back catalog home run.

Blade Runner - US 4K UHD

Another movie that I rate as a very good but I confess that i'm not in the "one of the greatest of all time" camp.

Good old Mr Ford plays Dekard, a Blade Runner seeking out 4 replicants (AI's) who have returned to earth to track down their maker. You guys know the rest:D

I didn't think it could get any better after E.T but here's another 38 year old movie that looks downright amazing.

The opening shot where we see a futuristic L.A looks so crystal clear, for a second or so, the visual effects, look a little iffy. That soon passes and 99% of the VFX still look incredible.

It's always dark and seems to be raining most of the time (hell it could have been filmed in Manchester:D) but the clarity is outstanding.

I'm not sure how often I will re-watch this (and E.T) but a lot of it is pure demo material so they'll both probably have a permanent stay in my collection.

As much as I only rate the movie as very good, the soundtrack by Vangelis is one of the best, ever. Just outstanding.

The music (Love Theme) when Deckard gets up and joins Rachael at the piano is arguably the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard in film:love:

Yesterdays UHD Double Bill.

E.T - US 4K UHD

No introduction needed for this one. 38 years ago :eek: Mr Spielberg unleashed another monster hit upon the world. E.T gets left behind on earth and forms a bond with Elliot, who try to assist him in his efforts to contact his alien friends to come back for him.

Only vague memories of this one which I think involved a family trip to the cinema and not many dry eyes come the end.

Must be 20 years since I've seen this so i'd forgotten some minor parts of the movie. Tis a lovely family movie but its lost a lot of the magic, compared to seeing it for the first time as a young kid. It's a good movie but that's all I feel about it now. That said, it was still getting a bit emotional come the end!

How does it look. Firstly, I was kind of taken aback with how dark a lot of the movie is. Many scenes seem to rely on only limited natural light. A quick google on the UHD found lots of forum(s) discussions on how dark the 4K is compared to the BR (which I can't recall ever watching).

No matter. Straight away I knew this was going to be a knockout.

Right from the off, there's a scene right at the beginning where E.T is pulling a plant out of the ground right next to a rabbit. It's practically pitch black but you can see the plant clearly and lots of detail on the rabbits fur and face. The scene where E.T looks across and down to the town with all the lights. Wowza. The family home and all the bits and bobs lying about. When E.T opens the fridge and takes out the Potato Salad and Beer. The detail on his hands:eek:. I can't remember now but I bet it never looked this good at the cinema on opening night.

There are numerous close up's of E.T showing lots of detail on his body and, though it may only be a man in a rubber suit, it's still pretty convincing now. God bless practical effects.:love:

Some of the visual effects (
flying bikes
are a tad iffy but one can forgive that.

It's Spielberg so there's grain but it's very fine and never overwhelming (imo).

To my eyes, on my screen (55" OLED) the whole movie looks amazing. Another classic back catalog home run.

Blade Runner - US 4K UHD

Another movie that I rate as a very good but I confess that i'm not in the "one of the greatest of all time" camp.

Good old Mr Ford plays Dekard, a Blade Runner seeking out 4 replicants (AI's) who have returned to earth to track down their maker. You guys know the rest:D

I didn't think it could get any better after E.T but here's another 38 year old movie that looks downright amazing.

The opening shot where we see a futuristic L.A looks so crystal clear, for a second or so, the visual effects, look a little iffy. That soon passes and 99% of the VFX still look incredible.

It's always dark and seems to be raining most of the time (hell it could have been filmed in Manchester:D) but the clarity is outstanding.

I'm not sure how often I will re-watch this (and E.T) but a lot of it is pure demo material so they'll both probably have a permanent stay in my collection.

As much as I only rate the movie as very good, the soundtrack by Vangelis is one of the best, ever. Just outstanding.

The music (Love Theme) when Deckard gets up and joins Rachael at the piano is arguably the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard in film:love:
Blade Runner - best film of all time and best soundtrack of all time too. But that's me! :D

So its been a bit longer than planned to get the Bondathon back on track. But after weeks of Disney+ and playing in the sunshine, both lads demanded to have a 007 matinee double bill:

Live and Let Die
A new era dawns. Of all the Bond phases, we are entering into the one I know the least, having seen maybe two of the films in this sequence.

Roger Moore takes the reins but business continues as usual. The America-heavy approach of Diamonds Are Forever is continued here as James takes on a heroin dealer who dabbles in voodoo.

Opening with an intriguing series of murders followed by one of the best Bond themes, we get off to a great start. The rest isn't quite up there with Goldfinger and Thunderball and there are some truly awful bits: the dialogue between black characters (clearly written by white men), Mr Big's mask (did anyone EVER not know who it really was?), Bond's "seduction" of Gloria Hendry.

But there are good bits too:
the speedboat jump, the alligator jumps, the train fight (complete with throwbacks to From Russia with Love), the exploding bullets.

So a good, if not spectacular, start for Mr Moore. But that theme tune...

The Man with the Golden Gun
Roger Moore is back and this time it's personal. Kind of.

A slightly different approach to the previous Bonds, this was one I had never seen before. After the first five minutes I turned to the family and said "What the actual fudge is happening? Why is there a Madame Toussauds in his house?" I was not hopeful...

But I have to say, it wasn't half bad. Not a classic, but certainly enjoyable. I liked the more realistic (within the Bond universe anyway) approach: car chases end in crashes and fender-benders, not explosions; there are conversations and stakeouts rather than regular action beats. Yes, there are still silly bits - the carplane is ridiculous and that opening was nonsense - but they can be overlooked. Except maybe why Scaramanga has a waxwork of Bond given what we later find out about who sent the engraved bullet.

The mix of good and bad can perhaps be best summed up by a certain cameo: a brilliant throwaway gag that is then extended until annoying and then repeated again.

Other things worth mentioning: the car jump, (sexism alert) Britt Ekland's bikini, the absolutely stunning design of the Queen Elizabeth. One major disappointment was the lack of the James Bond theme at the expense of an instrumental version of Lulu's song.

You know I have a soft spot for all the Moore Bond flicks.

Especially Moonraker, so ridiculously bad it's completely watchable. The Jaws love story perhaps one of the greatest ever committed to celluloid.

The Man with The Golden Gun as well is a guilty pleasure. I've always loved Christopher Lee, and whilst being a terrible villain he did bring some class to that film.

The great escape criterion edition tunnelled its way across the Atlantic and arrived today. Thankfully it came up at my door and wasn't 20 feet short

PQ is a massive upgrade, as one would expect, over the original bluray release. It's better in every way.
Incidentally, gaslight with IB and CB arrived from the USA and its region free. It plays without probs on my region b player.
There's a Spanish import in Amazon but I'd avoid this is its a pirate version that comes on a bdr. Spend a bit extra and import the official version. I'll be watching Gaslight after I've finished the great escape

Last edited:
You know I have a soft spot for all the Moore Bond flicks.

Especially Moonraker, so ridiculously bad it's completely watchable. The Jaws love story perhaps one of the greatest ever committed to celluloid.

The Man with The Golden Gun as well is a guilty pleasure. I've always loved Christopher Lee, and whilst being a terrible villain he did bring some class to that film.
I do definitely. Up until For Your Eyes Only. I refuse to buy the ones after that because I have seen them too many times in the past and they are just too silly!

I do definitely. Up until For Your Eyes Only. I refuse to buy the ones after that because I have seen them too many times in the past and they are just too silly!

Nah, geriatric Bond in A View to a Kill getting jiggy with Tanya Roberts and Grace Jones. Not to mention Chris “Ah viiiieeewwww to ah kill” Walken as a Bond baddie. :)

The Spy Who Loved Me
A bit of a greatest hits this one: skiiing, underwater action, fist fight in a train cabin, feeding subordinates to a shark, vehicles swallowed up by larger vehicles, a giant lair inside something innocuous.

Unfortunately, none of the hits are as good in this version as the films in which they first appeared, more like well produced but underwhelming cover versions.

Ken Adams' design is once again the true star of the show, even if the lair is very Blofeld-esque. There are genuinely funny moments such as the car chase and the double entendres but Moore's kicking is starting to grate. We get it, Connery couldn't do it. But let's be honest, Rog is no Jean Claude Van Damme.

Everything is a little bit and miss.
Casting: Bach is dreadful, Kiel is great but overused, Stromberg is one of the worst Bond villians ever.
Character: Agent XXX is the best spy in all of Russia but she struggles to pick up a box from the ground and can't drive, and Jaws is basically the Terminator.
Music: sublime theme tune but some parts are just bizarre - the ski chase, the final refrain with the sailor choir.

Look, it was Bond so it will never be completely terrible but this one was just a bit meh. Myself, herself and son #2 lost interest long before the end (125 minutes is just too damn long) but son #1 thoroughly enjoyed it. Which means that despite my misgivings, it was an afternoon well spent.

Last edited:
The Spy Who Loved Me
A bit of a greatest hits this one: skiiing, underwater action, fist fight in a train cabin, feeding subordinates to a shark, vehicles swallowed up by larger vehicles, a giant lair inside something innocuous.

Unfortunately, none of the hits are as good in this version as the films in which they first appeared, more like well produced but underwhelming cover versions.

Ken Adams' design is once again the true star of the show, even if the lair is very Blofeld-esque. There are genuinely funny moments such as the car chase and the double entendres but Moore's kicking is starting to grate. We get it, Connery couldn't do it. But let's be honest, Rog is no Jean Claude Van Damme.

Everything is a little bit and miss. Casting: Bach is dreadful, Kiel is great but overused, Stromberg is one of the worst Bond villians ever.
Character: Agent XXX is the best spy in all of Russia but she struggles to pick up a box from the ground and can't drive, and Jaws is basically the Terminator.
Music: sublime theme tune but some parts are just bizarre - the ski chase, the final refrain with the sailor choir.

Look, it was Bond so it will never be completely terrible but this one was just a bit meh. Myself, herself and son #2 lost interest long before the end (125 minutes is just too damn long) but son #1 thoroughly enjoyed it. Which means that despite my misgivings, it was an afternoon well spent.

I think The Spy Who Loved Me was the first Bond I ever saw - a relative had taped it off the telly. :D Not watched it since the late 90s to early 2000s mind.

Barbara Bach. :love:

The Spy Who Loved Me

Everything is a little bit and miss.
Casting: Bach is dreadful, Kiel is great but overused, Stromberg is one of the worst Bond villians ever.

Loved it when I was young like most of Moore’s films. This had the best theme tune and of course Bach was just delicious. But as I’ve aged I’ve not fet the same about RMoores James Bond
I think I’ll revisit this one

I loved all the Moore films growing up as a kid (never liked the Connery Bonds) and still feel the same now. Not seen a Connery Bond in ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom