What I Watched Last Night In HD/UHD etc (Review).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett

Reaction score
Please if posting what you watched in HD please do not repeat what you have or intend to post in What Film I Watched, as with the forum rule please chose a forum and don't double post.
A lot of post have been posted in both forums verbatim most members read both forums so there's no need to double post.

Thank you;)

Deadpool - Blu-Ray projected. Hugely enjoyable 4th-wall breaking comic spoof/straight superhero romp from Fox/Marvel. Renolds and Baccarin are both perfect, as are the rest of the cast. And kudos to Tim Miller for starting his directing career off with such a belter. Probably my most enjoyed film of the year so far. Roll on Deadpool 2 ASAP please.

No 'What I'm watching tonight' (looking at the new thread title) ?

The Hateful Eight

Move a little strange, you're gonna get a bullet. Not a warning, not a question...

It was with some trepidation that I rented this one - yes that's rented not bought. I just wasn't impressed with Tarantino's last two films (Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained) despite many here loving them it seems. Both films started really well for me and then let me down as they went on. I am a Tarantino fan I hasten to add - I love Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction (still his best), Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 1&2 and even Death Proof to a point.

So I was a little worried about this. I knew Samuel Jackson would be doing his usual thing. The whole thing sounded like a Leone Western in the snow. Morricone on the soundtrack got me more interested..... and I loved it! Its a long old film but that running time just flew by for me. Kurt Russell is just superb here and its his presence that helps draw you in to this one. However, Samuel Jackson manages to restrain himself somewhat and he's all the better for it too. And then there's Michael Madsen (great to see him back), Tim Roth (likewise), Jennifer Jason Leigh (not an easy role this by any means!), Bruce Dern (just perfect here) and the others are very good too. I also really liked Walton Goggins - I know nothing about this actor to be honest but he reminded me of a young (1970s) Jack Nicholson at times for some reason - definitely not a bad thing. I wont mention the other big name here just in case people reading haven't seen it but he's certainly playing against type and I love that when it comes off.

Its not for the squeamish but that's par for the course with Tarantino. I think younger viewers may be shocked at use of a certain word repeatedly throughout the film for instance! I cant believe he has got away with it in this day and age but I also think that this was probably close to the reality of that time period too. Its good to see that there are big directors who still take risks. Needless to say, everything just looks and feels as real as you would imagine but Tarantino has always been one for detail. Oh and I love that ending. I can see how some people would think this film is 'slow' - well it wasn't slow for me. If you are expecting bags of action though you'd best steer clear of this one.

Influences? Well its clear that Tarantino took a leaf out of his own book - especially Reservoir Dogs. And that's certainly no bad thing. There are also little bits and pieces of Pulp and Jackie Brown too. The customary back and fore with the timelines is here in full effect but works superbly well. There's also a bit of a nod to The Thing (1982) with the snowy setting and...oddly enough...the music where Morricone dusted off some unused tracks from that film - not that that is very noticeable really. Speaking of music, I have had a bit of a problem with some of Tarantino's later efforts in this regard but its pretty good here - there was one track very early on which for me was completely out of place but luckily it doesn't last long. The rest is nice. More influences? Well Agatha Christie is certainly another one but I better stop there as I don't like putting up spoilers!

PQ was very good but not top notch for me. It was shot in an ultra wide 70mm format apparently which is a bit odd when you consider that so much of the film is actually indoors - not outside. Black levels were a bit off on some interior shots but nothing really noticeable. Colour and detail were great but perhaps not the very best I've seen. No problems here though. AQ was terrific and I jumped once or twice I think! All that dialogue is clear as a bell and the surrounds are good too.

Summary? For me this is a real return to form for Tarantino. He has toned down the more outlandish parts of his last two films and this just feels more like his earlier films for me - which is definitely a good thing. I bought this film within minutes of finishing it and that says it all. Well done Quentin!

Film 9/10
PQ 9/10
AQ 9.5/10

Overboard (Fox, region A/B/C - UK disc)

Some things in life are forever.......dogs (not just for Xmas kids), taxes and Kurt and Goldie. Yes, its another bullet-proof 80s classic that in essence is Josef Fritzl: the romantic comedy version. Hawn is the rich bitch who falls overboard, loses her memory and our Kurt, as the redneck carpenter she's horribly rude to, decides to teach her a lesson by convincing her she's his wife.......and of course hi-jinx ensue.

Its all about Kurt and Goldie - individually, they're awesome (Private Benjamin and Snake? Could they be anything but), but together.....man, they're, er, awesomerer. Its got that lightning in a bottle, high concept fluff that powered most of the great 80s flicks, be they action, horror, sci-fi or, yes, even the romantic comedy. But its that chemistry that these two have that make this just so damn watchable. Its sweet, its saccharine, its glorious, it gives you that warm feeling in yer tum when you watch....there's really nothing more to say.

There's the worlds worst mini golf course, there's the most Hicksville bar this side of Roadhouse and there's synths ahoy on the soundtrack. But frankly, I love it to pieces. For all fans of 80s anything.

The transfer isn't bad at all - a hazily soft picture that occasionally gives glimpses of fine detail, but actually looks authentically 80s. And the lossless 2.0 soundtrack has some nice matrixed surround action and even some low end, to go with the fact that its crystal clean - all in one of the better 80s transfers I've seen where the film hasn't undergone a serious restoration. Only extra is a trailer which sucks, but hey - I have 100 mins of Kurt and Goldie. I don't need much else! :love:

Summary - love it. About as high concept as you can get, and if you think too hard about it, its all a little bit...wrong. But goddamn, its powered by the greatest showbiz couple in the history of show business. All kinds of win.

Last edited:
Overboard (Fox, region A/B/C - UK disc)

Some things in life are forever.......dogs (not just for Xmas kids), taxes and Kurt and Goldie. Yes, its another bullet-proof 80s classic that in essence is Josef Fritzl: the romantic comedy version. Hawn is the rich bitch who falls overboard, loses her memory and our Kurt decides to teach her a lesson by convincing her she's his wife.......and of course hi-jinx ensue.

Its all about Kurt and Goldie - individually, they're awesome (Private Benjamin and Snake? Could they be anything but), but together.....man, they're, er, awesomerer. Its that high concept fluff that powered most of the great 80s flicks, be they action, horror, sci-fi or, yes, even the romantic comedy. But its that chemistry that these two have that make this just so damn watchable. Its sweet, its saccharine, its glorious, it gives you that warm feeling in yer tum when you watch....there's really nothing more to say.

There's the worlds worst mini golf course, there's the most Hicksville bar this side of Roadhouse and there's synths ahoy on the soundtrack. But frankly, I love it to pieces. For all fans of 80s anything.

The transfer isn't bad at all - a hazily soft picture that occasionally gives glimpses of fine detail, but actually looks authentically 80s. And the lossless 2.0 soundtrack has some nice matrixed surround action and even some low end, to go with the fact that its crystal clean - all in one of the better 80s transfers I've seen where the film hasn't undergone a serious restoration. Only extra is a trailer which sucks, but hey - I have 100 mins of Kurt and Goldie. I don't need much else! :love:

Summary - love it. About as high concept as you can get, and if you think too hard about it, its all a little bit...wrong. But goddamn, its powered by the greatest showbiz couple in the history of show business. All kinds of win.

Couldn't agree more. Absolutely loved Overboard when I was younger. Must've seen it about 7 or 8 times. Great film.

Death Walks at Midnight (Arrow Blu-Ray)

I love watching Giallo for the first time, ticking off the genre staples: Hot heroine investigating murder - check, copious amounts of J&B consumed - check, dim police - check, black gloved killer - check.

Luciano Ercoli's Death Walks at Midnight throws in enough curveballs to be fresh (for a movie made in 1972 :D) and exciting. Nieves Navarro (billed as Susan Scott) is stunning :love: as Valentina who witnesses a murder while on a drug trip for the morally ambiguous Gio. No one believes her even after she starts being stalked by the killer and other weirdos! Its almost like at action Giallo towards the finale with some neat, and unforeseen by me anyway, twists.

Movie looks suitably 70's with an excellent 2k scan and the mono track is nice and clear, jazzy! I watched the Italian track but there is the option of an English version.

Extras seem plentiful with a commentary track from Giallo expert Tim Lucas and extended TV version. I was all ready to watch Michael Mackenzie's visual essay, after enjoying his last one,but notice it has spoilers for Death Walks on High Heels which I haven't watched yet so it'll need to wait.

Excellent film with great presentation from Arrow, as usual. Can't wait to watch Death Walks on High Heels now.

Death Walks at Midnight (Arrow Blu-Ray)

I love watching Giallo for the first time, ticking off the genre staples: Hot heroine investigating murder - check, copious amounts of J&B consumed - check, dim police - check, black gloved killer - check.

Luciano Ercoli's Death Walks at Midnight throws in enough curveballs to be fresh (for a movie made in 1972 :D) and exciting. Nieves Navarro (billed as Susan Scott) is stunning :love: as Valentina who witnesses a murder while on a drug trip for the morally ambiguous Gio. No one believes her even after she starts being stalked by the killer and other weirdos! Its almost like at action Giallo towards the finale with some neat, and unforeseen by me anyway, twists.

Movie looks suitably 70's with an excellent 2k scan and the mono track is nice and clear, jazzy! I watched the Italian track but there is the option of an English version.

Extras seem plentiful with a commentary track from Giallo expert Tim Lucas and extended TV version. I was all ready to watch Michael Mackenzie's visual essay, after enjoying his last one,but notice it has spoilers for Death Walks on High Heels which I haven't watched yet so it'll need to wait.

Excellent film with great presentation from Arrow, as usual. Can't wait to watch Death Walks on High Heels now.

Nice write up chief - inspired my next watch: either Four Flies on Grey Velvet or The Bloodstained Butterfly. Giallo FTW!!! [emoji41][emoji106][emoji7]

Nice write up chief - inspired my next watch: either Four Flies on Grey Velvet or The Bloodstained Butterfly. Giallo FTW!!! [emoji41][emoji106][emoji7]
I have a confession that may get me thrown out the AVF Giallo appreciation chapter. I have tried numerous times and cannot get on with Four Flies, Michael Brandon's character annoys me no end and he's also crap without Glynis Barber at his side :laugh:. On the positive, Bud Spencer is in it.

Based on my prejudices I'd recommend Bloodstained Butterfly which I haven't seen, that will be remedied soon though.

I have a confession that may get me thrown out the AVF Giallo appreciation chapter. I have tried numerous times and cannot get on with Four Flies, Michael Brandon's character annoys me no end and he's also crap without Glynis Barber at his side :laugh:. On the positive, Bud Spencer is in it.

Based on my prejudices I'd recommend Bloodstained Butterfly which I haven't seen, that will be remedied soon though.
There's a chapter???? I want in. How much are subs? And do we have our own song? Summat by Goblin no doubt.......

:cool:

A Better Tomorrow
Most will no this John Woo movie,but for those who dont,two brothers one on the right side of the law the other not,when a deal goes wrong the two begin to clash,after the brother is release from prison.
As with a lot of theses movies,the gunfight are well over the top,in step Chow Yun Fat with guns blazing as an friend of the wrong side of the law brother,just sit back and watch the gun battle go down.

The blu ray,is the new released 4K remaster of the movie,the movie has not had an good history on blu ray so far.
The problem being most of theses movies, they were done on an budget,and the master tapes were not very well looked after the cinema release.
So how this new 4K remaster,to be fair they have tried,and it does look better in places,but still has its problems,i:e print damage,some scene very soft,and still some mutsy grain :(.
I think this is going to be the best we will see this movie,but maybe not quite what the package say Ultra 4K remaster,some may still be disappointed.
Soundtrack wise still the same DTS 7.1 master,and the extras still have no subs,and its locked to region A.
Worth the upgrade over the old blu or dvd ? Just :)

The Bloodstained Butterfly (Arrow, region B - UK disc)

Stop.......Giallo time! Yes, more pulp Italian horror/thriller, this one more akin to the likes of Solange than Bava/Argento/Fulci: its not about the kills (there's only 3 and all occur off screen), it's about the piecing together of the whodunnit. And this bad boy/girl of a flick has got one hell of a plot!!! I won't ruin it but let's say it's so damn tricksy, I only really grasped it all after watching one of the extras!!! To say there's a murder of a young lady and an investigation which leads to serval other murders does this no justice whatsoever, but in essence there you have it.

It's structure is really rather cool - there's loads of flashbacks/flash forwards/cross cuts between characters that give this a really sophisticated feel. There's no easy shots either - it's all show rather than tell, often using wordless montages to get inside the characters heads rather than dialogue explaining how they're feeling.

The actors are all having a blast - no instantly recognisable faces, but loads of great characters, lovely ladies, cops who aren't just bumbling fools (apart from the hilariously naff running gag about the rubbish coffee they drink constantly in the police station......o_O) and mostly sympathetic antagonists (once you've sussed out who they are!). All in all, it's a belting watch - all you Giallo chaps out there are in for a treat with this one.

The disc is another good 'un - a decent transfer (dark, chewy, grainy, but nicely detailed and appropriately soft looking, clean lossless mono track, where the English dub is a not bad match for the actors mouth movements.....for a change!) is backed up with a decent set of extras: another cool 25 min 'visual essay' explain in a lot about the film and the film makers that's well worth a watch (and nicely sums up that tricksy ending that kinda befuddled me.....:confused:), a 55 min career look back at one of the actresses careers (not essential but a nice watch) and some other fluff (commentary, trailers, etc).

Summary - more police procedural than straight giallo, it's a brilliantly tricksy whodunnit with a coolly sophisticated structure one QT would be proud of. A cracking disc as well and frankly, I'm in now - any Giallo Arrow release I'm going to pick up as I've enjoyed every single one of them. More please Arrow!!!!

Last edited:
The Bloodstained Butterfly (Arrow, region B - UK disc)

Stop.......Giallo time! Yes, more pulp Italian horror/thriller, this one more akin to the likes of Solange than Bava/Argento/Fulci: its not about the kills (there's only 3 and all occur off screen), it's about the piecing together of the whodunnit. And this bad boy/girl of a flick has got one hell of a plot!!! I won't ruin it but let's say it's so damn tricksy, I only really grasped it all after watching one of the extras!!! To say there's a murder of a young lady and an investigation which leads to serval other murders does this no justice whatsoever, but in essence there you have it.

It's structure is really rather cool - there's loads of flashbacks/flash forwards/cross cuts between characters that give this a really sophisticated feel. There's no easy shots either - it's all show rather than tell, often using wordless montages to get inside the characters heads rather than dialogue explaining how they're feeling.

The actors are all having a blast - no instantly recognisable faces, but loads of great characters, lovely ladies, cops who aren't just bumbling fools (apart from the hilariously naff running gag about the rubbish coffee they drink constantly in the police station......o_O) and mostly sympathetic antagonists (once you've sussed out who they are!). All in all, it's a belting watch - all you Giallo chaps out there are in for a treat with this one.

The disc is another good 'un - a decent transfer (dark, chewy, grainy, but nicely detailed and appropriately soft looking, clean lossless mono track, where the English dub is a not bad match for the actors mouth movements.....for a change!) is backed up with a decent set of extras: another cool 25 min 'visual essay' explain in a lot about the film and the film makers that's well worth a watch (and nicely sums up that tricksy ending that kinda befuddled me.....:confused:), a 55 min career look back at one of the actresses careers (not essential but a nice watch) and some other fluff (commentary, trailers, etc).

Summary - more police procedural than straight giallo, it's a brilliantly tricksy whodunnit with a coolly sophisticated structure one QT would be proud of. A cracking disc as well and frankly, I'm in now - any Giallo Arrow release I'm going to pick up as frankly I've enjoyed every single one of them. More please Arrow!!!!
Great review as always :thumbsup:

Would really like Arrow to get All the Colors of the Dark and Lizard in a Woman's Skin.

atonement.jpg

Atonement

This is my second viewing on Blu since I bought the disc a few years back. I was interested in how it would play when I knew the plot, did the letter still have the shock value and were the ramifications as profound as the first time viewing?

Well, yes and no. The first act was a master-class in sexual tension, Keira Knightley was better than she has ever been and showed that in the hands of a really good director how good an actor she can be. She shimmered and pouted and preened, coming out of the fountain like Ursula Andress in Dr No, yet demure at the same time.

Saoirse Ronan showed the potential that she has since fulfilled and stole every scene.

James McEvoy was a great foil and again because he was well directed showed vulnerability and nuance.

And then there was act two...

Not great. France was just a bit tedious, expositional and one dimensional. I wanted to know more..how did they get separated, had they killed, how did the trauma of war impact on what they had escaped in Blighty. I wanted to learn about his experiences in prison, but no, not a jot. Even the famous steadicam shot felt a bit contrived this time around.

I liked how they played with time and the period was really well captured, the production designer did a great job.

Act three redeemed the film. The denouement and twists were enhanced by the contemporary nature of the final act, Vanessa Redgrave brought gravitas and a sense of desperation to the role - perfect casting!

Overall the film was pretty good. The difficult second act didn't quite work but gave me enough to drive onto the third which was really compelling.

Seamus McGarvey's lighting and cinematography was exemplary, his use of pro-mists gave an ethereal look, in fact it was quite brilliant, as was the sound and production design.

The blu ray shimmered like KK emerging from the fountain! Picture quality was lovely and the sound design was dynamic for a dialogue based film.

Overall highly recommended.

Paul

View attachment 754553
Atonement

This is my second viewing on Blu since I bought the disc a few years back. I was interested in how it would play when I knew the plot, did the letter still have the shock value and were the ramifications as profound as the first time viewing?

Well, yes and no. The first act was a master-class in sexual tension, Keira Knightley was better than she has ever been and showed that in the hands of a really good director how good an actor she can be. She shimmered and pouted and preened, coming out of the fountain like Ursula Andress in Dr No, yet demure at the same time.

Saoirse Ronan showed the potential that she has since fulfilled and stole every scene.

James McEvoy was a great foil and again because he was well directed showed vulnerability and nuance.

And then there was act two...

Not great. France was just a bit tedious, expositional and one dimensional. I wanted to know more..how did they get separated, had they killed, how did the trauma of war impact on what they had escaped in Blighty. I wanted to learn about his experiences in prison, but no, not a jot. Even the famous steadicam shot felt a bit contrived this time around.

I liked how they played with time and the period was really well captured, the production designer did a great job.

Act three redeemed the film. The denouement and twists were enhanced by the contemporary nature of the final act, Vanessa Redgrave brought gravitas and a sense of desperation to the role - perfect casting!

Overall the film was pretty good. The difficult second act didn't quite work but gave me enough to drive onto the third which was really compelling.

Seamus McGarvey's lighting and cinematography was exemplary, his use of pro-mists gave an ethereal look, in fact it was quite brilliant, as was the sound and production design.

The blu ray shimmered like KK emerging from the fountain! Picture quality was lovely and the sound design was dynamic for a dialogue based film.

Overall highly recommended.

Paul
Great review Paul. Strangely I was just thinking of this after watching Joe Wright's Pan last night.

Last night i re-watched the Coen Bros excellent gangster tale Millers Crossing not seen it for a while but with the recent announcement of Jon Polito’s death i knew this would be the most fitting of his filmography to watch,such a brilliant tale so lovingly crafted with it’s wonderful dialogue fantastic camerawork and pitch perfect performance’s coming from Albert Finney and Jon Polito who really bring these characters to life,one of the Coen’s earliest but for me still plays out as one of their best.

One thing I always try to teach my boys: always put one in the brain!

Last edited:
Yakuza Apocalypse (Manga, region B - UK disc)

Oooooo, so close. We very nearly got a Takashi Miike film that managed to reign its weirdness in to enable a somewhat 'normal' film to be told. Nearly.......

The first 45 mins are about as traditional as you can get - a cool set up of an old, beloved and very benevolent Yakuza boss takes a younger protege under his wing. There's hints of something amiss - the old guy is shown to be indestructible, and his fave bar has a rather odd knitting club (yes - knitting) in its basement that is used for.......something unsavoury. Then, as a strange double act of a clergyman decked out like one of the three bad dudes from Big Trouble in Little China and the hard ass from The Raid, dressed as an uber nerd, show up and take out the boss, strange (ok.....stranger!) things start to happen.

So, no spoilers, but turns out the old dude was a vampire (its in the trailers and all the marketing blurb!) who turns his protégé into a similar undead dude with his final breath/bite. And THEN all hell breaks loose. Turns out, its a very specific type of vampirism - Yakuza vampires, meaning everyone bitten also turns into a yakuza as well as a vamp. Cue scenes of rib tickling amusement as hard-ass yakuzas are taken down by school teachers, et al. So its starting to get a bit weird just past the hour mark.........and as we enter the final 30 mins, all bets are off. We get dudes in footy mascot costumes kicking all manner of crap out of everyone, we get the world under threat from a giant frog, we get a blinged out disco truck that packs some serious weaponry.....its basically Miike at his most gonzo.

Its mostly restrained in that its only the plot that goes fruit loops and its very watchable, as long as you don't expect it all to tie up nice and simply. Its a shame that the final shot shows what could have been (think more trad vampire monsteryness) and if we had more of that monstery goodness instead of the usual Miike randonmness, we maybe would have got a better film. But what the hell, then I suppose it wouldn't be a Miike film would it?????? Its a good old watch but be warned, it does descend into utter lunacy at the end. And I do mean utter lunacy......

The transfer is good, but in one aspect its utterly outstanding. I don't think I can remember a disc with as much LFE as this one - from the off, every sword swish had my two subs (aaaah, feels so good to write that!!!) punishing the air. And it continued from start to finish - LFE that I've never heard before, it was nuts. Nowhere near realistic at all, but engineered to give all us bass heads a slap round the chops. Nuts. The rest of the Japanese lossless 5.1 track was not bad - usual Manga stuff. Clear dialogue, thrash metal guitars ramped up to 11 and very little surround action. Picture quality was quite good too - the obvious digital image showing bags of detail, with nice popping colours where needed, but just looking a little too processed. No extras bar a trailer....which I recommend you watch if you're interested as it gives a great flavour to the film.

Summary - its Takashi Miike. Restrained at the start but gradually turning into full on Miike by the end. A cool concept that could have been better given the final shot promising something different to what we got, its still well worth a watch for fans of gonzo Japanese cinema. LFE nuts should get it too - my trousers haven't stopped flapping since the end credits rolled.......:eek:

Last edited:
The Godfather (Coppola Restoration)

Having purchased this remastered set earlier in the week, I was keen to get down to business over the weekend, Hoping to watch 2 of them over Sat/Sun night.

Sat down to this last night and was pretty disappointed at just the menu screen, Seriously poor PQ!

However some parts of the film are decent for the age, I guess the original print must have been a mess! Now onto the film.

Billed as the greatest film of all time, And having only seen parts of this as a kid (I am mid 30's), I had high hopes. Unfortunately I have been left feeling that I should maybe not bother with the other 2 films now as I really could not care what happens to the characters! My other choice was the extended girl with the dragon tattoo set (not seen the extended versions) and I wish I had gone with those....

Am I missing something? I like plenty of older films of all genres, And while the acting was ok, It did not live up to the hype for me. Pacino and Duvall did impress me however. The film also seemed to lack decent pace and flit about far too much.

I am sure I have painted a target on my back now but this film just did not do it for me.

Am I alone.... :suicide::oops:

Having purchased this remastered set earlier in the week, I was keen to get down to business over the weekend, Hoping to watch 2 of them over Sat/Sun night.

Sat down to this last night and was pretty disappointed at just the menu screen, Seriously poor PQ!

However some parts of the film are decent for the age, I guess the original print must have been a mess! Now onto the film.

Billed as the greatest film of all time, And having only seen parts of this as a kid (I am mid 30's), I had high hopes. Unfortunately I have been left feeling that I should maybe not bother with the other 2 films now as I really could not care what happens to the characters! My other choice was the extended girl with the dragon tattoo set (not seen the extended versions) and I wish I had gone with those....

Am I missing something? I like plenty of older films of all genres, And while the acting was ok, It did not live up to the hype for me. Pacino and Duvall did impress me however. The film also seemed to lack decent pace and flit about far too much.

I am sure I have painted a target on my back now but this film just did not do it for me.

Yes.

[emoji51]

Just joshing squire! I love The Godfather Trilogy and for me it gets better with age as I see more and more pale imitations completely fail to get that same mix of character and story that Coppola got.

Yes.

[emoji51]

Just joshing squire! I love The Godfather Trilogy and for me it gets better with age as I see more and more pale imitations completely fail to get that same mix of character and story that Coppola got.

Perhaps I was just expecting something different, I had visions of a toned down Scarface/Goodfellas ect.

Oh dear! Yeah you might be alone!

Oh dear! Yeah you might be alone!

I am expecting it to be honest, It's not that I thought it was a bad film, Just seemed like they stretched it out an hour too long imo.

Absolute classic movie. The second one is even better IMO but if you don't like the first one then i don't think you will like the second one either

Yakuza Apocalypse (Manga, region B - UK disc)

Oooooo, so close. We very nearly got a Takashi Miike film that managed to reign its weirdness in to enable a somewhat 'normal' film to be told. Nearly.......
Actually I'd say Yakuza Apocalypse is more of a return to not necessarily form, but style of his earlier films. I'd started to think Miike had hung up his off the wall bonkers style after his recent stint into a more normal or classic style with the likes of 13 Assassins and his remake of Hara-Kiri (both very good films).

I enjoyed Yakuza Apocalypse, not up there with his earlier work, but enjoyable Miike madness, and yes bass all over the place.

I'd really like blu releases of his Dead or Alive films and a decent transfer of Ichi the Killer wouldn't go amiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom