What is the difference between a QLED and OLED TV? Find out!

I have been reluctant to shift away from my 8 year old Panasonic Plasma and it has taken for the OLEDs to come down in price for me to bite.

Unfortunately my 55E6 has been sat in a box for the last month in my dining room due to my lounge getting completely re-done. Another 3-5 weeks and I might finally get to watch it.

Maybe you are right.Saying that though,I am still yet, to own any television that has a flawless picture with live football.The 60 inch LG Plasma i owned was a decent picture,excpect for DSE during football.I still have a 42 inch Panasonic Viera plasma in my bedroom that has a better picture than a lot of these modern TVs.

Sadly when it comes to sport in general bigger screens, with sharper/sharpened images and higher brightness and contrasts are going to show off the bad broadcasts more. I guarantee if you dim your Sony to the levels of your LG and drop the sharpness similarly the qualities for sport will be similar.

I personally have created one Picture setting for low quality sport broadcasts (mainly BBC, ITV When its not England playing), one for HD everything, and one for gaming

Just more marketing nonsense from Samsung as usual.

I know loads of people know who wont touch them anymore due to their dishonesty on Evolution kits and now saying SUHD werent marketed as HDR so they dont have to update the netflix app on 2015 TVs for HDR, add to that using cheap caps in the older TVs and they knew it was an issue and wouldnt replace them and they are getting a bit of a name.

Will be interesting to see if their KS range get HLG or if they claim some sort of hardware issue.

2000 edgelit nits as well.......

Samsung are updating the 2015 displays with the HDR Netflix app I believe and it's rolling out in the US already.

I wont be buying an OLED this year. In fact I won’t be buying anything unless there is a vast improvent in picture quality over what I already have. We didn't have all problems we have today with the old CRT televisions. You could argue some of the pictures on those TVs were much better than what are out there now.

I don't know what you currently have (why not put your system in your sig?) but speaking as someone who had a professional plasma display for 10 years I was never happy with LCD PQ.

OLED ticks all the boxes and although it's a lot of money my Loewe Bild 7.55 has fantastic picture quality with sport, films and everything else. It even upscales standard DVD making that format still watchable.

I don't know what you currently have (why not put your system in your sig?) but speaking as someone who had a professional plasma display for 10 years I was never happy with LCD PQ.

OLED ticks all the boxes and although it's a lot of money my Loewe Bild 7.55 has fantastic picture quality with sport, films and everything else. It even upscales standard DVD making that format still watchable.

Yup I was the same , 10 yr plasma owner ( 3 different Panny displays ) and was a big shock to the system getting a 2015 JS9000. Although the black levels cannot be reached it does however produce ( once calibrated ) a superior picture compared to my plasmas which suprised me. There again it does produce a much WCG .

OLED now with better yields and ( for me ) more compitent picture processing compared to what LG can deliver makes 2017 a great year going foward for OLED.

Every single television sold to public in 2016 was unfit for purpose in one capacity, or another. If you were a gamer you had to avoid OLED and bricking it with screen burn. All the LED Televisions had different problems.

I thought Samsung KS series had the best overall picture, yet fast moving football for me,really was unwatchable, the haloing in the corners was shocking. I so regretted getting rid of my 60 inch LG Plasma prematurely. I know there were decent panels out there,i saw them, there were many duds also. Getting hold of a good one really was a lottery.

After returning the Samsung 65KS8000 I ended up buying a 65inch Sony. I am still not happy. It is just the best of a bad bunch of televisions on the market. Football is watchable, there is no haloing. The picture though is not as vibrant as Samsung KS series, you cant win, seems always there is a price to pay.

The best picture technology by far is OLED,I think we would all agree on that.The technology right now though is in it embryonic infancy. Plagued by many of the problems Plasma Tv had. Pointless buying one, unless you avoid Logo rich channels and static images you get with gaming. The manufacturers say screen burn doesn't exist. I saw it with my own eyes on a £4,000 LG OLED Panel bricked in Currys, screen burn dead centre of the panel (wifi status bar).Reduced by £1,000 in price.

I wont be buying an OLED this year. In fact I won’t be buying anything unless there is a vast improvent in picture quality over what I already have. We didn't have all problems we have today with the old CRT televisions. You could argue some of the pictures on those TVs were much better than what are out there now.

I am glad manufactures are going to start concentrating more on making existing technology fit for purpose. Create a picture to die for. Samsung should concentrate more on their Quality control. Never in all my life have I ever seen a television like the KS series, that can be so different in quality from one person to another. They go from beautiful and flawless to shockingly bad, it really is bizarre how this happens.
Screen burn isn't really an issue. On this forum I have seen about a handful of cases discussed, none of them relating to my model, the E6. Lots of logo rich TV for me, football mostly, bit of FIFA too. The reason shop floor models have burn in is because the stores do not switch them off correctly.

Putting an OLED into standby starts a short 7 minute panel cleaning process which helps prevent burn in. Shop floors tend to switch all TVs off at the mains (plug) meaning the compensation cycles never get run. Therefore, I would avoid buying ex-display.

There is this thing called the interweb or something where you can get info on a future purchase.

Lol, that's not much better than asking the salesmam in the store. The internet is full of shills pretending to be genuine consumers, reviews from bloggers bribed with free stuff, and owners that want you to buy what they have - pack mentality.

Lol, that's not much better than asking the salesmam in the store. The internet is full of shills pretending to be genuine consumers, reviews from bloggers bribed with free stuff, and owners that want you to buy what they have - pack mentality.

OK,

20d3802dc9eacc277ba406758b4e004e.jpg

So you cannot find a trusted site/source/ forum anywhere ? Why the hell you on here ! Maybe to moan an bitch about a certain manufacturer. All hail Alt facts it seems, the one thing that you are bemoaning , strange that you are fulfilling it ! We are not a fan boy hive mind here , just best PQ our £ can buy. Simples.

Last edited:
Blatant attempt by Samsung to confuse consumers - other manufacturers should sue !

I thin this post should be titled "Samsung QLED is just a fancy LCD TV" or even better "Samsung QLED TVs exposed" or "Samsung's marketing department goes an extra step to confuse general public and ads a line at the bottom to O in OLED"

I know the point of this article is to make general public more aware of what QLED is, but for us knowledgeable people it makes no sense...

I thin this post should be titled "Samsung QLED is just a fancy LCD TV" or even better "Samsung QLED TVs exposed" or "Samsung's marketing department goes an extra step to confuse general public and ads a line at the bottom to O in OLED"

I know the point of this article is to make general public more aware of what QLED is, but for us knowledgeable people it makes no sense...

It makes more sense than SUHD. The Q just refers to the fact these panels use Quantum Dot technology. Its MU range are all much more capable than the KU range - apart from the very bottom end of the range. These are not Quantum Dot panels though and would be referred to as LED TV's and its not just Samsung that refers to their 'similar' TV's. Last year we had OLED's and LED's - all the 'Q' means is that these have a 'Quantum dot' layer - at least to me.

You talk about the 'general' public as if they are stupid. Whilst a number may well not have the technical knowledge as the average person on a website like this, they are not necessarily that unknowledgeable or haven't done some research before spending £2k+ on a TV.

Like I said, its not like they aren't used to LED being used to describe a backlit TV. So putting a 'Q' in front isn't necessarily going to confuse. People are more likely to be confused by the 'benefits' of a Quantum Dot layer over the standard LED's that also offer HDR and will no doubt be cheaper. Even with the 2016 series, the only difference for most people were the fact that the Quantum Dot (KS range) offered HDR10 specs, where as the standard LED's didn't.

If people are that silly to spend over £2k on a TV without researching it, without looking at reviews, without knowing even the basics of the two types or knowing about 'brands' and their naming, then that's more a reflection of them.

It makes more sense than SUHD. The Q just refers to the fact these panels use Quantum Dot technology. ...
What is your point mate?

It makes more sense than SUHD. The Q just refers to the fact these panels use Quantum Dot technology. Its MU range are all much more capable than the KU range - apart from the very bottom end of the range. These are not Quantum Dot panels though and would be referred to as LED TV's and its not just Samsung that refers to their 'similar' TV's. Last year we had OLED's and LED's - all the 'Q' means is that these have a 'Quantum dot' layer - at least to me.

You talk about the 'general' public as if they are stupid. Whilst a number may well not have the technical knowledge as the average person on a website like this, they are not necessarily that unknowledgeable or haven't done some research before spending £2k+ on a TV.

Like I said, its not like they aren't used to LED being used to describe a backlit TV. So putting a 'Q' in front isn't necessarily going to confuse. People are more likely to be confused by the 'benefits' of a Quantum Dot layer over the standard LED's that also offer HDR and will no doubt be cheaper. Even with the 2016 series, the only difference for most people were the fact that the Quantum Dot (KS range) offered HDR10 specs, where as the standard LED's didn't.

If people are that silly to spend over £2k on a TV without researching it, without looking at reviews, without knowing even the basics of the two types or knowing about 'brands' and their naming, then that's more a reflection of them.

You over estimate the general public.
Their research is the marketing in the shop.

Your defence of Samsung is misguided IMO

Then why didn’t Samsung call their “KS” range of Quantum Dot Television “QLED”, if it’s all about the Quantum Dot.

I read a lot of your stuff; I find it mostly very good and educational.

However I have to disagree with your assessment. The naming of their new range of Televisions as “QLED” was designed to confuse less knowledgeable buyer in the market in to thinking they have bought a new technology.

The experts on here who know their stuff are also taking exception; they believe this new model of Television is not true “QLED”. That Samsung has deliberately hijacked the name for marketing purposes, misleading potential buyers. I also agree.

They should be call KS Series 2.0

Save the term “QLED” for a true “QLED” TV.

If I had copyrighted "OLED" I would be quite miffed if someone used QLED. Clearly a ploy to kid customers. Q and O are different by a squiggle.

QDLED would be more accurate even if not very catchy! :laugh:

For those that said that self emitting QLEDs are never going to happen...

Jeff Yurek, director of marketing and investor relations for Nanosys Technology, said Nanosys is at work on several advances in quantum dot technology at the same time. Nanosys is developing and implementing three different advances in quantum dot technology, which will each be available in the market offering different levels of performance.

The first is the system implemented in the QLEDs currently
NanosysQDEFdisplays.jpg

The 2nd is Photo-Emissive quantum dot technology which will move beyond the quantum dot-coated film layer used in current implementations and will be used like color filters today. This is expected to be coming in the next 3-5 years, Yurek said, “but we could see the first Photo Emissive QD products start shipping as early as next year.”

Nanosysphotemissive.jpg

“We call this Photo Emissive Quantum Dot because these displays will be emissive in that you are looking directly at the emitter layer (just like an OLED). We call it photo because, unlike other emissive displays, the pixels are being pumped photopically instead of electrically,

3rd Nanosys is also moving rapidly toward market introduction of its Hyperion quantum dot technology, which Yurek said he expects to start showing up in devices later in the year or two.

Hyperion is a solution that will help quantum dot displays achieve a large percentage of the B.T. 2020 color space, with a solution that uses minimal amounts of toxic cadmium. That’s because the blue and the green primaries for B.T. 2020 are very close together, requiring a narrower green.

More in the future..
NanosysElectroluminescent.jpg

Nanosys continues to develop for more distant introduction Electro-Emissive Quantum dot technology as the future of direct emissive displays. The technology will will enable printed flexible displays using low-cost materials.

Samsung has a number of investments in the quantum dot field, not the least of which is its equity stake in Silicon Valley-based Nanosys Technology. Nanosys worked closely with Samsung engineers on developing the new Q Series sets

This is the timeline for Nanosys and as you can clearly see, they are working towards self emitting Quantum Dot technology!!

Source: https://hdguru.com/nanosys-new-quantum-dot-4k-ultra-hdtv-flavors-on-the-way/

This goes into more detail...

That's great and all and I hope it happens soon but Samsung are rubbing people like me the wrong way at the moment with this QLED marketing crap. They appear to have built a brand based on performance and rather than reinforcing it, they're just cashing in on it.

That's great and all and I hope it happens soon but Samsung are rubbing people like me the wrong way at the moment with this QLED marketing crap. They appear to have built a brand based on performance and rather than reinforcing it, they're just cashing in on it.

Personally, I don't really care about the naming of these. Samsung have a sizeable stake in Nanosys and are helping them with the Development of Quantum Dot technology. The layer does separate it from a 'standard' LED and the 'Q' makes some sense. Its in their interest to push Quantum Dot because of their stake and investment. I think its only confusing for the future iterations of Quantum Dot technologies - as the above shows, they are working on several different uses.

All companies try to come up with something that sounds impressive to sell, marketing speak. I am not necessarily defending Samsung for them using the term 'QLED' but I do think its wrong to call everyone who buys a TV an idiot. I can't see many idiots spending over £2k on a QLED when they could buy one of the budget 4k HDR TV's instead. No doubt the TV's will also hype up the Quantum Dot technology which will obviously indicate its not an OLED. I think most people would know that Samsung are not making OLED TV's.

For those that said that self emitting QLEDs are never going to happen...

Jeff Yurek, director of marketing and investor relations for Nanosys Technology, said Nanosys is at work on several advances in quantum dot technology at the same time. Nanosys is developing and implementing three different advances in quantum dot technology, which will each be available in the market offering different levels of performance.

The first is the system implemented in the QLEDs currently
NanosysQDEFdisplays.jpg

The 2nd is Photo-Emissive quantum dot technology which will move beyond the quantum dot-coated film layer used in current implementations and will be used like color filters today. This is expected to be coming in the next 3-5 years, Yurek said, “but we could see the first Photo Emissive QD products start shipping as early as next year.”

Nanosysphotemissive.jpg

“We call this Photo Emissive Quantum Dot because these displays will be emissive in that you are looking directly at the emitter layer (just like an OLED). We call it photo because, unlike other emissive displays, the pixels are being pumped photopically instead of electrically,

3rd Nanosys is also moving rapidly toward market introduction of its Hyperion quantum dot technology, which Yurek said he expects to start showing up in devices later in the year or two.

Hyperion is a solution that will help quantum dot displays achieve a large percentage of the B.T. 2020 color space, with a solution that uses minimal amounts of toxic cadmium. That’s because the blue and the green primaries for B.T. 2020 are very close together, requiring a narrower green.

More in the future..
NanosysElectroluminescent.jpg

Nanosys continues to develop for more distant introduction Electro-Emissive Quantum dot technology as the future of direct emissive displays. The technology will will enable printed flexible displays using low-cost materials.

Samsung has a number of investments in the quantum dot field, not the least of which is its equity stake in Silicon Valley-based Nanosys Technology. Nanosys worked closely with Samsung engineers on developing the new Q Series sets

This is the timeline for Nanosys and as you can clearly see, they are working towards self emitting Quantum Dot technology!!

Source: https://hdguru.com/nanosys-new-quantum-dot-4k-ultra-hdtv-flavors-on-the-way/

This goes into more detail...
After reading that.It might be worth waiting until next year to upgrade the Television.

I will still have a look at this years model when released. When it comes to Tvs,home theatre, Cars,i cant help myself. :)

After reading that.It might be worth waiting until next year to upgrade the Television.

I will still have a look at this years model when released. When it comes to Tvs,home theatre, Cars,i cant help myself. :)

There is always that decision with most technology. Upgrade today or wait until 'tomorrow' for the 'improved' version. When 'tomorrow' comes, the next improved version is just around the corner so you end up wondering whether its worth waiting or buy now. If you wait for the inevitable price drops, known issues from prolonged use, Firmware updates its often nearly time for the 'new' range to be announced so you think - Shall I buy or wait to see what they have in store for the next model...

When I bought my KS8000, I was deciding whether to wait for the improved versions as most HDR TV's seemed to have some issues and a bit of a panel lottery situation. In the end I decided it was worth upgrading now so that I get the benefits of HDR now - especially as the XB1s and then PS4 Pro were announced with HDR support. By the time some/all of these technologies are commercially available, maybe even OLEDs can be produced cheaper and/or match for brightness, I will be ready to upgrade and my KS8000 can replace my H6400 in the bedroom so I have 4k HDR in there.

Point I am making is that at some point, you just have to jump in and as soon as you do, something better is just round the corner...

What's the difference between QLED and OLED?
About 990:000 contrast ratio. Hurhurhurrr

Just had an email from Richer Sounds pre-order a Samsung QLED

The 65 inch QLED a "gob smacking" £3100 !!!! ,you can buy a SONY Z9 now for £2,500.

What do our resident experts think about the pricing ?

SAMSUNG QE65Q7F 65 inch 4K Ultra HD Premium Smart QLED TV Freeview HD Freesat HD

Wait about 2 months after release for the 'reductions' to start coming in. They always do.

one might even be cynical and suggest that many high end TVs RRP is set to include future discounts... :smoke:

The 65 inch QLED a "gob smacking" £3100 !!!! ,you can buy a SONY Z9 now for £2,500.

SAMSUNG QE65Q7F 65 inch 4K Ultra HD Premium Smart QLED TV Freeview HD Freesat HD

I don't believe the ZD9 has dipped quite that low just yet. Cheapest I've seen is £3k.

BTW the flagship Q9 65" is £4.7k. I believe the price you quoted is for the bottom of the range Q7. Mind boggling prices for an edge lit LCD. I honestly believe Samsung is setting the price high so as to give some prestige and exclusivity. Afterall things that cost a lot of money are high quality and lusted after right? Basically if you buy one at the RRP you deserve the TV and the hit to your bank account. The rest of us will be enjoying the FALD's and OLED's that are cheaper and give a better picture.

It makes 2016's KS series seem like a bargain - The KS8000 is essentially the same as these - albeit with a different pixel structure so you don't get the viewing angle but the rest seems the same or better. Granted the Q series may push the peak brightness and colour gamut a bit further than last years but spec wise, its not that different from a KS8000 - it seems

Maybe the new pixel structure is a lot more expensive to produce than last years standard VA panels. Just have to see how it performs and reviews...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom