What is the difference between a QLED and OLED TV? Find out!

Just had an email from Richer Sounds pre-order a Samsung QLED

The 65 inch QLED a "gob smacking" £3100 !!!! ,you can buy a SONY Z9 now for £2,500.

What do our resident experts think about the pricing ?

SAMSUNG QE65Q7F 65 inch 4K Ultra HD Premium Smart QLED TV Freeview HD Freesat HD

Surely you wouldn't pre-order one until you had convinced yourself it was better than OLED? That format has to be the pinnacle of design surely with each pixel individually lit (or not).

Surely you wouldn't pre-order one until you had convinced yourself it was better than OLED? That format has to be the pinnacle of design surely with each pixel individually lit (or not).

The LG B7 and C7, at 65" cost £4.5k so £1.4k more expensive than this. That's nearly 50% more than the cost of Q7. Whilst I am not denying that Self-emitting technology is potentially superior, is it really worth 'that' much more. It won't offer the same level of brightness (especially not if you want to keep colour accuracy) and whilst 'contrast ratio' is 'technically' higher - its a mathematical thing - it possibly also won't offer as wide a colour gamut. The Q series offers over 100% of the DCI-P3 gamut. Viewing angles could well be similar too.

Going back to the Contrast Ratio, this is calculated by taking the peak brightness and dividing by the black level and any number divided by 0 gives infinity. The OLEDs could have a maximum Peak Brightness of 100nits (SDR level) and still give a greater contrast level than any HDR10 accredited LED. The fact is though, that at the black level, an OLED may have 0.00nits but these LEDs offer around 0.03nits - that's only a very 'small' difference. At the other end though, you have around 700nits of Peak Brightness in an OLED compared to 1500+nits - a much greater difference - even with the logarithmic nature.

Of course there is no chance of un-even black bars, haloing, bloom, bleed etc with an OLED - even FALD TV's can't eliminate Haloing. I have the KS8000 and don't have any of these issues with SDR content. With HDR, I will admit that black bars aren't 'perfect' but they aren't 'distracting' and 'darker' than my H6400 is with SDR content. I actually had to go back and check, paying particular attention to the bars as I hadn't noticed any unevenness because the content was so spectacular. Haloing was far more apparent BUT only evident on defined bright objects, like text/logo's, on solid black backgrounds. By defined I mean objects with sharp edges. This really only rears its 'ugly' head on things like end-credits. Whilst it is there and quite obvious, its not a game changer for me or 'bad', I don't tend to watch these anyway but I won't lie about the fact it occurs.

I recently completed Horizon:ZD (PS4 Pro) and played that entirely in HDR. As its 16:9, there is no black bars and not once did I see any 'light' based issues. I can say the same for games like Ratchet and Clank, Gears of War 4 etc. I can't say for definite on Infamous, Uncharted 4 etc as I haven't replayed these in their entirety since I got my PS4 Pro and/or the HDR update. Having access to HDR via Youtube on the inbuilt App, I have watched every HDR Channels videos and 90%+ have no light issues at all. The LG demo's look incredible - until the LG Logo appears at the end and then I get some haloing around that but the majority have no discernible issues at all.

Point I am making is that just because these are 'edge-lit', doesn't mean they can't deliver an (almost - if blacks were 0.00nits) perfect SDR experience with no light issues, an excellent HDR experience with very minor occurrences of haloing and slight un-evenness in black bars (if you notice these) but if you own a LED TV for SDR content, then chances are you get some unevenness to black bars and minor haloing anyway and these are no worse in HDR. Of course you can turn the backlight down a few levels and reduce (if not eradicate) these issues - you may not be getting 1500nits anymore but you could still be getting more than 700nits...

Of course its not going to happen with an OLED - it really depends if that as well as the other differences (like lower peak brightness etc) are worth the extra £1.4k+ to the person buying or not.

I am not trying to say that someone should buy a 'specific' model or technology but its often not as 'black and white' as it may seem. It really depends on the individual, their budget, what they want from a TV, what sources they use and content they watch. If HDR is a 'once a month' type thing, then maybe the Q series will be more than adequate. Maybe if you can spend £4.5k the B7/C7 OLEDs will be better for that person...

The LG B7 and C7, at 65" cost £4.5k so £1.4k more expensive than this. That's nearly 50% more than the cost of Q7. Whilst I am not denying that Self-emitting technology is potentially superior, is it really worth 'that' much more. It won't offer the same level of brightness (especially not if you want to keep colour accuracy) and whilst 'contrast ratio' is 'technically' higher - its a mathematical thing - it possibly also won't offer as wide a colour gamut. The Q series offers over 100% of the DCI-P3 gamut. Viewing angles could well be similar too.

You're directing your comments to someone who spent £4.5K on a 55" OLED. I had a 3 hour demo at a private residence and was so impressed with the quality of pictures (broadcast, DVD, Blu-ray and 4K) I placed an order the following day. The premium was worth it for me. Only the purchaser can answer that question. My Loewe has been ISF calibrated and is more than bright enough as well as having a superb picture with Freeview, Sky, DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray. In short, I'm 100% satisfied and don't regret spending the money I did.

I'll leave others to discuss the relative merits of OLED vs QLED, nits and various other things. ;)

I don't believe the ZD9 has dipped quite that low just yet. Cheapest I've seen is £3k.

BTW the flagship Q9 65" is £4.7k. I believe the price you quoted is for the bottom of the range Q7. Mind boggling prices for an edge lit LCD. I honestly believe Samsung is setting the price high so as to give some prestige and exclusivity. Afterall things that cost a lot of money are high quality and lusted after right? Basically if you buy one at the RRP you deserve the TV and the hit to your bank account. The rest of us will be enjoying the FALD's and OLED's that are cheaper and give a better picture.
Maybe Samsung still have shipping containers full of the KS series to move on :) .If so,it makes sense i suppose to set a higher price for the QLED in the short term, whilst moving on old stock.As old stock decreases in size, reduce the price of the new model.Still it is a Ridiculous price for an entry level QLED .You could buy a top of the rage OLED for just a couple of hundred pounds more. like you say it is essentially an LCD TV.

I do like OLED, unfortunately at this moment in time, I think it is unfit for purpose in our family home. I watch Sky Sports, BT Sports, Sky Sports News on loop. Thats besides long gaming sessions. The Panel would look like a patchwork quilt within a month :)

I think when the technology has fully evolved OLED will be the out right winner. Seems all the manufactures believe this as well, hence Sony, Panasonic, making OLED models this year. All be with LG panels.

If I only ever watched movies, and terrestrial TV, I would buy an OLED in a heartbeat. I think most lads/lasses that bought Samsung KS series would admit to this. Picture is far superior. It’s what comes with it at the moment that’s the problem.

Going back to the Contrast Ratio, this is calculated by taking the peak brightness and dividing by the black level and any number divided by 0 gives infinity. The OLEDs could have a maximum Peak Brightness of 100nits (SDR level) and still give a greater contrast level than any HDR10 accredited LED. The fact is though, that at the black level, an OLED may have 0.00nits but these LEDs offer around 0.03nits - that's only a very 'small' difference. At the other end though, you have around 700nits of Peak Brightness in an OLED compared to 1500+nits - a much greater difference - even with the logarithmic nature.

Of course there is no chance of un-even black bars, haloing, bloom, bleed etc with an OLED - even FALD TV's can't eliminate Haloing. I have the KS8000 and don't have any of these issues with SDR content. With HDR, I will admit that black bars aren't 'perfect' but they aren't 'distracting' and 'darker' than my H6400 is with SDR content. I actually had to go back and check, paying particular attention to the bars as I hadn't noticed any unevenness because the content was so spectacular. Haloing was far more apparent BUT only evident on defined bright objects, like text/logo's, on solid black backgrounds. By defined I mean objects with sharp edges. This really only rears its 'ugly' head on things like end-credits. Whilst it is there and quite obvious, its not a game changer for me or 'bad', I don't tend to watch these anyway but I won't lie about the fact it occurs.

I recently completed Horizon:ZD (PS4 Pro) and played that entirely in HDR. As its 16:9, there is no black bars and not once did I see any 'light' based issues. I can say the same for games like Ratchet and Clank, Gears of War 4 etc. I can't say for definite on Infamous, Uncharted 4 etc as I haven't replayed these in their entirety since I got my PS4 Pro and/or the HDR update. Having access to HDR via Youtube on the inbuilt App, I have watched every HDR Channels videos and 90%+ have no light issues at all. The LG demo's look incredible - until the LG Logo appears at the end and then I get some haloing around that but the majority have no discernible issues at all.

Point I am making is that just because these are 'edge-lit', doesn't mean they can't deliver an (almost - if blacks were 0.00nits) perfect SDR experience with no light issues, an excellent HDR experience with very minor occurrences of haloing and slight un-evenness in black bars (if you notice these) but if you own a LED TV for SDR content, then chances are you get some unevenness to black bars and minor haloing anyway and these are no worse in HDR. Of course you can turn the backlight down a few levels and reduce (if not eradicate) these issues - you may not be getting 1500nits anymore but you could still be getting more than 700nits...

Of course its not going to happen with an OLED - it really depends if that as well as the other differences (like lower peak brightness etc) are worth the extra £1.4k+ to the person buying or not.

I am not trying to say that someone should buy a 'specific' model or technology but its often not as 'black and white' as it may seem. It really depends on the individual, their budget, what they want from a TV, what sources they use and content they watch. If HDR is a 'once a month' type thing, then maybe the Q series will be more than adequate. Maybe if you can spend £4.5k the B7/C7 OLEDs will be better for that person...
I am in awe of your infinite knowledge. I enjoy reading your posts, explaining the technology.. I am sure you work for Samsung :)

I do like OLED, unfortunately at this moment in time, I think it is unfit for purpose in our family home. I watch Sky Sports, BT Sports, Sky Sports News on loop. Thats besides long gaming sessions. The Panel would look like a patchwork quilt within a month :)

I think when the technology has fully evolved OLED will be the out right winner. Seems all the manufactures believe this as well, hence Sony, Panasonic, making OLED models this year. All be with LG panels.

If I only ever watched movies, and terrestrial TV, I would buy an OLED in a heartbeat. I think most lads/lasses that bought Samsung KS series would admit to this. Picture is far superior. It’s what comes with it at the moment that’s the problem.

If you're concerned about burn-in don't be. My Loewe has a calibration process it goes through each time it has been on for a few hours. It starts when the TV is switched off.

I would imagine other OLED TVs have something similar. Technology never fully evolves, there's always something better around the corner. But OLED is now sufficiently robust to be a worthwhile investment. I changed from a 42" Panasonic Professional Plasma display to this in November and have never looked back. LED has never convinced me.

If you're concerned about burn-in don't be. My Loewe has a calibration process it goes through each time it has been on for a few hours. It starts when the TV is switched off.

I would imagine other OLED TVs have something similar. Technology never fully evolves, there's always something better around the corner. But OLED is now sufficiently robust to be a worthwhile investment. I changed from a 42" Panasonic Professional Plasma display to this in November and have never looked back. LED has never convinced me.
I have to agree with you about LED. In retrospect i prematurely replaced my 60 inch LG Plasma. DSE effect during live football games was driving me barmy. I found I couldn’t help myself, I was watching the DSE more than the football. You couldn’t see it on anything else other than a green football pitch.

After 3 visits to Curry’s, and reading hundreds of posts on AV Forums, I bought a 65KS8000.You guessed; I bought a “Dud”. (Just my luck). Watching football was like watching television through Prison Bars.(Not that I have been to prison).Was really bad, Returned the TV and bought a Sony 65inch 4K.

It is acceptable, by that I mean it’s marginally better than the Samsung KS TV.I regret getting rid of the Plasma, the last model produced by LG. My son loves it.

The only picture I have ever seen in DEMO that truly blew me away was OLED. It is the closest thing you can get to the rich colours, vibrancy, you get with Plasma. My analogy, LED picture is a bit like a flat pint of Lager that has been left standing for a few hours. Plasma a freshly pulled Pint with all the bubbles fizzing away. I was very close to buying an OLED, until I saw a £3,500 model with a WIFI signal bar burned dead centre of the screen in Curry’s.

Can I please ask which OLED model you own ,?,thanks in advance.

dcleach, I feel for you. Spending all that money and still not being satisfied is galling. Is DSE something you're particularly sensitive to? Was it ever evident when you demo'd it? When I went round to demo the Loewe Bild 7 it was a Sunday afternoon and I watched football (including 4K) very carefully but couldn't see anything that would cause me issues.

Loewe is a bespoke manufacturer. You can't even buy them at John Lewis. There are several Loewe outlets around the country including Harrods. There's one in Manchester.

The service is second to none. As an example, one of their technicians came to my home yesterday to replace an HDMI cable as the original wasn't long enough to reach my Oppo UHD player from HDMI 4. No charge. It's all part of the service.

I see you live in Gtr Manchester. You're very welcome to see my setup if you want. PM me if you want to pop round.

I have to agree with you about LED. In retrospect i prematurely replaced my 60 inch LG Plasma. DSE effect during live football games was driving me barmy. I found I couldn’t help myself, I was watching the DSE more than the football. You couldn’t see it on anything else other than a green football pitch.

After 3 visits to Curry’s, and reading hundreds of posts on AV Forums, I bought a 65KS8000.You guessed; I bought a “Dud”. (Just my luck). Watching football was like watching television through Prison Bars.(Not that I have been to prison).Was really bad, Returned the TV and bought a Sony 65inch 4K.

It is acceptable, by that I mean it’s marginally better than the Samsung KS TV.I regret getting rid of the Plasma, the last model produced by LG. My son loves it.

The only picture I have ever seen in DEMO that truly blew me away was OLED. It is the closest thing you can get to the rich colours, vibrancy, you get with Plasma. My analogy, LED picture is a bit like a flat pint of Lager that has been left standing for a few hours. Plasma a freshly pulled Pint with all the bubbles fizzing away. I was very close to buying an OLED, until I saw a £3,500 model with a WIFI signal bar burned dead centre of the screen in Curry’s.

Can I please ask which OLED model you own ,?,thanks in advance.
The one in curry's will be in shop mode and probably never did a compensation cycle in its life, screen burn or image retention is virtually non existent on the e6 oled, it's alot better than my Panasonic zt65 before it, if I gamed on that I could see the hud for a while when watching TV, on the oled I can game for hours and not notice anything when going back to tv programs

You're directing your comments to someone who spent £4.5K on a 55" OLED. I had a 3 hour demo at a private residence and was so impressed with the quality of pictures (broadcast, DVD, Blu-ray and 4K) I placed an order the following day. The premium was worth it for me. Only the purchaser can answer that question. My Loewe has been ISF calibrated and is more than bright enough as well as having a superb picture with Freeview, Sky, DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray. In short, I'm 100% satisfied and don't regret spending the money I did.

I'll leave others to discuss the relative merits of OLED vs QLED, nits and various other things. ;)

I wasn't 'directing' the entire post to you as you obviously felt that spending £4.5k on a top of line 55" OLED was justified but for others, that decision is not quite so black and white and easy. Its not always a case of buying a certain technology if that's not within your budget or you the benefits are not worth the extra to that person.

I opted to buy the KS8000, not because it represented the 'best' Picture in every format, but because it suited my needs and circumstances better at the time. As someone who also spends as much time gaming, no interest in 3D and HDR is limited and in its infancy, I preferred the options and pricing of the Samsung. I am sure it will be replaced in a few years - either by an OLED or by a 'true' QLED (if Nanosys can get the technology out there). Had I had the 4.5k to spend on the similar sized Loewe, I still think I would have bought the Samsung - not because its better, which it clearly isn't, but because it suited my situation better.

I am in awe of your infinite knowledge. I enjoy reading your posts, explaining the technology.. I am sure you work for Samsung :)

I wish!!! That way I wouldn't have to spend as much on my TV's or other home entertainment and white goods. My Knowledge is certainly not 'infinite' but I do research the technology and the specs of various different options etc.

As I said above, the reason that I ended up with the KS8000 is because it suited my needs and situation better at the time. I know that we are still someway short of having 12bit panels and achieving 4000nits with the full REC2020 colour gamut - something that Dolby Vision content is mastered too. The best HDR10 is mastered to 4000nits too but 10bit so its was clear to me that over the next few years, we will see improvements to Peak Brightness (which will improve contrast ratio) and colour gamut as well as maybe see 12bit panels. I didn't want to 'wait' until this was commercially available so opted for a 'decent' yet not extravagantly expensive option that would be bettered next year. I can't afford to keep buying TV's every year or so to have the 'best of the best' so decided not to spend 'big' on something I expect to replace in a few years or so - once the technology catches up.

As I have stated, I know the Samsung I have is not perfect by any means and all LED's - even FALD are not necessarily the 'best' for HDR content. Even if you have a 1000 lights, that means each light is used to illuminate 8.3K pixels so you are never going to get 'perfect' results unless they can find some way to perfectly block the light where it isn't wanted/needed.

I wasn't 'directing' the entire post to you as you obviously felt that spending £4.5k on a top of line 55" OLED was justified but for others, that decision is not quite so black and white and easy. Its not always a case of buying a certain technology if that's not within your budget or you the benefits are not worth the extra to that person.

I opted to buy the KS8000, not because it represented the 'best' Picture in every format, but because it suited my needs and circumstances better at the time. As someone who also spends as much time gaming, no interest in 3D and HDR is limited and in its infancy, I preferred the options and pricing of the Samsung. I am sure it will be replaced in a few years - either by an OLED or by a 'true' QLED (if Nanosys can get the technology out there). Had I had the 4.5k to spend on the similar sized Loewe, I still think I would have bought the Samsung - not because its better, which it clearly isn't, but because it suited my situation better.

This. As someone whose Tv is used very differently to yours; BBC loving, Drama watching, no sport or gaming, zero UHD content I'm interested in (basically no BBC UHD channel now or planned). I went for a LG910V last autumn because it suited my needs and my 9 year old Panasonic plasma was showing small signs of getting to the end of it's life.

Tv's aren't just TVs anymore, and that's why we have different techs. The sports loving console gamer needs something very different from their panel than, someone who looks forward to the new series of In the Line of Duty or Broadchurch and, gets excited over BBC4 HD and Only Connect finals.:D

dcleach, I feel for you. Spending all that money and still not being satisfied is galling. Is DSE something you're particularly sensitive to? Was it ever evident when you demo'd it? When I went round to demo the Loewe Bild 7 it was a Sunday afternoon and I watched football (including 4K) very carefully but couldn't see anything that would cause me issues.

Loewe is a bespoke manufacturer. You can't even buy them at John Lewis. There are several Loewe outlets around the country including Harrods. There's one in Manchester.

The service is second to none. As an example, one of their technicians came to my home yesterday to replace an HDMI cable as the original wasn't long enough to reach my Oppo UHD player from HDMI 4. No charge. It's all part of the service.

I see you live in Gtr Manchester. You're very welcome to see my setup if you want. PM me if you want to pop round.
That is very kind of you. I live in Didsbury, Manchester. I am off next weekend; I might take you up on your offer. I have not figured out how to send a private message. Will have another go at it later.

Thanks once again.:)

The one in curry's will be in shop mode and probably never did a compensation cycle in its life, screen burn or image retention is virtually non existent on the e6 oled, it's alot better than my Panasonic zt65 before it, if I gamed on that I could see the hud for a while when watching TV, on the oled I can game for hours and not notice anything when going back to tv programs
I have heard good things about the E6,not so much the others.

I have heard good things about the E6,not so much the others.
The e6 along with the b6, c6 and g6 all have the same panel so they should all be the same, I've also had a 930 and a 950 oled, image retention wasn't an issue on them either

That is very kind of you. I live in Didsbury, Manchester. I am off next weekend; I might take you up on your offer. I have not figured out how to send a private message. Will have another go at it later.

Thanks once again.:)

I'm in Cheadle Hulme so only 4 miles away. If you click on my photo and choose the option Start a Conversation that's a PM.

Well, took the plunge on the Samsung QE65Q7F today.

After being offered the 4th replacement of my Sony 65XD9305 due to it going wrong again (be the 4th replacement since Dec 2016) decided to move brands. Hopefully won't regret as loved the Sony panel, but have had enough. First screen horizontal lines appeared, the 2nd was a dog straight out the box and lasted 2 weeks, the 3rd had horizontal lines appear just this week.

All through John Lewis and Samsung have a offer of £400 cash back on at the moment so the payment I made to buy the Samsung will be returned in 60 days.....as long as I remember to claim.

My Sony kd-75xd9405 had occasional lines midscreen to the halfway point left side but a reboot made them go away. This happened a few times but I used to sell TVs and I know as crazy as it sounds sometimes they just need to settle down a bit. I still get it on the rare occasion. Doesn't worry me.

However I could never go to the dark side. I'd rather have a lucky goldstar.

I would be absolutely in your same situation! The only problem for me is size! I could sit a 49" perfectly and 50 with some efforts, but it looks that oled (will ???) come only from 55 and on! Market choice or technical problem? I can keep waiting as long as my pana plasma will work fine. I´ve seen Loewe in Germany but I think too expensive... better a PANA (when it will come) with a pro Calibration (IMHO)!

I would be absolutely in your same situation! The only problem for me is size! I could sit a 49" perfectly and 50 with some efforts, but it looks that oled (will ???) come only from 55 and on! Market choice or technical problem? I can keep waiting as long as my pana plasma will work fine. I´ve seen Loewe in Germany but I think too expensive... better a PANA (when it will come) with a pro Calibration (IMHO)!

Yes, OLED starts at 55" for two reasons...
1) The panel manufacturing process dictates it and
2) To enjoy 4K you need to sit closer than for HD meaning screens have to be bigger for the same viewing distance.

If you can physically get a 55" on a wall then consider it. I had reservations about the size but on my chimney breast it's fine. I could just about fit a 60" but they don't make that size.

Loewe get their panels from LG but have an arrangement for a higher quality one than those on LG TVs. The Panasonic will probably be great but you still have the 55" problem.

Yes, OLED starts at 55" for two reasons...
1) The panel manufacturing process dictates it and
2) To enjoy 4K you need to sit closer than for HD meaning screens have to be bigger for the same viewing distance.

If you can physically get a 55" on a wall then consider it. I had reservations about the size but on my chimney breast it's fine. I could just about fit a 60" but they don't make that size.

Loewe get their panels from LG but have an arrangement for a higher quality one than those on LG TVs. The Panasonic will probably be great but you still have the 55" problem.
Many thanks for answer and clearing! About distance I know very well but I dont think this is the reason (they produce OLED full HD also only ABOVE 55)! Maybe marketing reason is the most reasonable explanation! Unluckily I CANT fit anything above 50 so I keep on waiting! Maybe when some other plant will start to produce OLED panel they will change "size policy"! I think that in the field of Video processing Panasonic has an historical advantage (they also bought technology of old MASTER KURO)! I will keep waiting...Lucky you for the time being!

@claudio1953 , for a 50" UHD screen you would need to sit between 3 and 7ft away to see the full benefits. TV Viewing Distance Guide

The manufacturing process doesn't allow for smaller screens. Same as plasma - 42" was the minimum. I'm sorry but if you want OLED then 55" will remain the minimum size.

In plasma case it was 42 also for viewing reason! Besides small (for smartphone) oled exists... I do hope some other manufacturer will provide... just let´s wait and see (after all 50 is NOT a tiny size)!

The smartphone and tablet OLED manufacturing process used by Samsung, for example, is different from the LG OLED TV manufacturing process and is hard to scale economically to larger sizes. Currently Samsung has one 30" OLED panel out (Dell UP3017Q), but it is very expensive.

Meanwhile LG is pretty much selling all the panels they can manufacture in 55" and above sizes - according to the news, they have recently made investment decision to focus their big new manufacturing plant only on OLED, but much of that capacity may actually end up being used for Apple iPads and other iThings if and when Apple start using OLED.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom