• INTO DARKNESS (2013)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BEYOND (2016)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I've read Zantarous & VisionMan's previous comments so no need to tell me you don't like it, ok if you must :)

I rewatced JJ's Star Trek (2009) again on my projector last night, it still one of my favourite Trek movies imop, Parts were film in an Budweiser factory hence the brewery look most fans did not like, The actors & characters the humor, the visual splendour, the sound design, culminating into a very entertaining movie. The commentary track is fun, only listened a little, I see Zack Quinto's brother played one of Nero's henchmen, and was ADR'd by Will Wheaton. JJ stormed of one scenes as the cast was joking around too much, but all resolved quickly due to the casts professionalism.

Standing at 94% on Rotten tomatoes as the highest rated Trek movie.

Now I need to rewatch the others

Last edited:
Hey i don't like it :clap: Actually there is a lot to like about 2009, the cast is great. I don't think there was anyone who was miscast at all. Visually it does look absolutely stunning.

Having said I have a tough time deciding between The Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home or Undiscovered Country. I think TWOK just edges its way out in front.

The Motion Picture or First Contact. Two entirely different films but both are superb and I can't decide which is the best. I'm afraid I thought the first JJ film was utter rubbish. How the hell did
a raw recruit become the captain on his first mission?

Bri

I voted for the "Star Trek" reboot as I really enjoyed watching it in the cinema and I still enjoy it at home.

However, it was very close between this and "The Voyage Home" which is just sheer joy. :)

First Contact for me - the first proper big screen outing for the TNG crew and a fairly slick film. I have to admit I also enjoyed Nemesis although I appreciate not many other people do. I have also enjoyed all the rebooted films and Into Darkness is probably my favourite.

How the hell did
a raw recruit become the captain on his first mission?
Without wishing to be pedantic...
...he didn't. Pike and Kirk exchange a few words about becoming Captain in as little as four years and then the film skips forward three years.

Nemesis was a massive pile of disappointment.

First Contact will always be my favourite, but I have a lot of love for Star Trek 6.

First Contact for me - the first proper big screen outing for the TNG crew and a fairly slick film. I have to admit I also enjoyed Nemesis although I appreciate not many other people do. I have also enjoyed all the rebooted films and Into Darkness is probably my favourite.

...he didn't. Pike and Kirk exchange a few words about becoming Captain in as little as four years and then the film skips forward three years.

Granted I find the film pretty boring so I could have it wrong. but as I recall
Kirk is a cadet on his first actual mission. Either way in the course of that mission he jumps from cadet to captain.

Bri

I like Nemesis as well better than Insurrection also like Into Darkness and other that not over liked.
As to the new timeline film I thought Kirk got his
massive promotion because of outstanding tactical leadership and earlier on had a field promotion to first officer by Pike and had as you say been a cadet for years and was the first cadet to break the Kobayashi Maru simulation which was un winnable although cheating did it by thinking out of the box or messing with the box.

I like Insurrection, it’s more of a feature length episode than a feature film. It has some good points, but is a bit lazy.

Nemesis though was the death knell for movies in that Star Trek universe, which is why they had to wait years and then reboot them in an alternate universe.

The reason I enjoy Star Trek 6 so much is it’s the first film featuring the original crew that has decent effects and the cast are getting on a bit so the humour works.

Quick few words description of each film;

Star Trek 1 - snoozefest
Star Trek 2 - Khaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn
Star Trek 3 - oops we shouldn’t have killed off Spock, let’s find some crazy way to bring him back
Star Trek 4 - timey wimey stuff
Star Trek 5 - utter nonsense
Star Trek 6 - goodbye original crew - :(
Star Trek Generations - Kirk, Picard and rescuing the cat
Star Trek First Contact - you’ve broke your little ship and Troy forgetting her accent
Star Trek Insurrection - easy pay day
Star Trek Nemesis - turd

Last edited:
I like Insurrection, it’s more of a feature length episode than a feature film. It has some good points, but is a bit lazy.

Nemesis though was the death knell for movies in that Star Trek universe, which is why they had to wait years and then reboot them in an alternate universe.

The reason I enjoy Star Trek 6 so much is it’s the first film featuring the original crew that has decent effects and the cast are getting on a bit so the humour works.

Quick few words description of each film;

Star Trek 1 - snoozefest
Star Trek 2 - Khaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn
Star Trek 3 - oops we shouldn’t have killed off Spock, let’s find some crazy way to bring him back
Star Trek 4 - timey wimey stuff
Star Trek 5 - utter nonsense
Star Trek 6 - goodbye original crew - :(
Star Trek Generations - Kirk, Picard and rescuing the cat
Star Trek First Contact - you’ve broke your little ship and Troy forgetting her accent
Star Trek Insurrection - easy pay day
Star Trek Nemesis - turd
Is that the one you voted for?

Head says Wrath of Khan, heart says First Contact.

But I've gone with Khan.

Best moment in any Trek though is daddy Data playing double agent :)

"Resistance is futile." Oh hell yeah it is :devil:

Can the original series of movies (Kirk & Co) and the new (Picard & crew) be compared? I think not.

Quite clearly the greatest movie of the original first set is The Wrath of Khan. One of the greatest sci-fi movies ever in my mind. A true classic.

Followed by TNG's best and finest movie First Contact. Its a total blast, totally illogical and totally entertaining. But unlike KHAN, is it one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever? No, and it doesn't even scratch the surface.

OMG, I've just compared them when they can't really be. But... KHAN for me.

Star Trek 1 - snoozefest

I used to think this too but I watched again earlier this year abs watching on a nice big screen with 5.1 sounds really helps draw you in, to the point where I actually really enjoyed it. It als I hands down has the best score of all Trek movies.

Can the original series of movies (Kirk & Co) and the new (Picard & crew) be compared? I think not.

Quite clearly the greatest movie of the original first set is The Wrath of Khan. One of the greatest sci-fi movies ever in my mind. A true classic.

Followed by TNG's best and finest movie First Contact. Its a total blast, totally illogical and totally entertaining. But unlike KHAN, is it one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever? No, and it doesn't even scratch the surface.

OMG, I've just compared them when they can't really be. But... KHAN for me.

I'd be surprised if Khan and Contact don't lead the way here.

I think I actually prefer TNG crew to the original as well, mainly because of Data and Worf. But of course Stewart is a powerhouse as Picard.

Has been an awful long time since I watched the original movies, they used to be on TV all the time. Especially the one with the humpback whale :laugh:

I voted for The Motion Picture; it's quite simply the best of Star Trek and sci-fi in general, although it's kind of tied with Star Trek II and VI, and I have a real soft spot for Star Trek III The Search for Spock.

I continue to be dumbfounded- even after 24 years- at the popularity of First Contact. Absolutely nothing about it makes any sense at all, and the action scenes are phenomenally disappointing. What am I missing?

I continue to be dumbfounded- even after 24 years- at the popularity of First Contact. Absolutely nothing about it makes any sense at all, and the action scenes are phenomenally disappointing. What am I missing?
The Borg

The Borg, Data going rogue, Data playing double agent, First Contact, The Vulcan's, James Cromwell being a drunk.

I voted for The Motion Picture; it's quite simply the best of Star Trek and sci-fi in general, although it's kind of tied with Star Trek II and VI, and I have a real soft spot for Star Trek III The Search for Spock.

Alice Krige.

Conversation on the Borg home planet:

"We need to send a task force to assimilate the Federation once and for all".

"Good idea. How large a force do you need?"

"Well, we only sent one cube last time. And it eventually got blown up."

"Good point. Luckily we have thousands of cubes".

"That's a lot! How do you know we have so many?"

"I've seen Star Trek Voyager. So, how many shall we send this time? Few hundred? Few thousand?"

"One again?"

"Works for me."

"I've seen Star Trek Voyager. So, how many shall we send this time? Few hundred? Few thousand?"

"One again?"

"Works for me."

Great plan. Great movie as well. :thumbsup:

"One again?"

"Works for me."

They only needed 1 though as they planned on turning Data. He's worth 1,000 cubes.

It backfired though because they made a mess of the skin graft on his face and it pissed him off.

"One again?"

"Works for me."

A lot of movies fall in to this trap, if you think about it too much most action films plot lines are nonsense. Heck a lot of Star Trek episodes can also be thought of in this way too.

Also on the Borg homeworld:

"We need assimilate the federation once and for all. We need their culture and technology. What's our plan?"

"Lets go back in time and stop First Contact."

"How will we do that?"

"Using time travel capability the Borg have never used before, and wont ever use again."

"Ok. But why?"

"Then the Earth wont develop warp drive and will stay in a primitive state."

"But doesn't that mean there wont be any Federation to assimilate in the first place?"

"Shut up."

Also on the Borg homeworld:

"We need assimilate the federation once and for all. We need their culture and technology. What's our plan?"

"Lets go back in time and stop First Contact."

"How will we do that?"

"Using time travel capability the Borg have never used before, and wont ever use again."

"Ok. But why?"

"Then the Earth wont develop warp drive and will stay in a primitive state."

"But doesn't that mean there wont be any Federation to assimilate in the first place?"

"Shut up."

Sounds beautiful. And it is! :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom