What lens next?

grahamricho

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a fuji film xt 30 and loving it and getting to grips with it.

I bought the body only option and wanted a small compact lens as I never took my older SLR camera out much due to the size.

So I bought the XF 27mm pancake lens and love the small size factor etc.

I want to use the camera for street photography and general travel photography.

I have set the front command dial on the camera for aperture control since the lens does not have a aperture control on it.

I also have an 15mm x 45mm from an AX7 but tried it once and it changed the whole handling of the camera after getting used to the XF 27mm.

So what are the limitations of the 27mm lens and if I was to buy another lens what would you buy?
Thanks

The limitations of the 27mm pancake are that it’s a fixed focal length and that it’s not that fast so is limiting for subject isolation. I’m not sure what you mean by a 15x45mm lens?

For travel I prefer a zoom and as such would recommend the 18-55mm f2.8-4. It’s a relatively light lens offering great image quality.

Hi thanks the 27mm lens is a f of 2.8 so the same as the 18 -55mm ? The other lens I have is the fuji XC 15-45mm thanks

Hi thanks the 27mm lens is a f of 2.8 so the same as the 18 -55mm ? The other lens I have is the fuji XC 15-45mm thanks
It’s f2.8 to f4, but I wasn’t recommending this for subject isolation more the convenience for travel if you need different focal lengths. The 35mm f1.4 is a small-ish and light-ish lens if you want something to give a bit more subject isolation but without too much heft.

The XF27mm is also my go to lens for travel, allowing for the low light performance and lack of aperture ring, I'm now comfortable using the dial on the body to control aperture, but it does take a bit of getting used to. There's nothing comparable to the size/weight really.

If you feel 27mm is too narrow for you then the XF18mm F2 has a similar feel to the 27mm is fairly compact and reasonably priced.
If you feel it's too wide then the two 35mm lenses are both great, probably my favourites out of the X lenses I've used. The F2 is probably the better lens overall but the F1.4 does have a certain 'character' to it that the other one lacks.
You do have the a zoom that covers all these focal lengths though.

The Fuji vs fuji website is also good for lens advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom