What office chair?

ptammaro_3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Now that my work has made the decision to make working from home a semi permanent thing I’m now in the process of converting my spare bedroom into a home office.

With so many office chairs on the market from cheap to hugely expensive, mesh, leather, headrests, arm rests, reclining options etc I’m left a little confused to which I should invest in.

I’ve decided that since ill be spending about 7-8 hours a day sitting in the chair to invest in it and have a budget of about £600 to spend on the chair itself.

Ive researched Noblechairs, secretlabs, ergohuman, neuechairs and Herman Miller although Id personally grudge spending at least £600 on a 2nd hand chair for the latter option.

Does anyone have any buying advice or recommendations they could make?

There's a thread running in General chat that you might find useful, but as you say, the range is huge as is the price differences.
I think the general consensus is to find a supplier and test out various chairs and then go hunting for the best price.

Haha easier said than done in today’s climate!

We're redecorating at the moment and in the last 10 days I've been to 14 different furniture shops. Even then I still didn't see anything I was happy with so I'm now going down the furniture makers route. I've 3 appointments lined up for this week.

Where there's a will there's a way :smashin:

Haha I’m in Scotland so things are still pretty much closed everywhere at the moment. I’ll probably end up going down the Herman Miller route since they’re so well regarded.

How do you find the chair you have at your work office.

my experience is that 95% of people find the chair they are provided at their place or work is 100% suitable. Did you? If the answer is yes that buy the same chair for home.

if style is more important then, a chair from the Eames aluminium range is one of the most recognisable classic office chair you can get (pricey though)

I think the EA117 is genera considered the go to version. Link here to a company that does reproductions

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you find the chair you have at your work office.

my experience is that 95% of people find the chair they are provided at their place or work is 100% suitable. Did you? If the answer is yes that buy the same chair for home.

if style is more important then, a chair from the Eames aluminium range is one of the most recognisable classic office chair you can get (pricey though)

I think the EA117 is genera considered the go to version. Link here to a company that does reproductions

Unfortunately my current office chair is garbage. Thankfully I spend most of my days in meetings and walking between our offices at different locations in the city. But, with lockdown and now more permanently these meetings are now being done digitally. So sitting at my desk all day at home is going to be the norm!

I really don’t mind spending money on the right chair but I’d grudge dropping £1.4k on a new Herman Miller unless I can get a really good quality 2nd hand one which seem to be quite rare at the moment.

Style wise, I’m old school so like the classics and not into the gimmicks of the gaming chairs but some do seem to be well regarded from an ergonomic front.

I went through a similar dilemma recently having built a dedicated office room at home. Ended up realising I'd rather skimp on the desk (which you will also see a huge range of prices for!) rather than the chair which I'll spend hours every day in and will help my back and posture so much more.

Having said that, I didn't have an unlimited budget but I ended up ordering a Herman Miller Mirra 2 - highly rated wherever you look in terms of function, lots of adjustability, not as expensive as say the Aeron and looks pretty nice too with a choice of colours. Like most high-end chairs it can be customised with options but if you want to save some money you can look for in-stock versions which have been pre-specced with the more popular or common colours and options which are available within a few days and cheaper than a made to order version.

I'd recommend www.wellworking.co.uk. Never came across them until I started looking into chairs but a very polished website, clearly established business and had the best price around as well.

You can also check out the below chairs for options cheaper than the Mirra 2 but which also stood out when I was doing all my research:
  • SIHOO M57 Ergonomic Office Chair
  • Topstar Head Point Chair
  • Herman Miller Sayl
Hope that helps!

Would like to jump on this thread...
I'm now looking for a chair. Everything else in my study is good but using an old gaming chair and my back is now hurting

I've tried and liked the Hag Capisco as my mate had one at uni (quite some time ago!), however having had the gaming chair I would really like something with a headrest for when i want to lean back...

Anyone got any suggestions? I don't mind spending a bit of money on it as i'm in it 10hrs a day (apart from when I'm standing!)
Thanks

I’ve still not decided to be honest.

My work have provided a generic no brand chair which isn’t exactly the comfiest option but will suffice until I decide what to get.

Been using my Humanscale Freedom 5 days a week, 8-10hrs a day for the around 4 years - still looks and feels pretty much new. Currently £1,240 in John Lewis, I got it off ebay for £138 and don't think it had ever been sat in. Had a 180 mile round trip to pick it up but it's probably one of my best ever purchases. They regularly come up on ebay (not quite as low as £138) due to office clearances.

Prior to buying this I'd tried one in fabric, and had tried a Herman Miller Aeron. For me, the Humanscale was noticeably more comfortable.

K6dVNX3.jpg

Been using my Humanscale Freedom 5 days a week, 8-10hrs a day for the around 4 years - still looks and feels pretty much new. Currently £1,240 in John Lewis, I got it off ebay for £138 and don't think it had ever been sat in. Had a 180 mile round trip to pick it up but it's probably one of my best ever purchases. They regularly come up on ebay (not quite as low as £138) due to office clearances.

Prior to buying this I'd tried one in fabric, and had tried a Herman Miller Aeron. For me, the Humanscale was noticeably more comfortable.

K6dVNX3.jpg

Yours looks a lot nicer than the ones I've seen on eBay! Guess the leather works well

Also have to vouch for the Humanscale Freedom, upgraded from my Ikea chair at the start of lockdown and it is supremely comfy for all day working from home.
Got mine from Corporate Spec | 80% OFF All Our Refurbished Branded Office chairs - and was basically like brand new. Not a mark on it and came newly covered, new castors and new arm rests so was impeccable. For £350 very happy with it. I opted for fabric as I always find leather a little sweaty in summer - prefer breathable fabric. Think it was an extra £100 for leather option.
Headrest is essential IMO, well worth the extra.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom