What should i buy?

Arastor

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, A few days ago I bought oculus rift s, I had to return it because the screen began to flicker,
I have about € 450 and I am a pc user, do you recommend rift s or go to another one.

Thanks

get a Quest 2, out soon

€ 450 aint gonna get a G2 setup

Get a Quest 2. The Rift S is being discontinued and the G2 is out of your price range.

Save for a G2 if you have a good gaming PC.

If you want standalone VR get a Quest 2.

Do not get a Quest 2 for PCVR. It is just not a good decision because the Audio is awful, it uses compression, its weight distribution is rubbish, etc.

Do not get a Quest 2 for PCVR. It is just not a good decision because the Audio is awful, it uses compression, its weight distribution is rubbish, etc.

Well we don't know what the compression is like yet. I would have thought you'd have a better experience with the Quest 2 than the OG Quest given the extra power under the hood.

I'm probably not getting one myself but it's less than half the price of the G2, less than a third of the price of the Index and doubles as a standalone headset.

He only has €450, can get a Quest 2 for €299 and can spend the extra €151 on games. Or he could save up another, what? €150? And get a better headset by spending another €300(?) and have no games to show for it and probably have worse tracking and not have the wonders of ASW 2.0 either.

Sure, if money was no object I'd say get an Index, or a G2. But he's said he's only got €450.

Given the circumstances the Quest 2 is the best option, no need to let your hissy fit about the direction Oculus are heading in get in the way of recommending the best headset for his situation 😲

Once you add in the link cable and more comfortable head strap, you're most of the way to a G2 anyway.
Or maybe not. My maths is poor this early in the morning...

Once you add in the link cable and more comfortable head strap, you're most of the way to a G2 anyway.

Only if you're daft enough to spend a fortune on the original cable. Plus the extra headstrap isn't necessarily an essential purchase for a lot of people.

Hello, A few days ago I bought oculus rift s, I had to return it because the screen began to flicker,
I have about € 450 and I am a pc user, do you recommend rift s or go to another one.

Thanks
If your PC is up to snuff and you are happy to kick in another 150 euros a reverb G2 should be a consideration (that is what I have done btw so is my ultimate reccomendation) other than that the quest 2 is likely to be better than the rift s AND is a great (the best?) Standalone device too. It's also cheaper so get some money for games
Only other obvious choice is the index but you are looking at another 600 euros on top
Personally I would not get a quest 1 or a rift s (assuming you can get end of stock items even if offered - unless it is 2nd had for a stupid bargain price).

Last edited:
Well we don't know what the compression is like yet. I would have thought you'd have a better experience with the Quest 2 than the OG Quest given the extra power under the hood.

I'm probably not getting one myself but it's less than half the price of the G2, less than a third of the price of the Index and doubles as a standalone headset.

He only has €450, can get a Quest 2 for €299 and can spend the extra €151 on games. Or he could save up another, what? €150? And get a better headset by spending another €300(?) and have no games to show for it and probably have worse tracking and not have the wonders of ASW 2.0 either.

Sure, if money was no object I'd say get an Index, or a G2. But he's said he's only got €450.

Given the circumstances the Quest 2 is the best option, no need to let your hissy fit about the direction Oculus are heading in get in the way of recommending the best headset for his situation 😲

Compression is NEVER going to reach native performance. Or really get close, especially dark scenes.

Have you seen video compression on streaming apps for dark content like films? E.g. Game of Thrones, the maco blocking on the darker scenes was terrible for some of the last episodes but on the Bluray is pristine. You can translate this experience to VR. There is no way around it.

The compression might be 'just fine' for oculus users, but for people who've experienced better, it'll be awful. Otherwise we wouldn't have display ports or HDMI ports and we'd have researched and utilised USB with some video decoding much earlier on for a plethora of devices. It is a gigantic compromise and painting it as its not is just being silly.

I'd suggest saving an extra £100-£200 and waiting for a G2 price drop if playing in PCVR. The PCVR software library is small. Why ruin it by playing the games on an awful headset? I wish I'd saved a lot of games for my Index.

ASW 2.0 for what games? If he has a decent PC, he doesn't need it.

If you're playing PCVR, I'd honestly try and wait. This isn't a hissy fit. Its proper advice. £450 is a lot of money and if you're wasting it on a device like a Q2 which just isn't built for native PCVR, then later on down the line once he uses a real PCVR headset, he'll wish he'd saved the cash for a good one.

Only if you're daft enough to spend a fortune on the original cable. Plus the extra headstrap isn't necessarily an essential purchase for a lot of people.

The most uncomfortable VR headset on the market, especially for extended play sessions, now has the most uncomfortable headstrap.

I've owned a Q1 for an extensive period of time (well 2 of them). Have you? It is uncomfortable compared to a CV1, Rift S or Index. The other 3 are like putting a glove on your head compared to the front heavy brick which is the Q2.

Oculus have pulled a nasty move by making people buy the strap separately because 90% of people will. The comfort with the strap is still not going to be great.

I don't think it's a nasty move.....depending on what you want the quest 2 for that strap will be ok. If you just want to sling it in hand luggage for watching films on a plane it will be perfect. Also £299... They. Could charge 350 and include the strap and still would be a good deal but this is better imo

I don't think it's a nasty move.....depending on what you want the quest 2 for that strap will be ok. If you just want to sling it in hand luggage for watching films on a plane it will be perfect. Also £299... They. Could charge 350 and include the strap and still would be a good deal but this is better imo

True in that its nice they have given consumers the option to buy it or not.

What I find nasty is the fact that it seems like EVERY single review is saying the strap sucks... so maybe they could have put a bit more effort into the cheap built in strap first.

I can't help but feel Occy cut a lot of corners and didn't care about the built in strap because they knew they'd release the add on strap.

I get SOME people not liking the strap but every single review seems to hate it to varying degrees.

The Quest 2 does have some issues when compared to the OG Quest.
They've gone from OLED to LED and that worries me. Black levels will be much worse.
The IPD adjustment is no longer a slider but 3 fixed positions.
It's white which makes it look a little like a kitchen appliance. Easier to get dirty too.
The material is said to be lower quality than the OG.
The straps are fabric and not stiff so the headset may sit even worse on your nose than the OG. So you will have to buy the rigid strap as an option almost straight away. To be fair the OG Quest does need additional purchases to make it more balanced but at the moment you can get that for 20 quid.

But saying that it is cheaper even with the additional cost for straps.
The resolution has been significantly increased maybe even eliminating the screen door affect.
The CPU has been designed for VR and not just a repurposed mobile chip.
I will reserve judgement on the audio as it should be better than the OG quest but still not as good as other headsets. But you can wirelessly connect to a PC which is connected to your AV receiver. That will be better than any headset.

Overall whichever option you choose, the advantage of being able to move around your space with no wires can not be over stated.

The Quest 2 does have some issues when compared to the OG Quest.
They've gone from OLED to LED and that worries me. Black levels will be much worse.
The IPD adjustment is no longer a slider but 3 fixed positions.
It's white which makes it look a little like a kitchen appliance. Easier to get dirty too.
The material is said to be lower quality than the OG.
The straps are fabric and not stiff so the headset may sit even worse on your nose than the OG. So you will have to buy the rigid strap as an option almost straight away. To be fair the OG Quest does need additional purchases to make it more balanced but at the moment you can get that for 20 quid.

But saying that it is cheaper even with the additional cost for straps.
The resolution has been significantly increased maybe even eliminating the screen door affect.
The CPU has been designed for VR and not just a repurposed mobile chip.
I will reserve judgement on the audio as it should be better than the OG quest but still not as good as other headsets. But you can wirelessly connect to a PC which is connected to your AV receiver. That will be better than any headset.

Overall whichever option you choose, the advantage of being able to move around your space with no wires can not be over stated.

I think the biggest loss is the lack of physical IPD.

I can forgive cheaper build quality because the price is so low. I can forgive LCD because it looks like only Samsung can provide OLED pentile displays for VR. I can forgive the straps to a degree too because.. well that price is insane.

Reviews have the said the audio is the same as OG quest which is.. very meh. I was hoping they'd provide a wireless bluetooth option at a minimum. Even if they had wireless reccomended integration with bluetooth headphones, something like the apple airpods would be perfect for a decent experience.

I hated using my Q1 just because I had to put on the headset, and the 3.5mm and then connect it to my headphones.. its a big faff. Add in for PCVR I had to then do ANOTHER wire... its just so messy. The whole point of the quest is how seemless it is.

They could have done with focussing on bluetooth audio latency using some custom hardware magic .. or simply just delaying the feed.. to get latency looking fine (apple do this with their products).

I think the biggest loss is the lack of physical IPD.

I can forgive cheaper build quality because the price is so low. I can forgive LCD because it looks like only Samsung can provide OLED pentile displays for VR. I can forgive the straps to a degree too because.. well that price is insane.

Reviews have the said the audio is the same as OG quest which is.. very meh. I was hoping they'd provide a wireless bluetooth option at a minimum. Even if they had wireless reccomended integration with bluetooth headphones, something like the apple airpods would be perfect for a decent experience.

I hated using my Q1 just because I had to put on the headset, and the 3.5mm and then connect it to my headphones.. its a big faff. Add in for PCVR I had to then do ANOTHER wire... its just so messy. The whole point of the quest is how seemless it is.

They could have done with focussing on bluetooth audio latency using some custom hardware magic .. or simply just delaying the feed.. to get latency looking fine (apple do this with their products).
Bottom line Q2 is for the masses plus there's quite a few Q1 owners looking to upgrade. If enough people take it up that may lead to a better future headset. I was getting one on trial. 90Hz (eventually) and more power are definitely appealing. But I think I will wait and see what happens.

so i guess this is my 2 options:
i need to upgrade my gpu and my monitor too so:

1- rtx 3080 (720€) , 4k monitor (found a good one by friend 200€) and quest with the elite strap (50€) and maybe (this could work as oculus link?) -> oculus link (40€)

total: ( 1310€)

2- rtx 3070 (520€), 4k monitor (same monitor 200€) hp reverb g2 (600€)
total: ( 1320€)

idk if i should buy 3070, play more with the monitor than vr, rtx 3070 is a nice card btw

in conclussion idk what to do, I'm very indecisive

and sorry for my english if there is any mistake i found this forum very active and i ask here

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
so i guess this is my 2 options:
i need to upgrade my gpu and my monitor too so:

1- rtx 3080 (720€) , 4k monitor (found a good one by friend 200€) and quest with the elite strap (50€) and maybe (this could work as oculus link?) -> oculus link (40€)

total: ( 1310€)

2- rtx 3070 (520€), 4k monitor (same monitor 200€) hp reverb g2 (600€)
total: ( 1320€)

idk if i should buy 3070, play more with the monitor than vr, rtx 3070 is a nice card btw

in conclussion idk what to do, I'm very indecisive

and sorry for my english if there is any mistake i found this forum very active and i ask here

Clearly go for the second option.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Id say go with the first, you will get more mileage from a better video card and monitor, the second option would be a consideration if you were a VR diehard, but with a fairly limited library, unless you are planning to do a lot of sim racing or something like that, I think the 1st option would be the way to go.

Circumstance one gives you inferior visuals because your display is the bottleneck as it can’t even pass through the natively rendered image from your GPU.

circumstance two allows th VR headset to leverage the full power and quality of your GPu.

there is honestly no contest here.
Unless you want standalone VR in portable mode.. it’s just an obvious answer .

do you want your VR experience encoded over a USB port? Or do you want your displays hooked up to the display port of your expensive GPu that can send the data over properly..::

This is a link vs rift s video.

Rift s obviously being a far worse headset than the reverb, the difference is even bigger (feel bad for ppl who bought it.. luckily I sold mine before I lost money on it)

the difference is obviously even bigger in VR

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom