What Star Trek Have You Watched Today

Klippie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been working my way through Enterprise again and just got to them finding the Xindi Weapon in series 3...its good stuff.

I fancy revisiting Voyager next its been a long time since I've watched Captain Janeway and crew.

Currently watching season 4 of TNG, just watched episode 23 The Host this week.

I also just had a urge to watch some TOS so this week watched The Man Trap and Charlie X.

As I watch these I am actually keeping a rating of each episode for fun, hopefully I can get some analytics out of it at the end of things like which is the best season, what show had the most 5/5 episodes etc.

Watching TNG episode Clues. I try to watch episode of Trek every year.

About 2 weeks ago I started DS9 from the beginning and I'm up to season 2 ep 14. I know a lot of people were either DS9 or Babylon 5 but I love them both, about every 2 years I watch one from the beginning so when I've finished DS9 I'll start Babylon 5

Horror (Freeview 70) have rolled back around to series one of TOS meaning I finally got to see this Miri episode and whilst it's tame by today's standards, you could tell the Beeb didn't want the blame for any kid going out and copying any of the Lord of the Flies-inspired violence. Missed Balance of Terror but they're all on Netflix for easy dipping in and out. Repeated 10am the next morning if you miss them at 6pm.

Meanwhile they're showing season 3 of TNG, seems repeats are 9am next morning if you miss them at 7pm the night before with a Sunday omnibus while Pick TV (11) are on season 6, for the next couple of days they're doubling up at 6pm to 8pm but no weekend repeats.

So watched a watched some TNG yesterday and today:

4x25 - In Theory - A pretty good Data centric episode where he experiments with having a girlfriend. It is episodes like this that really show you how Data really is just a machine. There is some wonderful acting by Brent Spiner.

4x26/5x01 - Redemption part I & II - Don't think I have seen this since the original showing on TV, and it is an absolute blast of a two parter. Some seriously epic stuff, this really could have been a TNG era movie. Loved the call back and tie in of Yesterday's Enterprise which really made me think how that would work, but it does. Brilliant stuff 5/5.

5x02 - Darmok - Not one I really enjoyed when it originally aired but I have grown to appreciate it more. However it is one of those episodes that is filled with so many ploy wholes that you have to wonder did they just ignore them. Worf could have easily flown out of phaser range of the other ship and gone round the other side of the planet and they could have Picard back in time for tea and cucumber sandwiches.

TNG 5x03 Ensign Ro - absolutely fantastic episode that sets the scene for DS9. Michelle Forbes is great as the plucky Ensign who gives Picard some serious attitude and again we see a corrupt Federation Admiral. Ro is Tolis she can’t wear her Bajoran ear piece while in uniform but I immediately thought, but Worf can wear his Sash?

I immediately thought, but Worf can wear his Sash?
Would you want to be the person to tell Worf he couldn't wear his sash? :laugh: Some battles are not worth fighting.

Over the last few days, having stared a two week staycation, I have watched:

TNG 5x04 Silicon Avatar - The Crystalline Entity was never an interesting thing and yet they trot it out for the 3rd time here, fortunately the entity is just a plot device for the real story. But I am beginning to wonder if man is that enlightened in the 24th Century. In two episodes this season Data is treated as he is not a sentient being and just a machine. Highlight of this episode is Riker demonstrating why is is Number 1, he managed to organise diner and desert before the opening credits have even rolled. 3/5

TNG 5x05 Disaster - This was a wonderful episode, Picard's irrational dislike of Children comes into forceful as he is stuck in a Turbo lift when the ship encounters a spacial anomaly. This is one of the few episodes where Troi gets to shine and actually has a decent and enjoyable story. Michelle Forbes is great once again as Ensign Ro and it is easy to see why she was offered the role of the DS9 Bajoran.

Highlight of this episode is Worf telling Keiko that this was not a good time to go in to labour. 4/5

TNG 5x06 The Game - One I don't really remember well but I am sure I have seen countless times when Sky One used to have this show on repeat daily. It was actually a really good episode and the paring of Wesley and Ensign Lefler was just adorable. Of all the times the Enterprise had been compromised or taken over I did feel this one had a high probability of succeeded had it not been for those pesky kids. 4/5

TNG 5x07 Unification Part 1 - A huge event for TNG the return of a TOS character. I remember watching this as a kid but don't remember any of the hype around it and I am sure there must have been a ton. It is a good solid episode and even has some Lower Decks style humour with Data and Picard on board the Klingon ship when Picard is trying to sleep. Look forward to seeing the second part. I am going to leave the rating until I have watched part 2 as it really feels like it is one long movie then two episodes.

TOS 1x03 Where No Man Has Gone Before - The second shot pilot for TOS and lots of differences between it and what would follow but it is a great glimpse at what could have been and what eventually did come. A great Sci-Fi story that is just timeless. 4/5 #RememberGaryMitchell

I just finished a rewatch of DS9 recently and absolutely loved it.

I tried TNG but ended up skipping a lot of episodes, there are some classics but there's a lot of dross as well. It also hasn't aged that well IMO.
I also tried VOY but gave up after a few episodes, in no time I remembered all the things about it I didn't like, the main ones being bland characters and technobabble to solve perilous situations.

If you like a bit of TOS, have a look at Star Trek Continues on Youtube.
It's a fan film series (I know, I know) but unlike others it's done really well. Some of the acting is not the best and not every episode is a gem but overall I really liked it and think, that unlike any of the other fan made stuff, they really nailed the production. The sound, lighting, camera angles, music, all straight out of TOS.
My favorite episode was when they did their "mirror universe" episode as a direct sequel to the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" in that it shows what happens in the mirror universe when evil Kirk, Scotty, and Uhura come back but Spock has been somewhat transformed by his experience of meeting our universe crew.

TOS 1x03 Where No Man Has Gone Before - The second shot pilot for TOS and lots of differences between it and what would follow but it is a great glimpse at what could have been and what eventually did come. A great Sci-Fi story that is just timeless. 4/5 #RememberGaryMitchell
I dont know why they always show this the 3rd episode when quite obvious is different to the rest of the series (the uniforms, some of the cast, makeup and props)and yet stick it in after two regular episodes in the series although following the original screenings it should be bumped up to the first.
I once wrote to a comic club fanzine about the similarities and the comic story of the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga, and next news the next issue or next but one had a feature and was not over pleased the guy who owned the fanzine had not asked me as it was my observation.

I tried TNG but ended up skipping a lot of episodes, there are some classics but there's a lot of dross as well. It also hasn't aged that well IMO.
I also tried VOY but gave up after a few episodes, in no time I remembered all the things about it I didn't like, the main ones being bland characters and technobabble to solve perilous situations.
I always though STTNG had way more of that, not unless I got use to it being used a lot of the time before Voyager came out.

I wouldn't say you're wrong, but TNG had some great episodes, not just of TNG but of the entire Trek franchise.
I'd struggle to think of any VOY episodes that would fit into that category. There are a few decent ones in there, but they're in the minority and from my memory far off the best of DS9, TNG or even TOS.

If you like a bit of TOS, have a look at Star Trek Continues on Youtube.
It's a fan film series (I know, I know) but unlike others it's done really well. Some of the acting is not the best and not every episode is a gem but overall I really liked it and think, that unlike any of the other fan made stuff, they really nailed the production. The sound, lighting, camera angles, music, all straight out of TOS.
My favorite episode was when they did their "mirror universe" episode as a direct sequel to the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" in that it shows what happens in the mirror universe when evil Kirk, Scotty, and Uhura come back but Spock has been somewhat transformed by his experience of meeting our universe crew.

I do agree somewhat I do think TNG has dated a lot more then DS9 and VOY, but I put that down to the fact that they were a well oiled machine by the time DS9 and VOY got on air and they just look slicker, the camera moves more etc.

I do enjoy VOY, I think there are less bad episodes and more just okay ones so it makes it more watchable.

I have ST Continues on my Plex server, I downloaded them from their site a few years ago and plan to watch it after I have finished TOS and TAS. They do look good from a production point of view so curious to see what they are like.

What's your view on Enterprise?

I dont know why they always show this the 3rd episode when quite obvious is different to the rest of the series (the uniforms, some of the cast, makeup and props)and yet stick it in after two regular episodes in the series although following the original screenings it should be bumped up to the first.
I once wrote to a comic club fanzine about the similarities and the comic story of the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga, and next news the next issue or next but one had a feature and was not over pleased the guy who owned the fanzine had not asked me as it was my observation.

There is production order Vs air date order, one reason they always give is once you have filmed a few episodes you get the feel of the show and they are slicker so in theory episode 3 or 4 should be a better production and hence why they moved Where No Man Has Gone before to 3rd.

Ah the good old days of Fanzines, I met one of my best friends that way, still friends till this day. I put a penpal add in a Quantum Leap fanzine and one day when I was coming home from school this kid was just sitting on my wall waiting for me.

I always though STTNG had way more of that, not unless I got use to it being used a lot of the time before Voyager came out.

I think VOY took it to extremes everything became technobable, I remember that being one of the biggest complaints about the show even during its original run.

I liked the 2 parter In a Mirror Darkly and the re imaging of First Contact in the opening.

The first couple of series are... OK..ish. The whole Time-War thing really just got discarded and I think it had more potential if they'd played it out differently

By the third season though they were in full swing and had a darker turn with the whole Xindi war.
Season four is where it really got going for me though. As above, the Mirror universe episodes were great and they really went for it and hammed up the screen.
The whole biogenics war/Khan castoffs/Explain Worf's comment about Klingons looking different in TOS was good and we got to see data again (sort of). A few more really good episodes in there as well.

I think it was an earlier season but I also remember really liking the one where the Ferengi took over the ship. Also when T'pol told a story about her distant relative being a visitor to Earth in the 1950s (?) Carbon Creek?

Overall it was flawed but I enjoyed a lot of it. As for the ending, probably best to move on and ignore that.

My favorite of the series as said season 3 cracked it but think the damage ws done although some of season 1 and 2 had some good episodes. Season 4 showed what it could be like I think all the 2 parters were very good shame by season 3 I rate must have hemorrhaged viewers.
The Peter Weller, Mirror, the early Soong story, pretty much most of the stories in the 4th season were at the top of the game for me that is.
EDIT forgot the last episode was appalling though :mad: just when I was forgetting it, it dragged me back into its pit of despair.

Oh and the series had Geffory Combs as Shran.

Last edited:
Oh and the series had Geffory Coombs as Shran.

And as a Ferengi in the episode I mentioned above. Aquisition I think it was called in the first season along with Ethan Philips (Neelix) and Clint Howard.

I loved him as Liquidator Brunt in DS9 and of course Weyoun.

And as a Ferengi in the episode I mentioned above. Aquisition I think it was called in the first season along with Ethan Philips (Neelix) and Clint Howard.

I watched that Ferengi one earlier in the conversation but it was Riker trying to baffle them although was not that different from some of the stuff that went on.
Note Riker does his usual striding over the seat.

That's not the one I meant. I'm talking about the Enterprise one where the Ferengi took over the ship.

he was a right creep.
New info me right at the end of this video makes me even more sad there were not more Enterprise seasons.

Did not Archer help Shran twice and Shran helped him once and said they were equal?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom