What turntable and phono stage to add to current headphone setup?

Sanad Saad

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. As I was moving around a lot, I ended up with a headphone based setup. My current kit is:

Desktop: Tidal => Audiolab MDAC+ => Sennheiser HDVA 600/Bottlehead Crack => HD650/HD800/Grado GS3000e
On the go: Onkyo DP-X1 => Balanced Sennheiser IE80/IE700

I have settled down and live down the road from an excellent Vinyl store. I am thinking of adding a good price/performance turntable to my setup. I would appreciate your expertise in this regard. I looked at Project Debut Carbon/Evo, Rega Planar 1 and Marantz TTS15-S1. I can stretch my budget to £1500 if a better price to performance kit can be had. I don’t want to add speakers at present. I am thinking of separates which will make it easier to upgraded later. What player and phono stage would you suggest?

I would go with the Rega from you list above and pair it with the Rega Fono. Add cables and you could get a very decent set up for £470-£500

My choice at the affordable end would the Project Debut Carbon EVO. It's a nicely engineered turntable for the money and better than the entry-level Rega models, particularly in the flexibility to use different cartridges in future.

If you increase your spend I'd suggest looking at the Technics SL1500C, Rega P6 with NeoPSU and Project 'The Classic' Evo.

I have the Debut Evo which I upgraded with a cork mat and a Ortofon 2m Blue stylus and it sounds lovely through my AT headphones and Q Acoustics speakers, very quiet operation great dynamics, I'd 100% recommend it.

The Acrylic platter is the way to go on any Debut without any mat on oh yes I did replace the red stylus for the blue one big improvement

I wouldn't get one for my Evo, Pro-ject themselves say the Evo platter itself is better than the Acrylic.

Fair play

Ed Selley reviewed the Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo and he rates it very highly indeed. Definitely worthy of consideration.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom