Question What would you consider as loud/too loud?

I have not gone right the way up to 0dB on the master volume, should the sound meter read around 75dB at 0dB (reference level)? through each speaker?
An app won’t be too accurate, it won’t actually measure the subs as it cuts off below a certain frequency.

but yes, theoretically reference is 75db when playing test tones through your speakers.

I've never actually experienced this, I’ve had readings from -4 all the way to -20 on the processor to get to 75db.

An app won’t be too accurate, it won’t actually measure the subs as it cuts off below a certain frequency.

but yes, theoretically reference is 75db when playing test tones through your speakers.

I've never actually experienced this, I’ve had readings from -4 all the way to -20 on the processor to get to 75db.
I’m using Decibel X, I do actually have an SPL meter, it’s either in one of boxes in my cupboard that I haven’t got round to sorting out yet since moving in, or it could still be back at home.

Last edited:
I was using this test disc and not the receivers test tones, would using the receivers test tones be best and then manually adjust each speaker till all the speakers and the sub all read around 75dB at 0dB?

FE27F9B1-9A8D-45BA-9B59-BDC5C883E663.jpeg 9B9252A8-9CED-4D8D-A1D5-89FD29E5F8BA.jpeg
I have not got an Atmos setup so I just use the 5.1 and 7.1 test tones on the disc and ignore the .2, .4 etc..

Last edited:
I was using this test disc and not the receivers test tones, would using the receivers test tones be best and then manually adjust each speaker till all the speakers and the sub all read around 75dB at 0dB?

View attachment 1514362 View attachment 1514363
I have not got an Atmos setup so I just use the 5.1 and 7.1 test tones on the disc and ignore the .2, .4 etc..
Is that right how I’m doing it or is it best to use the receiver’s own test tone?, and just make sure that the master volume is at 0dB to check that each speaker reads at around 75dB on the SPL meter app through all 7 speakers plus the sub?

Is that right how I’m doing it or is it best to use the receiver’s own test tone?, and just make sure that the master volume is at 0dB to check that each speaker reads at around 75dB on the SPL meter app through all 7 speakers plus the sub?
??

Been a while since I’ve posted in this thread..
As we are now once again into the lighter nights, I’ve been thinking of getting two suitable boards cut to size to cover my two windows in the front room for when I’m sat on an evening watching a movie, but so that I am able to easily remove them once finished.
And so that they can serve two purposes,
1. Block out the light
And 2. Block out (or at least reduce any outside noise)

Any recommended thickness and type boards ?
Also, would acoustic foam on the boards help to block out/reduce outside noise?

Thanks,

Been a while since I’ve posted in this thread..
As we are now once again into the lighter nights, I’ve been thinking of getting two suitable boards cut to size to cover my two windows in the front room for when I’m sat on an evening watching a movie, but so that I am able to easily remove them once finished.
And so that they can serve two purposes,
1. Block out the light
And 2. Block out (or at least reduce any outside noise)

Any recommended thickness and type boards ?
Also, would acoustic foam on the boards help to block out/reduce outside noise?

Thanks,
Any recommendations?
Thanks,

Wouldn't room treatment foam be easier to fit to the windows and provide both desired effects?

Last edited:
Wouldn't room treatment foam be easier to fit to the windows and provide both desired effects?
I would prefer to cover the whole window and frame, the whole opening..

Thinking of blocking the two windows and putting acoustic foam on one or both sides of the boards.

What type of board and what thickness would be suitable ?
Thanks,

Would I be best of starting a new thread named something like soundproofing/blocking out light ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom