Question What's my best option to watch netflix using 5ghz

_Dragon_

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I have split up with my girlfriend and starting out fresh so at the moment i'm living in a shared house ran by the council it has great wifi speeds but the 2.4ghz side is not much good as there is something that cripples the speed, so when watching netflix sometimes it will drop to 480 then slowly creep up to 1080p. At the moment i'm using my Sony bluray player to watch netflix, as my tv is not a smart tv. What's my best way to connect to 5ghz I only want netflix.

Cheers

One of cheapest ways may be Firestick. I assume from your post that it's your Sony Blu Ray player that's throttled to 2.4ghz as you say the shared house has great speeds.

Yes it's the sony player that only connects to 2.4ghz, When i'm on my pc i can connect to 5ghz and I get a good stable speed around 60-70mbps.

So with a Firestick can that go into the usb on the bluray player?

So you don't have to spend any money, can you connect the PC to your TV? And watch Netflix that way?

If you decide to go the Firestick route, it would need to be plugged in to an HDMI socket in the TV and you'd also need to get power to it, usually via USB cable.

Paul

Like youngsp states, the firestick plugs straight into an HDMI on the TV but better to use it's external power supply and not USB depending on model.

So you don't have to spend any money, can you connect the PC to your TV? And watch Netflix that way?

If you decide to go the Firestick route, it would need to be plugged in to an HDMI socket in the TV and you'd also need to get power to it, usually via USB cable.

Paul

I did think about using my PC to my TV but with my computer on it's to dam noisy, I think it's the Firestick way, I only need a 1080p one 4k is not needed as I hope not to be in this shared house for to long.

Firestick will also give you access to other catch-up if you need. You will need an Amazon account but you don't have to sign up for Amazon video services.
Firestick is easily jailbroken for other services also.

Yes I have done and it seems to be fine, there would be nothing I can do anyway as the router is locked away in a office, as the council has a little room they use when they need to get on with things.

It's one of these Passive houses that is very secure with a electronic key to get into the house and room.

Do all the firesticks run on 5ghz, Want to make sure I get the right one.

They do. Currently on sale at 25 and 35(for the 4k which has a better processor)

They do. Currently on sale at 25 and 35(for the 4k which has a better processor)

Does the better processor have any influence on watching netflix?

Edit: How do you connect to the 5GHZ? Do you have options to connect to 2.4 or 5ghz, I'm asking because I obviously don't have access to the router.

Cheers

Last edited:
Connect the same as you did with your PC. If you only see one SSID, connect to it.

Connect the same as you did with your PC. If you only see one SSID, connect to it.

Cheers, I better get it from amazon incase I have trouble connecting to 5ghz I can send it back, Just been reading up on the firestick and 5ghz, seems alot of people have issues with the stick not going on to 5ghz, to solve it people are going into the router and turning off auto channel and selecting the channel, this is something I cant do.

Never had an issue. Mine is connected to 5Ghz without any issues. I guess many more people don't have an issue than ones reporting.

If you can. Try downloading a WiFi analyser from play/app store. Have a look at the 5Ghz spectrum and see what channel your WiFi is on. More than likely 36-48. If so then you should be good to go.

Never had an issue. Mine is connected to 5Ghz without any issues. I guess many more people don't have an issue than ones reporting.

I placed my order late yesterday and got it late today, Thats fast should of come Monday or Tuesday.

set it up connected to 5ghz so switched it off and then came back to it later on and it was on the 2.4 channel, so tried it again this time it has stayed on 5ghz but it's not very strong saying fair, that could be because the firestick is at the back of the tv. I do see it's on a different channel from my phone.

I have found the hidden menu so I can see the resolution when playing anything, so far it's been staying on 1080p.

A Big Thank You to You and Everyone Else:):thumbsup:

Checked this morning and the firestick was connected to the 2.4ghz network :( tried forgetting the network a couple of times but it wouldn't connect to 5ghz. Looked on my wifi scanner and it shows the router has now connected to channel 60 where last night it was channel 40.

I did a speed test on netflix and it did say I was getting 35mbps on the firestick on the 2.4ghz channel but on the bluray player I was getting 16mbps. So maybe when something messes with the signal I wont get netflix dropping down to 480.

Last edited:
Good luck. Have a look at Troypoint for info regarding side loading other services.

Oh, and are you using the small HDMI extender that came with the Firestick? I believe that is also supposed to improve WiFi reception.

Cheers will have a look at Troypoint.

I did use the extender when it was on 5ghz but it didn't make a difference , but if it continues to stay on the 2.4ghz I will try the extender again.

Cheers Again

Just a small update got home and it was still on 2.4ghz tested the speed on netflix I was getting 30mbps but when watching something the resolution kept on dropping, this time when I forgot the network it picked up 5.1ghz and its been ok.

I'm not really sure how it's all set up here, the main router is locked away then on each floor you have routers/repeaters on the wall.

If you can rename the ssid for the 5ghz to something different to the 2.4 forget the networks then connect to the new ssid for the 5 ghz you will force the firestick only to connect the the 5 ghz

If you can rename the ssid for the 5ghz to something different to the 2.4 forget the networks then connect to the new ssid for the 5 ghz you will force the firestick only to connect the the 5 ghz

Cheers, Unfortunately we don't have access to the router even a simple reboot means the council contact their IT department. No good for me because I don't have a microwave but I have seen on youtube someone starting the microwave to make it pick up the 5 ghz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom