What's New on Amazon Prime Video UK for August 2020 - news discussion

Will watch Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Plants just to see if i can spot a Triffid or 2 :D

Maybe it should be mentioned that none of the new titles will include either Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision. The fact of the mature is that Amazon now appear to hace ceased supporting these two elements altogether and don't even now facilitate Atmos or Dolby Vision in association with the content that previousluy included it. These titles were few, but the fact that you can no longer attain Atmos or Dolby Vision in association with them does suggest you'll not be getting anything else via Amazon that includes Atmos or Dolby Vision?

Amazon are the only streaming service that appears to have gone down this this particular road. Netflix, Disney and Apple all seem happy to offer support for and content ancoded with Atmos and Dolby Vision HDR.

Maybe it should be mentioned that none of the new titles will include either Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision. The fact of the mature is that Amazon now appear to hace ceased supporting these two elements altogether and don't even now facilitate Atmos or Dolby Vision in association with the content that previousluy included it. These titles were few, but the fact that you can no longer attain Atmos or Dolby Vision in association with them does suggest you'll not be getting anything else via Amazon that includes Atmos or Dolby Vision?

Amazon are the only streaming service that appears to have gone down this this particular road. Netflix, Disney and Apple all seem happy to offer support for and content ancoded with Atmos and Dolby Vision HDR.
I just checked on my Amazon.de account, & same thing. Jack Ryan & Carnival Row both had Atmos, now I see it nowhere.
I've emailed them & will post if I get any reply!

Official Secrets looks interesting. I had been planning to see it on BD but as with more and more releases these days it was quietly cancelled. Discs are not long for this world.

I just checked on my Amazon.de account, & same thing. Jack Ryan & Carnival Row both had Atmos, now I see it nowhere.
I've emailed them & will post if I get any reply!
Just got a reply from Amazon.de. They tried to call me first, but I don't pick up on unknown numbers as a strict rule.

I preferred it to talk to you in person and explain to you that we do not have this format unfortunately for a lot of content in Amazon Music.

We are unable to fix this because it is all about the licenses. I hope you understand and I am again sorry for the circumstances.

So it seems Amazon decided not to pay Dolby for access to Atmos or DV any longer

Official Secrets looks interesting. I had been planning to see it on BD but as with more and more releases these days it was quietly cancelled. Discs are not long for this world.

Depends upon whether or not you want access to content when you want, the quality you want from that content and whether or not you want the soundtrack format or HDR to suddenly change without explanation. I'd sumise the disc will remain as long as streaming services keep taking their subscribers for granted. GDR10+. I should also point out the fact that even if purchasing UHD titles, you cannot download them and you don't technically even own them.

THe decline of disc based media is as much about those adopting streaming services as an alternative being ill informed as it is about any convenience or cost nenefits associated with streaming. The facts of the matter are that you'll get poorer quality that you don't own anything and will eventually need to subscribe to 10 different services just to be able to access what you want to access at any one time.

You shouldn't be championing the streaming services unless those services are actually replacing like for like and I'd suggest that this will never be the case. The services will always be either looking after their own interests or serving the interests of the studios supplying them with content. If the streaming services took over and discs were made obsolete tomorrow then this would not be beneficial to any comsumer.

It is coming, but I'd not start hping for it to happen.

Last edited:
Just got a reply from Amazon.de. They tried to call me first, but I don't pick up on unknown numbers as a strict rule.

So it seems Amazon decided not to pay Dolby for access to Atmos or DV any longer

As I said, they've dropped the formats. What they mean is that HDR10+ is a lot cheaper so we decided to save ourselves some money. They obviously regard Atmos as having no importance at all.

Depends upon whether or not you want access to content when you want, the quality you want from that content and whether or not you want the soundtrack format or HDR to suddenly change without explanation. I'd sumise the disc will remain as long as streaming services keep taking their subscribers for granted. GDR10+. I should also point out the fact that even if purchasing UHD titles, you cannot download them and you don't technically even own them.

THe decline of disc based media is as much about those adopting streaming services as an alternative being ill informed as it is about any convenience or cost nenefits associated with streaming. The facts of the matter are that you'll get poorer quality that you don't own anything and will eventually need to subscribe to 10 different services just to be able to access what you want to access at any one time.

You shouldn't be championing the streaming services unless those services are actually replacing like for like and I'd suggest that this will never be the case. The services will always be either looking after their own interests or serving the interests of the studios supplying them with content. If the streaming services took over and discs were made obsolete tomorrow then this would not be beneficial to any comsumer.

It is coming, but I'd not start hping for it to happen.
Of course, not everyone has the money or interest to buy a lot of 4K discs. Another way to keep discs going in general is supporting the Disc Rental sights. If they do well, more reason for discs to keep being produced. We get a lot of our Movies that way.

As I said, they've dropped the formats. What they mean is that HDR10+ is a lot cheaper so we decided to save ourselves some money. They obviously regard Atmos as having no importance at all.
If I am around, I'll try & put it in the Q&A tonight.
Problem with Prime is people are paying for the free shipping & Twitch as well. More leverage with the pure streaming services.
I just emailed Bezos about this. Who knows, might get a reply! :)

Of course, not everyone has the money or interest to buy a lot of 4K discs. Another way to keep discs going in general is supporting the Disc Rental sights. If they do well, more reason for discs to keep being produced. We get a lot of our Movies that way.

The rental of discs simply propagate the copying and prating of them. I'd surmise that the studios would step in and eventually remoive their licensing and make it illegal to rent discs out so I don't see this option ever making a come back. The studios contro; the rental market anyone and the rights to rent the discs to anyone are those awarded to the vendor by the stidios. The content is often different to that which you'd get if buying it. Why would the studios continue to propagate disc rentals when they've a such a low cost money spinner such as streaming to rely upon? It should be pointed out that Netflix started out as a disc rental concern, but dropped that in order to become a streaming service. If discs demise then they'll die out completely and I doubt it will be a decision made by the consumer. The studios would love there to be no discs and for them to have ultimate control over the content they produce post production.

Consumers basically need more rights before the ability to own content on a disc meets its demise. Not to mention the issues relating to quality.

Last edited:
The thing on Amazon at the moment is "The Last Narc"

is there a link or a statement fron them on this?

Apart from the email reply received by Evinger then no.

I only became awate of the situation after noticing that a lot of people on different platforms were reporting the inability to access Atmos and or Dolby Vision in association with content I knew previously included it. My own investigations confirmed the absence of Atmos and Dolby Vision relative to the equipment I had at my disposal.

Apart from the email reply received by Evinger then no.

I only became awate of the situation after noticing that a lot of people on different platforms were reporting the inability to access Atmos and or Dolby Vision in association with content I knew previously included it. My own investigations confirmed the absence of Atmos and Dolby Vision relative to the equipment I had at my disposal.

Here's what I wrote:-
Dear Mr. Bezos,

I hope that reaching out to you about this may have some positive effect. I understand that Dolby charges a license fee for the use of Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, and as a Company that needs to make a profit, license fees need to be avoided whenever possible.

However, until recently, Jack Ryan, an excellent series, had an Atmos Soundtrack, but now it has been removed. This is very sad.
I can understand Prime avoiding any future releases to not incur a license fee, but to give & then take away is too harsh. The Atmos tracks added greatly to the immersion factor in this series.

And, if you DID reinstate Atmos on this or any other Series that previously had it, I would ask you stretch a license rule & add Atmos to the future Expanse releases; that series is custom made for Atmos!

And I just got a reply this morning:-

Hello Richard,

I'm Gabriel of Amazon's Tech Support Executive Customer Relations team. Jeff Bezos received your email and I'm responding on his behalf.

Thank you for making sure we're fully aware of your experience. It's feedback like yours that helps us continue to look for possible ways to improve the service we provide and we're glad you took the time to write to us. I've shared your comments with the appropriate team internally for their consideration.

Thanks for your interest in Prime Video.

Official Secret very good and Meg was all that you could want from a film that had Jason Stathom and a dinocroc.
Official Secrets is a superb film. Gives a real insight into how nasty and dishonest the state can be when it wants.

aa hair fish.jpg

And tell her to either spit the kissing gourami out or swallow it :laugh:

Just been looking and spotted Hell on Wheels flagged as a new series on Prime getting a score of 8.3 on IMDB. The main actor now Christopher Pike in Discovery and between the two roles played Black Bolt.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom