What's New on Disney+ UK for June 2020 - news discussion

Disney own Fox so they have plenty of adult content to hand, but they have decided to keep D+ a strictly kids only affair. They've even gone back and censored some of their older kids' content to make it extra clean.
shame we cant have a D+ Hulu bundle over here.

Is the bitrate back to normal for D+? I would like to get their free month to see if its worth it.

Stopped watching the new Star Wars because the resolution was awful. Not been back on since.

I doubt I'll renew. The classic back catalogue I can buy and there just isn't enough new content. I remember when I first got Netflix and it was one blockbuster binge after the next.

Add the bit rate issues I think I'd rather slowly build up my Marvel 4k collection.

Stopped watching the new Star Wars because the resolution was awful. Not been back on since.

I doubt I'll renew. The classic back catalogue I can buy and there just isn't enough new content. I remember when I first got Netflix and it was one blockbuster binge after the next.

Add the bit rate issues I think I'd rather slowly build up my Marvel 4k collection.
What do you mean by the resolution was bad it’s in 4K isn’t it ?

Can’t wait for Tinker bell and the fairy 🧚‍♂️ NOT! :rotfl:

No kids in my house either so this line up for June is just pure 💩 for me.
Subscription cancelled probably till next year me thinks...

Any update on when/if Disney will up the resolution and add atmos to the europe version?

That would never happen since it costs an estimated 150-200 million dollars.....they will release that in theaters first which is scheduled for November.

IMHO it is inevitable that Home Cinema takes over Cinemas....prob in next 5 years. The C19 virus may just speed it up. If a movie (like Bond) was offered to be streamed over a night for say £30 I would be all in. Imagine watching that with family and friends? They could also offer purchasing the film at a later date at a discount as you watched it earlier.

IMHO it is inevitable that Home Cinema takes over Cinemas....prob in next 5 years. The C19 virus may just speed it up. If a movie (like Bond) was offered to be streamed over a night for say £30 I would be all in. Imagine watching that with family and friends? They could also offer purchasing the film at a later date at a discount as you watched it earlier.

Will not happen. They will never make their money back on online streaming. You said yourself imagine watching with family and friends. A one time rental of £30 vs average cost per ticket pt £12. That is a £18 different if a family of four. You need over 8million to rent it if based on No Time To Die's production cost of £250million.And that is just based on production costs. There were still marketing costs to add to it as well. The biggest rental for big events are sports fighting ones and the biggest rental has been 7 million views. The cost to profit ratio is not enough to justify streaming big budget box office films and by pass the cinema.

I have to say even though the Disney back catalogue is pretty deep - even if mainly aimed at ‘kids’ there are a lot of classics from Marvel to Pixar which is worth having for such a low price. Also the added benefit of having it with you at all times via iPad/iPhone is useful for my 8yr old!!! I appreciate that this is not the case with everyone if you don’t have kids but as it is a rolling contract you can jump in and out as you please and £6 for a months access is a pretty good deal! The one thing that WILL keep customers is if the Dolby Atmos & 4k debacle is sorted.... this is becoming my major sticking point as I am avoiding to watch certain things (that I have paid for!) until they are in the quality that they have been advertised in.... no other streamer has throttled their bandwidth to such extremes.... come on Disney get it sorted!!!

I wouldn't say that it's been a massive hit seeing that Disne+ removed Dolby Vision & Atmos transmissions unnecessarily as even BT stated there is enough capacity to handle his resolution and sound.
What's Disney+'s excuse now that all other subscription platforms are transmitting in Dv/DA?!!!
Until such time, Disney+ adhere to their original promises of high transmissions, a lot of will not subscribe.
Actually, subscribers should ask for refund or cancel their subscriptions and very soon Disney+ will come to their senses.

National Geographic yes but no Air Crash Investigation... :(

I wouldn't say that it's been a massive hit seeing that Disne+ removed Dolby Vision & Atmos transmissions unnecessarily as even BT stated there is enough capacity to handle his resolution and sound.
What's Disney+'s excuse now that all other subscription platforms are transmitting in Dv/DA?!!!
Until such time, Disney+ adhere to their original promises of high transmissions, a lot of will not subscribe.
Actually, subscribers should ask for refund or cancel their subscriptions and very soon Disney+ will come to their senses.
Though I agree with you 100% in regards to subscribers cancelling due to not receiving the full product and even though at home Dolby Atmos has been around for 6’ish years with the release of the Marantz SR7009 we are still a niche market & the majority of subscribers will be parents for kids who probably couldn’t care less re picture/sound quality ☹️ So unless the whole of the AV enthusiast section of buyers cancel I doubt the machine that is Disney will care that much and will just be trying to save as much money as possible and use COVID-19 as an ‘excuse’ to limit the quality.... fingers crossed they do address it soon though as it has been 2 months now and it is not good customer services....

Well apart from the excellent mando, there’s only one paltry season of wicked tuna I want to watch. Too much crap I’m not interested in for me. It’s a shame that the history channel isn’t on. Ancient aliens and forged in fire are both great tv.
And these bitrate reductions are laughable and I worry if they’ll ever put them back.

Well apart from the excellent mando, there’s only one paltry season of wicked tuna I want to watch. Too much crap I’m not interested in for me. It’s a shame that the history channel isn’t on. Ancient aliens and forged in fire are both great tv.
And these bitrate reductions are laughable and I worry if they’ll ever put them back.
Ancient aliens like the ones on Netflix?

we have disney+ and not sure I'd pay for another year.

Will not happen. They will never make their money back on online streaming. You said yourself imagine watching with family and friends. A one time rental of £30 vs average cost per ticket pt £12. That is a £18 different if a family of four. You need over 8million to rent it if based on No Time To Die's production cost of £250million.And that is just based on production costs. There were still marketing costs to add to it as well. The biggest rental for big events are sports fighting ones and the biggest rental has been 7 million views. The cost to profit ratio is not enough to justify streaming big budget box office films and by pass the cinema.

Sorry for the late reply but what you are not factoring in here is the numbers who would actually watch the Bond movie over the first weekend for example. I would wager that you would get about 10 times as many people willing to download and watch the movie at home than goto the cinema to watch it....TBH it will probably be more.

Sorry for the late reply but what you are not factoring in here is the numbers who would actually watch the Bond movie over the first weekend for example. I would wager that you would get about 10 times as many people willing to download and watch the movie at home than goto the cinema to watch it....TBH it will probably be more.
I have to say I do agree to an extent - I think the problem with a movie franchise as big as bond you get a LOT of double dippers.... they go to the cinema then buy it for home use!

I am sure they would make enough money through home rentals for it to be a viable option but on the flip side I am sure that holding out a little longer so people can see it on the big screen would be more satisfying for most!

Now for ‘smaller’ films like ‘Trolls World Tour’ it made sense to releaseit on VOD as it would keep the kids happy and I would also bet that a few families would have rented it a few times to keep their kids happy!!!!!! ‘Scoob!’ is out in USA on VOD & I expect that to be released in the UK via that format and I am sure it will make it’s money on that format....

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom