What's new on Netflix UK for August 2020 - news discussion

I'm in my 40s, but the big kid in me is most looking forward to Wizards: Tales of Arcadia.
Trollhunters was fantastic, and 3Below, while not quite as good, was still excellent.

The Peanut Butter Falcon, highly recommend that to anyone that has not seen it, recently rented the disc of it and thought it was brilliant.

So more cartoons, post-apocalyptic dystopian-by-numbers, glorified dungeons and dragons and garbage about middle class Americans you don't care about having life crises.
Oh, and 30 odd year old films we've seen already.
Looks like service as usual then.
I'm increasingly wondering why I bother subscribing.

I only sign up for the odd month a few times each year, no need for a rolling sub I don't find. Binge the new stuff and/or the few things you've missed, and that will do.

Too much old content I have little interest in.

Can't knock that content though if you aren't bothered about watching things again.

The Peanut Butter Falcon, highly recommend that to anyone that has not seen it, recently rented the disc of it and thought it was brilliant.
It’s the only flick on the list that caught my attention.

So more cartoons, post-apocalyptic dystopian-by-numbers, glorified dungeons and dragons and garbage about middle class Americans you don't care about having life crises.

I subscribe for stuff like Ozark, The Eddy, Narcos Mexico, The Dark Crystal, GLOW, Snowpiercer and countless other big budget stuff they produce. The value for money is off the scale frankly.

I subscribe for stuff like Ozark, The Eddy, Narcos Mexico, The Dark Crystal, GLOW, Snowpiercer and countless other big budget stuff they produce. The value for money is off the scale frankly.
Their original films have some way to go though...

Their original films have some way to go though...

More miss than hit for sure, but there have been a few stand outs. Annihilation was excellent, Uncut Gems was really, really good, and there are plenty of very solid efforts such I've enjoyed - things like Okja, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, Marriage Story, The Laundromat, Triple Frontier, Dolemite is my Name, 22 July, and probably more I've forgotten about.

They're getting better.

And here I am trying hard to find in between the lines that they are upgrading their bitrate also........
Netflix 4k looks like a really good BD.

Just as well we have a load of programmes, films etc already bookmarked to view as nothing is jumping out to be added at the moment.

I'm in my 40s, but the big kid in me is most looking forward to Wizards: Tales of Arcadia.
Trollhunters was fantastic, and 3Below, while not quite as good, was still excellent.
Yep Kelsey Grammar was great loved watching them with my daughter

I only sign up for the odd month a few times each year, no need for a rolling sub I don't find. Binge the new stuff and/or the few things you've missed, and that will do.

Too much old content I have little interest in.

Can't knock that content though if you aren't bothered about watching things again.
Good value if you split between households though ;)

"6th August
The Rain
(Netflix Original Series, International: Danish, S3 - Final Season)"

Another series about a virus, just what we need right now :p

There are not many films me and the missus watch together, or at least she pays much attention to if we're in the same room. But this is a no brainer for us. Looks brilliant.

TBO, for me there is plenty I'm happy to sit and watch this month. Puts Disney+ to shame......I know not 100% comparable, but the lack of Nat Geo stuff is insulting.
Interested by project power and as for Piers Morgan meeting up with serial killers, there is only one outcome we all want to see there

Well we shouldn't really wish for that should we? ;);) But if it were to happen, it would brighten 2020 no end.

Last edited:
Not much of interest here for me. As a fairly recent Netflix subscriber there is still a lot to catch up on but suspect once we’ve done that then will only subscribe periodically to catch up on things and then stop again. Lucifer is probably the only thing of interest here. But I‘m going to be heretical and say that seasons 1 to 3 were better than 4!

I really don’t understand the negative review of venom. Seems critics pan it but viewers love it, so definitely do watch. The dialogue (internal monologue?) between venom and his host human are very funny throughout and while the story might not be shawshank, there’s some touching moments, plenty of decent action and Loads of humour to make it an enjoyable film. The humour definitely gives it plenty of reply value too IMHO and I’ve watched it back several times.

Regardless whether the content is crap, it's only £8.99 per month. Surely there has to be 1 or even 2 movies that catches your eyes otherwise you are better off renting a film from iTunes (at least you're paying for content you want to see).

I remember days when I paid £3 (if not more) to rent a film at Blockbusters for 2 nights yet now we have hundreds of films for peanuts and people can't find any content worth watching.This is what often happens when we have too many choices in life, whether it's food, films, music etc; we just become picky about almost everything.

July was a decent month for me which I saw; Searching, Last Dance, Fallout, Old Guard, Extraction and now due to watch Good Girls season 3 with Umbrella Academy season 2 coming this week.

Have you watched any of the excellent foreign language series?

Regardless whether the content is crap, it's only £8.99 per month. Surely there has to be 1 or even 2 movies that catches your eyes otherwise you are better off renting a film from iTunes (at least you're paying for content you want to see).

I remember days when I paid £3 (if not more) to rent a film at Blockbusters for 2 nights yet now we have hundreds of films for peanuts and people can't find any content worth watching.This is what often happens when we have too many choices in life, whether it's food, films, music etc; we just become picky about almost everything.

July was a decent month for me which I saw; Searching, Last Dance, Fallout, Old Guard, Extraction and now due to watch Good Girls season 3 with Umbrella Academy season 2 coming this week.
£11.99 for 4K, £8.99 for HD or do you get a better deal than me? :)

I really don’t understand the negative review of venom. Seems critics pan it but viewers love it, so definitely do watch. The dialogue (internal monologue?) between venom and his host human are very funny throughout and while the story might not be shawshank, there’s some touching moments, plenty of decent action and Loads of humour to make it an enjoyable film. The humour definitely gives it plenty of reply value too IMHO and I’ve watched it back several times.
Enjoyed the bass heavy sound track too!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom