What's new on Netflix UK for June 2020 - news discussion

Right now if anything 'American' appears on my screen I switch it off, with a few exceptions. Until they get rid of the idiot in charge I don't want anything to do with the USA and its endless stream of production line "product" which dominates the airwaves. There are alternative sources of entertainment.

What a bizarre attitude. Oh well, your loss.

Nevermind CBA

Last edited:
It's listed and sold as 4K, so if it's 1440p that would an issue for trading standards and illegal.
It states 4K on many titles in the app. If it isn't 4K, they're breaking the law, which seems rather unlikely for Disney.
Disney+ is streaming '4K' content at 2560x1440p so you're right it isn't 4K (3840 x 2160p), despite being labelled as such.

They are also streaming HD content at 720p. Which use to be known as the 'HD Ready' resolution as opposed to full HD ie 1080p.

I'd also be interested in what trading standards think on the matter. I doubt anything would get done about it though.

Disney+ is streaming '4K' content at 2560x1440p so you're right it isn't 4K (3840 x 2160p), despite being labelled as such.

They are also streaming HD content at 720p. Which use to be known as the 'HD Ready' resolution as opposed to full HD ie 1080p.

I'd also be interested in what trading standards think on the matter. I doubt anything would get done about it though.

How do you know this? I've read nothing about this other than reduced bitrate.

They have also downgraded numerous films from 4K down to HD. The Pixar Cars films and Toy Story 2 amongst others.

We've been discussing it since just after the launch day on the Disney+ thread. Several AVForum members, including myself, have contacted Disney+ about it and have been brushed off with the 'Because Coronavirus' excuse by Disney+ Customer Services in India.

Read this article that came out the day after Disney+ launched in the UK:

I've seen that article before but they have no evidence to back it up, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

From my own observations it's obvious that the bitrate is much lower than other services, but I haven't seen the US version so I can't compare. As for the resolution the only oddity I've noticed so far was on The Phantom Menace, which is obviously 1080p despite being listed as 4K, but then it may well have been a 2K DI. I watched Rise of Skywalker and I didn't see any obvious lack of resolution, just a lot of compression artefacts.

Give the Disney+ streaming service launches in UK thread a read, if you've got a bit of time to spare. Quite a few AVForums members on there stating that their TV or streaming device indicates that Disney+ 4K is 2560x1440p and HD is 720p.

Right now if anything 'American' appears on my screen I switch it off, with a few exceptions. Until they get rid of the idiot in charge I don't want anything to do with the USA and its endless stream of production line "product" which dominates the airwaves. There are alternative sources of entertainment.
I wish folks would do the same for the tax doging companies like Starbucks too. The pics of the zombie masses queuing for a sodding crappy 'burger' from a chain that allegedly used to have supported the IRA is embarrassing.
Is that what we've become? We need a stronger virus.
Unbelievable.

Do we know if the bit rate has gone back to pre-Covid level, that's holding me back signing up for another month.

I watched something last night on Netflix and it was only 0.80Mbps throughout, so I certainly hope not. I'll want to know why I'm getting substandard streaming if it has gone back to normal. Mid tier HD subscription btw and I usually get around 5-6Mbps normally.

Last edited:
You've just said a post should be reported because it's in bad taste on another thread. Then you say this? That's the trouble with calling for censorship. You can't pick and choose.
Hardly the same as what that other guy posted though is it? A flippant remark about the mentality of people vs THAT.

I watched something last night on Netflix and it was only 0.8Mbps throughout, so I certainly hope not. I'll want to know why I'm getting substandard streaming if it has gone back to normal. Mid tier HD subscription btw.
I don't want to compromise on picture quality, so no hurry to get back to Netflix and I'm not a Netflix addict, most of the TV series are not good and the movies, seen most when they came on Blu-Ray. Had a HD sub.

Almost agree. I think youre right in saying there's far too much cookie-cutter product (it certainly isn't 'art'), but to dismiss anything from the US is probably a little too broad...

Am watching S1 & S2 of Dark again in preparation for S3. PQ is not quite as good (IMO) as it was the first time I saw it, as there's definitely more blocking in the dark scenes but it might just be variations in my internet speed (have two teenagers who seem to stream 24/7)...getting Atmos though, which is nice

Hope S3 wraps it up satisfactorily and we don't have a "Lost" style cop-out

Am watching S1 & S2 of Dark again in preparation for S3. PQ is not quite as good (IMO) as it was the first time I saw it, as there's definitely more blocking in the dark scenes but it might just be variations in my internet speed (have two teenagers who seem to stream 24/7)...getting Atmos though, which is nice

Because the bitrate has been cut in half.

I think Netflix still has the bit rate limit in place. Don’t know why, it was only supposed to be for a month, and more and more people are leaving lockdown now.

I think Netflix still has the bit rate limit in place. Don’t know why, it was only supposed to be for a month, and more and more people are leaving lockdown now.

It's probably saving them a fortune. I don't expect it will go back to the way it was for years, if ever.

It's probably saving them a fortune. I don't expect it will go back to the way it was for years, if ever.

They’ll get cancelled subs if they don’t raise the bit rate back to normal levels, including mine. I’m not paying for substandard streaming quality indefinitely.

They’ll get cancelled subs if they don’t raise the bit rate back to normal levels, including mine. I’m not paying for substandard streaming quality indefinitely.

Most people watch Netflix on telephones and on tiny, low quality LCDs. They won't have noticed any difference.

I'm not making an excuse for them, but I suspect that will be their conclusion. For what it's
worth I think Netflix is still pretty watchable. The compression on Disney+ on the other hand is off the scale.

Looking forward to Dark season 3 and The Order season 2
I love Dark. Wasn't sure if the final season could live up to the first two seasons but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ending also wasn't a let down like on some shows.

Looking forward to the future project provisionally called 1899 set in 1899 on a ship from London to New York from the two creators of Dark.

I love Dark. Wasn't sure if the final season could live up to the first two seasons but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ending also wasn't a let down like on some shows.

Looking forward to the future project provisionally called 1899 set in 1899 on a ship from London to New York from the two creators of Dark.
I hadn’t heard of 1899 ... cheers for the heads up :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom