Answered What's the best 4K HDR Blu-Ray to show family & friends ?

Ewoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks ..

Personally, I’m a big fan of Ready Player One, and Life of Pi. The effects in the former are just amazing in 4k, and the colours in the latter are eye popping. Also, if you can get hold of Coco, that looks fab too.

I'd second Life of Pi, especially the jumpy-whale bit. It's only a 2k DI, which some would dismiss as 'not true 4k' but it's stunning.

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 is true 4K (shot in 4K and from a 4K digital intermediate), as is Passengers, and Interstellar.

All sci-fi, sure, but if you want to inspire awe it's the best place to start. GOTG2 is my go-to demo disc. Image-wise it's the closest to perfect I've ever seen. I wouldn't recommend Life Of Pi as some have further up as it's fake 4K (upscaled from 2K), so not going to show off that extra detail. I won't deny it's colourful, though.

John's suggestion of A Beautiful Planet is also a good one, though I wasn't as impressed with it as some were. GOTG2 looks a lot better, IMO.

Pacific Rim will blow their socks off, it's an all-out assault on your eyes and ears.

Blade Runner 2049 is pretty amazing

Planet Earth II, simply stunning in 4K HDR Ultra Blu-ray.

Funny that as someone posted in the Xbox section saying they had just bought an OLED and found the UHD of Planet Earth II barely any different to the Blu-ray.

Funny that as someone posted in the Xbox section saying they had just bought an OLED and found the UHD of Planet Earth II barely any different to the Blu-ray.

That shocked me!!

as good as the bd is, the HDR imo is stunning; however there some shots that are from inferior cameras which is noticeable

Planet Earth II, simply stunning in 4K HDR Ultra Blu-ray.
It really is. I believe most work was filmed higher than 4K. Surprised at the xbox comment but there we are.

2001 is good, really good, but I still think the two from BBC (Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II) are superlative and whilst I would use 2001 for films, the what it can do well, back to Planet Earth II.

One of the big draws for me with this is the various parts of the world it is filmed in, there is a wide variety of scenes with differing animals and what they are up to on show and a lot of it eye popping good.

I'd throw John Wick 2 into the mix, thought that was decent in HDR!

It may not be everyone's cup of tea but, The Batman Lego Movie in 4K looks absolutely amazing. The colours are outstanding. One of my go to 4K discs for wowing friends.

Can we petition the BBC to get the name changed to this?
I have always thought there needs to be better names.
2001 becomes "Monkeys get influenced by an alien block and become clever monkeys and chuck spaceships at planets"

PEII does show up all the various textures well with all the different habitats, it is a quite a wide range of colour and detail and various light levels to chuck at a player and TV to come out well.

On that note, I have not seen Dynasties on disk yet but the trial on iPlayer looked like another one to hold up there.

Need to revisit a few discs since I've settled on new settings but for film clarity Sully is hard to beat.

Agree with many above, 2001 (looks fantastic), Dunkirk looks very nice too, I think the one I noticed most was Murder on the Orient Express, stunning disc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom