Question What's the best budget 43/49" IPS for a wide, bright room?

djsarcher

Novice Member
Reaction score
Folks I'd appreciate some help. Having read through other threads I think I'm looking for an IPS display as the room the TV will be in is wide. I'm coming from an LG 32" LN5400 FHD which has died (backlight) and doesn't seem economical to repair.

Main viewing is Netflix, Youtube, and Blu-Ray, some older DVDs but infrequently. Some lights are always on when the TV is used, and the room gets quite bright in daytime which made it difficult to see the image on the previous screen.

Trying to keep the budget to £600 if possible - much more and I'll find it hard to justify compared to my wife's preferred option of the Samsung Frame 43" (due to looks and the art mode).

I've been looking at some suitable options from LG and Sony
Sony 43/49 XF70
LG 49SK8000
LG 43/49 UK6400

The Sony seems like it might offer a slightly brighter display than either of the LG's, and I can't tell if there will be much difference in quality between the two LGs?

I realise this is the budget end and so I'm not looking at the best, but I reckon anything is going to be an upgrade on the old screen. I'll be waiting until Black Friday to purchase - should I just get the cheapest IPS display I can find?

Panasonic FX range also worth considering.

Folks I'd appreciate some help. Having read through other threads I think I'm looking for an IPS display as the room the TV will be in is wide. I'm coming from an LG 32" LN5400 FHD which has died (backlight) and doesn't seem economical to repair.

Main viewing is Netflix, Youtube, and Blu-Ray, some older DVDs but infrequently. Some lights are always on when the TV is used, and the room gets quite bright in daytime which made it difficult to see the image on the previous screen.

Trying to keep the budget to £600 if possible - much more and I'll find it hard to justify compared to my wife's preferred option of the Samsung Frame 43" (due to looks and the art mode).

I've been looking at some suitable options from LG and Sony
Sony 43/49 XF70
LG 49SK8000
LG 43/49 UK6400

The Sony seems like it might offer a slightly brighter display than either of the LG's, and I can't tell if there will be much difference in quality between the two LGs?

I realise this is the budget end and so I'm not looking at the best, but I reckon anything is going to be an upgrade on the old screen. I'll be waiting until Black Friday to purchase - should I just get the cheapest IPS display I can find?

I believe is better the LG 49SK8000 with its 10 bit panel and its excellent O.S..

Thanks, looks like the FX650 is within my price bracket, FX700 might be doable in sales. Reviews seem harder to find though.

The “lower” models get reviews very late, if at all.

From what I know, the FX700 will be similar to the upper model LG, and better than the Sony you listed - but crucially only with hdr content where the wide colour gamut comes into play.

If you don’t plan on watching hdr then get a relatively cheap LG, mainly as it has a good OS.

Thanks zeppelino, I don't have any expectations of real HDR at this price, so I'm mostly ignoring any claims on the spec sheet.

I found a review of the FX700 here : Panasonic FX700 review - FlatpanelsHD

Not exactly a glowing review, but partly due to the switch to IPS. Overall it seems like the Sony XF70 might be the brightest panel at the low end.

The plus point of the Panasonic though is that they are the slimmest of the options so wall mounting will look nicer.

I'm also confused by the LG's RGBW panels being different to other RGB panels. I'm assuming this is what enables them to make the cheaper screens, but will need to go and take a look at some to see if it bothers me.

Thanks zeppelino, I don't have any expectations of real HDR at this price, so I'm mostly ignoring any claims on the spec sheet.

I found a review of the FX700 here : Panasonic FX700 review - FlatpanelsHD

Not exactly a glowing review, but partly due to the switch to IPS. Overall it seems like the Sony XF70 might be the brightest panel at the low end.

The plus point of the Panasonic though is that they are the slimmest of the options so wall mounting will look nicer.

I'm also confused by the LG's RGBW panels being different to other RGB panels. I'm assuming this is what enables them to make the cheaper screens, but will need to go and take a look at some to see if it bothers me.

Here is a full explanation:

RGB vs. RGBW LCD and the 4K Ultra HD Designation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

To be honest you need to look for RGB IPS screens for the best picture quality.

RGBW really has been designed for power consumption targets imposed on the manufacturers, they use a lot less power than RGB screens on average but at the expense of picture quality and texture detail, RGBW looks a lot softer and less detail is apparent, similar to 1080P on a 4K screen.

Black Friday is the best time to buy.

Thanks for the link, that's a really helpful look at the difference in the cheaper LG sets. I think i'll be looking out for deals on the LG 49SK8000/SK81000 (i think this is a standard RGB panel) or the Sony 49XF70.

Unfortunately the XF75 with Android TV is limited to Currys PC World which i'd rather not buy from as i'd like the longer warranties from John Lewis or Richer Sounds.

With your needs of a TV that does well in a light room I'd look at the Samsung 49 or 55 NU8000 as a minimum.

If you need wider viewing angles then look at the LG SK8000/SK8100 mentioned already, they do well with reflections compared to the others on your shortlist.

The Panasonic models are likely to be good too if you need wide viewing angles but I'm not sure they come with the good anti reflection filters the LGs do.

With LG this year it depends on size, last year all were RGBW.
Ooh ok, think I'd better make a trip to a store then and see if I can check visually - i'd been using this table (LG 2018 TV line-up - full overview - FlatpanelsHD) as a reference. I've noticed the 49SK8000 is 60Hz vs 120Hz for the larger sizes, so it there's a chance its also not RGB.

With your needs of a TV that does well in a light room I'd look at the Samsung 49 or 55 NU8000 as a minimum.

If you need wider viewing angles then look at the LG SK8000/SK8100 mentioned already, they do well with reflections compared to the others on your shortlist.

Thanks, I've not looked at the Samsung much as I'd assumed its a VA panel and the TV will be viewed probably up to 30-35 degrees off axis.

I hadn't considered the reflection handling much (largely since the old TV wasn't that bright so mostly needed blinds/curtains closed to watch) so that's a helpful tip!

30-35 degrees is pushing it on a VA panel but as long as thats a seating position that isn't the main one and it doesn't matter so much whether the TV looks its best at that angle compared to directly in front the NU8000 is your best bet.

Otherwise I would go for a TV with an IPS panel like the Panasonic or LGs mentioned already. Sony also do some good TVs with IPS panels like the 49" XF80 or XF83 series.

49 - S-IPS (RGB)
Thanks for the link, will definitely be keeping an eye on prices for the SK8000.

30-35 degrees is pushing it on a VA panel but as long as thats a seating position that isn't the main one and it doesn't matter so much whether the TV looks its best at that angle compared to directly in front the NU8000 is your best bet.

I'll see if I can find the NU8000 in a shop to check the viewing angles, thanks. From rtings review it certainly seems to reach a much higher brightness than the LG model I'm looking at.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom