Wheelchairs

Lee

Reaction score
My father in law needs a wheelchair. I've rang a local mobility shop and prices for a self propelled one are from £330. On eBay they start from £63 (VAT exempt). Has anyone bought one from eBay and were they any good?

Thanks

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Has he used a self-propelled chair before?

Have purchased transport wheelchairs from Amazon not eBay.

I have also had to return one to Amazon too without issue (it was an XL and was to big) but had to pay postage.

Are the breaks easily reachable?
Are you going to fold this up and put it in a vehicle?
Do you need handle brakes if he needs someone to push?
Looking at the thumbnail in that link - it has no side guards i.e. between the arm and seat is open.
Does it have a seat belt?
Do you need a wheelchair cushion?

My father in law needs a wheelchair. I've rang a local mobility shop and prices for a self propelled one are from £330. On eBay they start from £63 (VAT exempt). Has anyone bought one from eBay and were they any good?

Thanks
Self propelled or attendant propelled? I assume attendant propelled and it is to be used when he's out and about?

Definitely no other option? Would he benefit from a tri wheeled walker or 4 wheeled walker instead.

Is his wife/partner going to be pushing him? Can she manage it? Will she be putting it into a car? Will she be able to lift it?

How bad is his mobility? Will he be able to get out of the house to use the wheelchair?

So many questions. If he 'needs' one then the physiotherapy service could provide one free of charge. They should also be able to provide a mobility assessment to ensure he has the most appropriate mobility equipment, they will also ensure it is the correct size etc?

The main question to know the answer to is what does your father in law want? Does he want a wheelchair?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Has he used a self-propelled chair before?

Have purchased transport wheelchairs from Amazon not eBay.

I have also had to return one to Amazon too without issue (it was an XL and was to big) but had to pay postage.

Are the breaks easily reachable?
Are you going to fold this up and put it in a vehicle?
Do you need handle brakes if he needs someone to push?
Looking at the thumbnail in that link - it has no side guards i.e. between the arm and seat is open.
Does it have a seat belt?
Do you need a wheelchair cushion?
Looks like there's more to getting one than meets the eye.

He hasn't used a wheelchair before.
It will be folded to put in the car
At times, someone will need to push him especially to hospital where the department is miles away from the car park.
I'd have ask them about seat belt
We have a suitable cushion

The main question to know the answer to is what does your father in law want? Does he want a wheelchair?
He does want one. It surprised us when he asked.
So many questions. If he 'needs' one then the physiotherapy service could provide one free of charge. They should also be able to provide a mobility assessment to ensure he has the most appropriate mobility equipment, they will also ensure it is the correct size etc?
Funnily enough he had a visit yesterday and he can have a wheelchair free of charge but there is a 12 month waiting list.
How bad is his mobility? Will he be able to get out of the house to use the wheelchair?
Pretty bad to be honest. We can't see how he's going to self propel himself but it something he wants
Is his wife/partner going to be pushing him? Can she manage it? Will she be putting it into a car? Will she be able to lift it?
No partner. It will be us putting it into the car.

We can't see how he's going to self propel himself but it something he wants

He wants to be independent - you should buy both.

Our local Morrison and ASDA have wheelchairs for customers - let him practice and see how he is outside and getting to/from a vehicle.

Check also for break pads on the chairs - the current one we have just rotate when it gets eroded but never found spares. Check for footrests that detach.

Can he actually walk e.g. for the toilet?

One thing about pushing a chair - the attendant should check it for their height. First one we had was a bit too low for me.

Have you thought of contacting your local Red Cross loans dept, they should be able to help you out to try some. I transport both large and small wheel wheel chairs but there again I drop my back seats and put them in through the back door as my scooter is in the boot.

Check how easy it is to fold as some can be a problem and if you can try it in your car to make sure it's easy to get in and out of the boot.

Good luck

Funnily enough he had a visit yesterday and he can have a wheelchair free of charge but there is a 12 month waiting list.
Who from? Google 'wheelchair services' for your county. Even if they can't supply they should be able to assess his needs & recommend something.

I'd be wary about buying from Ebay unless they have a guaranteed return policy. This is very much a situation where you will probably want to try before you buy, possibly more than once.

Have you considered a second-hand one?
Gives you the option to try one without huge expense.
I agree it needs to fit both him and the attendant.

Wow! I'm surprised at that.

Red Cross do a wheelchair hire. Contact them to try one out first.

What is the access to his property like? Steps, upvc door threshold, level? The local authority should be able to provide adaptations to help with regard to this. However, they might not do a ramp (if one is needed) if the wheelchair is self purchased.

Does he have a blue badge, if not then apply for one.

Can he actually walk e.g. for the toilet?
Barely. The lady that came out yesterday is sending us contact info for another department to see if he can have a downstairs toilet fitted.
Who from? Google 'wheelchair services' for your county. Even if they can't supply they should be able to assess his needs & recommend something.
Occupational therapy from Birmingham City Council.
Have you considered a second-hand one?
Gives you the option to try one without huge expense.
I agree it needs to fit both him and the attendant.
Second hand is an option and one we are looking at locally.

Wow! I'm surprised at that.

Red Cross do a wheelchair hire. Contact them to try one out first.

What is the access to his property like? Steps, upvc door threshold, level? The local authority should be able to provide adaptations to help with regard to this. However, they might not do a ramp (if one is needed) if the wheelchair is self purchased.

Does he have a blue badge, if not then apply for one.
It shocked us but with the cuts the council have made it's unfortunately not surprising

A single step up to the front door. In the past the council have done some adaptations to his house and are now adding risers to his chairs. She did say they would probably fit a ramp (different department again) and I'll ask about self purchasing of a wheelchair.

He does have a blue badge.

I'll contact the Red Cross

Last edited:
Occupational therapy from Birmingham City Council.
Looks like the wait they may be referring to is for formal assessment rather than supply. Have a look at this:

Even if there's a wait get the referral in, assuming he qualifies, unless OT have referred him already? Even if they have it wouldn't hurt to check he's in the system. Unfortunately disability aids are hugely expensive to buy new yet apparently near worthless when trying to sell.

Looks like the wait they may be referring to is for formal assessment rather than supply. Have a look at this:

Even if there's a wait get the referral in, assuming he qualifies, unless OT have referred him already? Even if they have it wouldn't hurt to check he's in the system. Unfortunately disability aids are hugely expensive to buy new yet apparently near worthless when trying to sell.
OT have referred him. Good shout with checking he is in the system because he has already been 'lost' in the system

It shocked us but with the cuts the council have made it's unfortunately not surprising

A single step up to the front door. In the past the council have done some adaptations to his house and are now adding risers to his chairs. She did say they would probably fit a ramp (different department again) and I'll ask about self purchasing of a wheelchair.

He does have a blue badge.

I'll contact the Red Cross
Physio is usually an NHS service not local authority. 12 months sounds like it would be the waiting list for assessment rather than supply.

Remember that wheelchairs are covered by the VAT Exemption Policy which means they are zero rated. Some retailers particularly online and Amazon in particular are really bad at not making this clear.

Last edited:
No partner. It will be us putting it into the car.
Barely. The lady that came out yesterday is sending us contact info for another department to see if he can have a downstairs toilet fitted.

Does he live by himself?

Physio is usually an NHS service not local authority. 12 months sounds like it would be the waiting list for assessment rather than supply.
Sorry, yes the OT has referred him to physio for the wheelchair and the wait is too see them. It does say 6 months wait on the link RBZ provided so it might be earlier than the 12 months she thought.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom