When will a coronavirus vaccine be ready ?

They need to print something.

28 yrs old Brazilian volunteer of Oxford vaccine trial dies of covid complications

Statement of Brazil's public health regulatory agency:

In relation to the death of the Oxford vaccine testing volunteer, Anvisa was formally informed of this fact on October 19, 2020. Data related to the investigation carried out by the International Safety Assessment Committee was shared with the Agency. It is important to highlight that, based on the ethical confidentiality commitments provided for in the protocol, the regulatory agencies involved receive partial data related to the investigation carried out by this committee, which they suggested to continue the study, so the process remains under evaluation.
Therefore, Anvisa reiterates that, according to national and international regulations on Good Clinical Practice, data on clinical research volunteers must be kept confidential, in accordance with the principles of confidentiality, human dignity and protection of participants.
Anvisa is committed to complying with these regulations, in order to ensure the privacy of volunteers and also the country's reliability for carrying out studies of such relevance.
The Agency has fulfilled, and will fulfill its institutional mission to protect the health of the Brazilian population.

Last edited:
This is certainly unwelcome news and our thoughts should be with the family and this brave volunteer who has sadly paid the ultimate price for vaccine testing.

It would be useful to know more details; age, reason for death, existing health conditions etc, i.e was their death a direct or indirect consequence of the vaccine?

Or was their death no relation to the vaccine at all?

Given what we know of the Oxford vaccine, probably not at all. It doesn't contain anything that could give you COVID. "Hopefully"

This is certainly unwelcome news and our thoughts should be with the family and this brave volunteer who has sadly paid the ultimate price for vaccine testing.

It would be useful to know more details; age, reason for death, existing health conditions etc, i.e was their death a direct or indirect consequence of the vaccine?

Looks like he was given the placebo.

Last edited:
Yeah this is nothing to be concerned about from what I've read.

Sad of course someone has died, but it doesn't look related to the vaccine in a way that would cause concern.

Yeah this is nothing to be concerned about from what I've read.

Sad of course someone has died, but it doesn't look related to the vaccine in a way that would cause concern.
Thank heavens that there’s plenty of vaccinologists on Twitter nowadays so those tabloid headlines don’t terrify the public unnecessarily!

You could give them a used jelly bean and they would find a conspiracy.

I can see the twitter feeds now " Meningitis vaccination causes COVID" :facepalm:

I am on Novavax as well.

I can see the twitter feeds now " Meningitis vaccination causes COVID" :facepalm:
It is same thing that, over time, results in major incidents like Hillsborough except it was not believing anything could happen for decades in that case.

You can exit the program to get the working vaccine (or any personal reason), after all it is voluntary.
The staff really appreciate the volunteers and the vaccine manufacturer could still use the information gathered up to that point.
It is something I would take time to think through though.
I would probably talk it through with someone involved with the program to make sure it is a good decision.
I just stumbled across this article in which a virology professor says that the doctrine of Original Antigenic Sin might mean those who are given an ineffective vaccine will subsequently not respond to a superior version due to imprinting 😬

Thankfully other doctors don’t think that’ll be applicable to coronaviruses though.

Would that only apply to vaccines that work the same way?

I am on Novavax as well.
Wish I knew which I had, placebo or vaccine.

I felt fine after but then stuff plays in your head and you are like do I feel fine etc.

Guess I will find out in under 12months time.

@damianmcr - It is a double blind, so the volunteer and the person dealing with them and, as I remember, even the person doing the injection don't know.
This is so the volunteer doesn't pick up on body language etc. which could skew the results.

So there is news coming out that the vaccine could be rolled out to NHS staff within weeks, I also bet that the roll out also starts at the same time in carehomes and the elderly with the spin that you can go and see granny/grandpa for Xmas

Vaccinating NHS frontline staff first is important for health care, not just Corona health care.
How about police, firefighters etc?
Difficult decisions for someone.

So there is news coming out that the vaccine could be rolled out to NHS staff within weeks, I also bet that the roll out also starts at the same time in carehomes and the elderly with the spin that you can go and see granny/grandpa for Xmas

Sounds a bit rushed if it’s out soon, don’t think I’d be the first to take it, normally takes years of trials before being rolled out.

Would that only apply to vaccines that work the same way?
Sounds like that is a question which has yet to be answered... perhaps @starfarer or @acatweasel might be able to clarify...

...A growing body of evidence suggests that sometimes our immune systems simply don’t follow the instructions a vaccine tries to give them — that is, make antibodies to fight a particular H3N2 or H1N1 virus. The reason? We all have flu baggage that shapes the way our immune systems respond to both infections and vaccines.

...That raises an important question: Does vaccination imprint the immune system in the same way as infection? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends flu vaccine for all children aged 6 months and older. Flu vaccines now contain protection against two flu A viruses and the two B lineages. If a young child’s first exposure to flu is vaccine, not infection, will that child’s immune system imprint on all four viruses?

The short answer is no one knows.

I think the part you've quoted answers Trollslayer's question ie no one knows. To me on quick read the Original antigenic sin theory is like very similar to T cells cross reactivity. The immune system is able to identify one or some part of epitope/strain from past infection of similar strain but instead of treating the new one as noble, the immune response is for "memory" (imprint) infection which may not be an optimal or an accurate response. Common cold symptoms to fight covid19 could be suboptimal response from our immune system due to family of viruses sharing many epitopes. Whether circulating human coronaviruses share enough key epitopes with SARS2 to invoke this effect is another question. There is also doubts on origin of SARS2 with most creditable studies pointing to an evolutionary process rather than antigenic shift of original SARS, MERS or any other known coronavirus.

I think the part you've quoted answers Trollslayer's question ie no one knows. To me on quick read the Original antigenic sin theory is like very similar to T cells cross reactivity. The immune system is able to identify one or some part of epitope/strain from past infection of similar strain but instead of treating the new one as noble, the immune response is for "memory" (imprint) infection which may not be an optimal or an accurate response. Common cold symptoms to fight covid19 could be suboptimal response from our immune system due to family of viruses sharing many epitopes. Whether circulating human coronaviruses share enough key epitopes with SARS2 to invoke this effect is another question. There is also doubts on origin of SARS2 with most creditable studies pointing to an evolutionary process rather than antigenic shift of original SARS, MERS or any other known coronavirus.
Yeah, what he said. :thumbsdow

Mr. Trollslayer, what were you referring to in your question? The fact that a previous exposure to one vaccine may mean that your body didn't react to an improved vaccine?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom