When will the clapping stop?

Ding Dang

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm 100 % behind the NHS and all the staff who are on the front line, putting their lives at risk. When I first saw the clapping from the balconies in Italy it bought a tear to my eye. When I stood in our street, surrounded by our neighbours, some of whom we never really see, it bought a tear to my eye. But as we reach the 5th clap, I'm wonderng if we are diluting it's meaning, and does it really do anything? There are no NHS workers in our street, so those who we clap for don't hear it. If there WHERE any, they'd either be at work, or trying to sleep, or training for the next Tik Tok video.
So WHEN will the clapping stop? Who will be brave enough to make that call? Do you actually feel pressure to do it? Do you clap for 2 or 3 minutes, because you don't want to be the first to stop?
It's a tricky one.

Yes, a tricky one.

The first two times we did the necessary, but then thought it was over-playing and becoming media driven.

We have a great deal of respect for those who put their life on the line for the country and for others. Prefer the stoic option - after all many other jobs are life threatening at times.

I did it twice and stopped. Still a few of the neighbours out doing it. We only have 2 NHS workers in the street that I know of and I'm friendly with both of them. I know one of them thought it was nice the first couple of weeks and now couldn't give a toss. Their attitude to it is "if people really want to thank me for what I do then stop being F***ING STUPID and stay at home"

I expect to see a lot of morons, packed like sardines on Westminster bridge again, this evening.

Totally agree with the OP. I didn't clap last week, I think it really only needed to be done the first 2/3 weeks. With the NHS coping and not overwhelmed as feared I think it will stop in the next week or 2, or someone will suggest we all clap for care home workers instead seeing as that is the new flavour of the week.

In a similar vein is the daily death announcements where politicians feel the need to say "have sadly died, each one is a tragedy and our thoughts are with their families". Yeah, we get it, please just say "250 died".

Feelings are overrated.

I have to agree, I feel it has somewhat served its purpose, but difficult for anyone to make that point and suggest it stops.

People in my street seem to start about 7:58pm and it didn't stop until 8:05pm last week - can't even get the time right!

Yes, a tricky one.

The first two times we did the necessary, but then thought it was over-playing and becoming media driven.

We have a great deal of respect for those who put their life on the line for the country and for others. Prefer the stoic option - after all many other jobs are life threatening at times.

I don't even think it was necessary the first time. It's all over the media how appreciated those on the front line are.

Now you get crowds outside hospitals/on bridges etc etc.

I wonder if anyone has died as a result of this.

And yup, other people in other jobs risk themselves too. Where do you draw the line.

I always got the impression it was really for everyone who was putting themselves on the line, it was just much easier to sell making it a clap for the "NHS".

I decided last week actually that tonight would be the last time I go out and do it. There were fewer out by mine last week, so I expect it will start to dwindle off anyway. As things always do.

They all have my respect anyhow, and I think they all know that the majority of the public are decent folk and do respect and thank what they've done.

Have to agree with the comments, as a once off all well and good but every week is ridiculous. You should see it around here, woman next door has a pot and wooden spoon she bangs together. I keep praying for rain on a Thursday evening!

And I appreciate it depends on where you work but my friend works in a hospital and where we are we aren't overwhelmed so its not like London etc but he said he's just doing his normal shift and is getting clapped for it, gets 50% off virtually everything and loads of free things, he said he wished the companies had given it to those that had lost their jobs and don't have a stable income. Stand up bloke.

But yes think its run its course now

Six years ago my mum was admitted to hospital with emphysema (she was a smoker decades before) and suspected pneumonia. She couldn't breathe. They discharged her the next day. Two days later she was rushed back in (the ambulance had to stop so they could resuscitate her on the way to the hospital). She was admitted to A&E and ventilated. She died a day later.

The hospital tried to convince my dad she had discharged herself earlier. We all know this is total crap.

It was my sixteenth 'cancerversary' yesterday. If it wasn't for the NHS I'd have died, untreated, after five years.

They were great with my son when he had an open fracture (bone sticking out etc.) but CAMHS have let my daughter down year after year (fortunately she is an 'adult' now).

So I have a complicated relationship with the NHS. I love the workers etc. but the paper-pushers and higher-ups not so much. It is because of this I don't do the seal-a-thon.

Also, I do show my appreciation by doing what I'm told and not adding to their workload.

I’m not doing it now. I think it’s gotten silly especially the Westminster bridge rubbish. I agreed with the first couple of weeks but if this goes on for months and months don’t see what the point is. One week my neighbours were in the street revving their cars and motorbikes. Let’s thank the key workers by polluting the air unnecessarily!

Last edited:
A friend of ours who works as an A&E nurse in C London (which is as much on the front line of this as you can get) told us she really couldn't give a toss. Her response was "It's appreciated but it's not going to make up for the lack of PPE or these idiots not respecting lockdown and making our situation worse." as she struggled to get enough face masks and gowns to keep her safe.

G

As the weeks have gone by, our street has started using this as an excuse for neighbours to talk to each other after the clapping stops. Two weeks ago one of the ladies was handing out cakes. Last week some of them clapped and were then having a beer and a chat. The worse culprit works for the NHS!

I have been clapping from the window for the last 3 weeks to avoid bumping into neighbours at the end of the drive. I don’t actually want to participate but the wife insists we should at least from indoors.

Absolute arse.

No idea who’s trite idea this was but Christ, how nauseating.

I was in an Asda two weeks ago and there’s was a call over the tannoy to clap.

People stopped shopping and did so... WTF?

No NHS staff there, and had there been I’d imagine they’d have cringed as much as I did.

Extra pay, better holidays when this is over, enough PPE, free car parking at work, free snacks on shift, anything... anything would have more sincere, real, meaning than this happy-clappy idiot-fest.

And worse, so much worse, it’s the kind of thing Americans do.

Last edited:
Absolute arse.

No idea who’s trite idea this was but Christ, how nauseating.

I was in an Asda two weeks ago and there’s was a call over the tannoy to clap.

People stopped shopping and did so... WTF?

No NHS staff there, and had there been I’d imagine they’d have cringed as much as I did.

Extra pay, better holidays when this is over, enough PPE, free car parking at work, free snacks on shift, anything... anything would have more sincere, and real, meaning than this happy-clappy idiot-fest.

And worse, so much worse, it’s the kind of thing Americans do.

Couldn't agree with you more.

All of these types of things just strike me as a vehicle for some to use as material for their social media narcissistic self promotion purposes. Broadly insincere, utterly pointless and ultimately detrimental to the very people they claim to support. The pictures from Westminster bridge show some of these same morons acting in a way that directly INCREASES the risks to the very same staff they're clapping. Nice one, I'm sure they're DELIGHTED you're making their job harder/more risky.

Maybe I'm just getting to be a grumpy cynical old git.

G

..........it’s the kind of thing Americans do.

USA
USA
USA.......
7Ema.gif
e6VFV.gif
source.gif
tenor.gif

PS... Have a nice day....

I've already stopped - not because I don't believe in the NHS but because I'm clapping to a line of trees. There's no NHS in my row of houses, and the only people that see/hear me do it are the neighbours. The neighbour's kids enjoy doing it, so they're out there with pots and pans, good for them.

But as someone already mentioned, doing it now, for the most part, is because people want others to see that they are. I see people putting videos of themselves clapping on social media, for what? Recognition from other people. And then you've got the Tory party members making a spectacle of it, and they hate the NHS and want to break it up.

I'm all for the brave girls and guys that are doing so much for them. But clapping isn't going to do squat for them, especially when they can't hear it. It might give some of them a bit of a morale boost, but you'd be surprised at how many find it embarrassing.

Well that was quicker this week.... Thanks mainly to normal spring weather rather than the middle of July feel to the last few weeks.

I remember watching terminator 3 in a cinema in florida and they were whooping in the action scenes and started clapping at the end of the film.

Can't say I blame them. I almost clapped when it ended :)

Going to the cinema in the US is awful, I didn't like it one bit. All the cheering etc. was so annoying. The films weren't even that great. James and the Giant Peach, The Great White Hype and The Fly 2.

There have been instances in the UK where I've experienced clapping in the cinema. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one I remember.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom