When Worlds collide: The dedicated living room cinema (Updated May 2020)

@Tamas I'm sticking with the Arcam AVR390 for the time being, just as a processor. I'm just planning ahead for potentially moving to a processor, so I want to have something to power the surround backs other than the '390s own amps.

We watched Gladiator last night as I'd picked up a 4K/DTS:X disc ages ago. With the projector calibration and the extra Devore it looked amazing. The DTS:X soundtrack was great too.

Delivery man just dropped off the IW85 while I was typing this post, so I'd better get busy. :)

@richardsim7 I do exactly the same thing, realising I should have ordered something else after I've placed it: Just remembered that I could do with some more banana plugs for speaker terminals. I'll wait to see if I think of anything else over the weekend though. :)

I had them saved on an Amazon 'list' but I couldn't find a small 19" cabinet on Amazon (too many results; the usual problem), so I thought I'd just order everything from Thomann. Then they hadn't got all the caged nuts, etc in stock, so I had to order those from Amazon: I have an odd mix at the moment, so would like to change them all for matching black ones, such is my OCD now. :blush: :D

I've now installed the second IW85 and done a quick SPL meter set up. All the usual Atmos test disc clips tried and very happy with the result. Sure it's not a huge difference, but it just adds a little bit of space to the sounds. Especially those where they obviously come from the back, like the yellow car on the 3rd or 4th clip if anyone knows the bit I'm talking about. :)

I turned off my Arcam P7 and iNuke sub/height speaker amps and just played some clips with only the AVR390 powering the pair of IW85s. Despite them being installed a bit lower than ideal, they aren't in the least bit muffled sounding and even the lowly power amps in the 390 seem capable of powering them at higher levels on clips where they are very active...I still want something better though to help the P7 power all those channels. ;)

A big thanks to Richard @Seriously Ltd for getting this to me as I know he is a busy man with his key worker day job. :smashin:

Thanks @sammy the squid

Next: I'll need to sort out the power amps as I'll be running an odd mix for the time being of the Arcam P7, two channels off the iNuke and two channels off the AVR390. I'm thinking of getting a Nord One MP NC252 4 channel amp which is 250 watts per channel, close enough to my Arcam P7 at 230 watts channel (into 4ohms).

I'll try the Nord on the LCR to see if I can hear any difference compared to the P7. If I do I might swap the P7 for a 7 channel Nord, though that could lead to a slippery slope where I start looking at their higher end 3 channel models to power the LCR, which means I'd need another separate 4 channel MPNCxxx. :D

Ironically I'm not really using the system much at the moment due to work and the nice weather when I am at home. It'll be ready for bad weather or the autumn/winter viewing season though. :)

You know what you mentioned about being led to a slippery slope? :p It might be closer than you think!😇

Yes, that's the one. 'Horizon' it is then Richard. :)

(Not a big follower of USA cars, but if it had been a yellow RS2000 I would have known that :D ).

Just having a play with the REW alignment tool: I think I get a better result with the subs inverted (in the MiniDSP) as the crossover area is much smoother. I seem to remember reading that the iNuke inverts the output, so it takes another inversion in the MiniDSP to compensate. If I don't then there is quite dip around the crossover region and it sounds less 'full' too.

I took the required readings for both Dirac ON and Dirac OFF for practice:

1. Left Only (sub off).
2. Right Only (sub off).
3. Sub Only (signal from right speaker, but unplug the pre-out with left speaker used as timing reference).

I got similar results for Dirac on or off readings: The sub 'was delayed by 1.2000mS/1.3000mS' but I just need to check if that means add 1.2mS to the sub or to add 1.2mS to every speaker. Probably close enough not to be able to tell anyway. The front subs are level with the LCR, but turned 90 degrees, so I guess this makes sense, allowing for whatever delay the MiniDSP adds.

Just an update of some photos. I received the Amazon screw on magnets last night, so I took the IW85 magnets off and fitted 6 to each of the MDF baffle to hold the oversized IW28S grille in place:

IW Baffle 7.jpg

Close up of the IW85:
IW Baffle 8.jpg

Then with the grille back on...looks just the same as before again, but with surround backs instead of 2 extra subs:

IW Baffle 6.jpg

This is approximately where I could eventually move the IW85 to when we re-decorate. It's an easier job because there is already a hole behind that is plasterboarded over. Moving them each side of the window reveal would bring them in line with the side S150T, but moves them too far apart and it would be a lot more work to remove bricks and put a lintel in again as I did back on page 12 of this thread:

IW Baffle 9.jpg

Still thinking about what to fill the main rack with...

Last edited:
Watched Rambo Last Blood in 4K/Atmos last night. Can't say it was a particularly great film, but it gave the system a work out. At least we followed it with 'A Concert for George' which has some of our favourite songs on it and that sounded excellent. I might be becoming a 4K snob though because that BluRay looked a little soft after Rambo. :rolleyes: :D

I shuffled some of the equipment round in the rack to prepare for moving the iNukes out of the main rack. I found that I could move the Sony X800 to the top of the rack despite it being slightly higher than 1U. There is a space above, which is the underside of the top, so the very top of the Sony tucks under this bit and there is enough room for the disc tray to come out without catching. Plenty of space for air flow too, not that it gets particularly warm even after a whole evening's viewing.

Looking forward to getting the small rack later this week, so I can get on with the rest of the rack changes. :)

Seem a bit low to me. Feel sure the perfectionist inside will win the argument in the end, after you've procrastinated a bit hahaha

Just had a bit of a measure with REW to check out how the new time alignment function works. I also worked out that I could add a delay to all speakers and the subs, but not the BK shaker. Helps with getting the sofa thump in time with the bass sound.

Probably not as good as a BOSS system, but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, but it's working out well now, just adding a bit without being distracting.

Seem a bit low to me. Feel sure the perfectionist inside will win the argument in the end, after you've procrastinated a bit hahaha

The perfectionist will have to lose out, because the 'perfect' place is on the windowsill. Each side of the window is too far apart and getting too close to the side surrounds as well I think. To be honest they work really well where they are, let alone if I raise them up as the black lines show later on.

I'm not looking forward to the pain of re-decorating though, even though I don't do the wallpapering I'll do all the prep and messy stuff. At least it shouldn't take as long as the original build though and isn't planned until next year at least. :smashin:

My 6U rack arrived today from Thomann, so I moved all my bass equipment across to it: Both iNukes, Bass shaker amp and the Mini DSP. It's not a very heavy duty rack (it was only £29 to be fair), but it's a little shallower than my main rack, so it takes up less space under the stairs.

Just after assembling and loading it up:

Bass Rack 1.jpg

Rear view:
Bass Rack 2.jpg

In place and powered up and tested (there is a MiniDS 2x4HD behind the grille):
Bass Rack 3.jpg

I also got a rack mounted power strip, which I've fitted to the back of the main rack for all the low power equipment, so I can turn it all off by reaching over the top and flicking the rocker switch off. That's going to be handy for the next Lumagen update too as it's usual to do a power down, then start the 'boot loader' update.

Stock photo as I forgot to take one while I was squashed up behind the main rack:

Rack strip.jpg

Did a quick check and SPL level set up because I found an old NAD stereo amp in the loft, which I'm temporarily using to power the Atmos top rear speakers until I place my order with...

Some photos of the main rack, with a temporary NAD310 amp powering the rear height speakers (AVR390 on surround backs and P7 on the rest, for now):

Both racks in view:
Both Racks.jpg

Close up:
Main Rack Close Atmos.jpg

'Power amp' section:
Main Rack Close Lower.jpg

Almost seems a shame to have it all hidden, but at least everything has a lot more space around it for better airflow, plus room for a bigger power amp where the NAD currently lives.

Very neat, shame it won't be seen. :)

Nice ... but what does the back look like ;-)

Nice ... but what does the back look like ;-)
Well there are a lot of wires, but I got it pretty tidy*. I just want to have another go at the new HDMI cables I got (2 metre lengths as recommended by Lumagen), so they need dressing a bit more than they currently are.

Very neat, shame it won't be seen. :)

It gives me an enormous sense of well being though when I go to put a disc in the player. ;) :)

*Just don't expect me to crawl back there and take a photo anytime soon as my back still hurts after last night. :blush:

Last edited:
I found a demo disc on eBay for DTS:X clips. They usually seem to go for £40+ (then import and VAT charges as most seem to be from the USA), so I was pleased to find a sealed one for £15. It's an older one, but the clips are still useful to check and demo to visitors.

DTS X Disc front.jpg

Contents list of films (half of which I've never heard of...):

DTS X Disc Back.jpg

Then I had to take a photo of the Arcam display of course. :)

Main Rack Close.jpg

Main Rack Full.jpg

Last edited:
I played the DTS:X disc through tonight after work. I don't know if it's a DTS 'thing' but it seemed a fair bit louder than my Atmos test disc, but some useful clips including some music/drumming too.

I dug out a THX DVD (remember them? ;) ) clip disc to compare upmixing options. The Arcam sticks with whichever type you select, so it doesn't seem possible to set Neural:X for DTS sources and Dolby Surround for the others. Not really an issue as I seem to prefer the less obvious upmixing of Dolby Surround myself.

I'm really getting that 'bubble' of sound effect and that's before I've done a re-calibration with Dirac, so the new rears are just level matched and running without Dirac EQ: The rest of the speakers and subs are running Dirac EQ though, so it's a useful Arcam quirk until I can find the time to run another calibration.

Almost reluctant to do another calibration though, because I seem to have finally got that elusive setting where music and film content sounds how I want. :) Just putting the front subs in phase with the main LCR, small tweak on the overal sub delay, lowest Harman curve (4dB) and the subs are only 2dB hot. The perils of using a DIY/passive sub set up I guess, but they are certainly working well now and don't let anyone tell you that 15" subs are 'slow'. :)

Shame it's now reduced to showing 'The Sewing Bee' with very little surround, subwoofer or tactile shaker to produce. :rolleyes::D Time to do some power amp research I guess...

I dug out a THX DVD (remember them? ;) )

Not this one by any chance:

62033146-CCC7-4C0F-8F6B-F6A257AC4A60.jpeg

Think i’ll have to give it a spin tomorrow for old times sake! From memory though I think I actually prefer the Dolby clips - especially the train pulling off or the canyon clip!

Not sure @beechy06 as I don’t have the case for it. I think mine came free with a magazine.

I’m going to do some separate sub measurements so I can have a play with MSO. I’m not sure if it’ll have much impact because they are equidistant from the MLP and the room is pretty symmetrical, but just want to give it a try. I don’t think I’ve taken separate sub measures for a long time, so I‘m interested to see if there will be any benefit to EQing them separately.

After that I’m going to read up more on BEQ.

Looks very neat mate.

What’s your next project?

I recently digitised my whole collection, I love it, I’ll never go back to discs again. Same quality but all at the drop of a hat 👍🏻

Looks very neat mate.

What’s your next project?
Thanks. :)

Next project is replacing the power amps with 11 channels of something. Probably Nord 3 + 8 channels, but still deciding at the moment. That would then allow me to change to a processor in the future, but to be honest there isn't anything that catches my eye (that is in budget) at the moment. I'm following certain processor threads, but they seem to be waiting for updates/bug fixes and the Arcam is working well for me right now, so not something I want to revisit having gone through it before. At least the remaining issues aren't things that impact my set up.

I mostly tend to watch films once, so there isn't much point in me putting them on some kind of server. I rent from Cinemaparadiso and watch a fair bit of Netflix/iPlayer stuff (the later on TV due to lower picture quality), so I have enough content to keep me occupied. To be honest, there's a bit of manual set up involved putting a film on, so putting a disc in is pretty minor for me, but I guess I'm a bit old school. :)

Looking really good, I see you have the AV bug again.
Thanks.I mostly tend to watch films once, so there isn't much point in me putting them on some kind of server. I rent from Cinemaparadiso and watch a fair bit of Netflix/iPlayer stuff (the later on TV due to lower picture quality), so I have enough content to keep me occupied. To be honest, there's a bit of manual set up involved putting a film on, so putting a disc in is pretty minor for me, but I guess I'm a bit old school. :)
I am totally the same, Cinemparadiso is great, loads of 4K releases. There are so many films out there I would rather watch something new than rewatch an old film. Obviously I do have a few classics I rewatch. I must be one of the last people to still buy cd’s.
I have stopped on the upgrading as my system is good enough. The most important thing for me in this hobby is actually watching content although I understand new kit is half the fun.

Hi Russ,

You're right on the money there with your comment about actually watching: We spent last night catching up on various series (after the Sewing Bee program :rolleyes: ), just enjoying watching and not analysing (after my earlier DTS:X clip tests admittedly).

I'm trying to avoid getting too drawn into the upgrade loop again, so the changes I've made have been after the last 2.5 years of use and plenty of debate. Plus I've really got into playing guitar live at open mics until the lockdown started, so that helps me keep focused on enjoying verses too much upgrading. So really, just surround backs, the bass shaker and actually just getting it all set up and calibrated properly rather than wholesale swapping out of gear. Obviously the surround backs have pushed the power amp issue a little, but the NAD seems to cope fine for now and isn't hissy like the iNuke was when connected to the height speakers.

I may just end up putting a 3 channel LCR amp in, do a last Dirac calibration and calling that it for now: Nothing wrong with the Arcam P7 really and even the 390 can power a pair of IW85s that are less than 2 metres away from me. Maybe if the P7 starts to play up I'll revisit. I think it could be a long time before the processors I'm watching have Dirac and are relatively bug free...

I have been working from home and my acoustic is right beside me. I pick it up and have a noodle all the time. I don’t think they would appreciate that when I am back at work.
Yes AV is an interesting hobby and very easy to get carried away with. I love the technicality of it and love fiddling. I can totally understand how for some people the kit is the hobby and that’s fine. I do have to constantly remind myself for me it’s a means to an end (watching films).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom