Question Where can I get Certified HDMI 2.1 cable?

No such thing as a certified 2.1 cable is there? Premium certified is about the best you can get now until the standard comes out for Ultra.

Monoprice, Amazon, £3-£3.50 for 3-10 feet in white or black. There will be ones labelled as Ultra high speed but dont believe any are certified.

Premium High Speed and High Speed certified (both limited to 8m) will cater for everything you can currently pass over an HDMI cable.

Ultra High Speed is the latest and greatest - though limited to 3m and nothing generally available on the market as yet, expect high prices too.

As asheaahe says Version numbers are not relevant to HDMI cables.

Joe

What are you plugging those cables into that needs HDMI 2.1?

I suspect the answer is nothing.

Therefore the advice above is all you need. Buy a hi-speed HDMI cable and it does everything you currently need and if you do eventually get a device that requires it, by then the cables will have been launched or be supplied with it.

What are you plugging those cables into that needs HDMI 2.1?

I suspect the answer is nothing.

Therefore the advice above is all you need. Buy a hi-speed HDMI cable and it does everything you currently need and if you do eventually get a device that requires it, by then the cables will have been launched or be supplied with it.

Do the LG sound bars need hdmi 2.1?

Also was thinking about use my new OLED that supports hdmi 2.1 and use this TV as monitor. I have a RTX 2080. Specs in my sig. It has NVIDIA G-Sync and FreeSync so I can have my games 120hz 4k. So yes I would need to buy a cable that uses 48gbps

Note that NOWHERE on that advert does it use the term Ultra High Speed - because if it isn't certified with HDMI.org they are not allowed to use that term. This is actually a High Speed cable not even a Premium High Speed
1593450641425.png

Notice how they use the term Ultra HD in the description to make it look like its Ultra High Speed but it is actually a Ultra HD - High Speed Cable

Good luck with that cable.

Note that NOWHERE on that advert does it use the term Ultra High Speed - because if it isn't certified with HDMI.org they are not allowed to use that term. This is actually a High Speed cable not even a Premium High Speed
View attachment 1326188

Notice how they use the term Ultra HD in the description to make it look like its Ultra High Speed but it is actually a Ultra HD - High Speed Cable

Good luck with that cable.

Need a link to find the right cable that's Premium High Speed.

Do the LG sound bars need hdmi 2.1?

Nope.

Also was thinking about use my new OLED that supports hdmi 2.1 with my PC. It has NVIDIA G-Sync and FreeSync so I can have my games 120hz 4k. So yes I would need to buy a cable that uses 48gbps

You'd also need a 2nd GPU just to be able to maybe push it to 100fps on a AAA title.

Also was thinking about use my new OLED that supports hdmi 2.1 and use this TV as monitor. I have a RTX 2080. Specs in my sig. It has NVIDIA G-Sync and FreeSync so I can have my games 120hz 4k. So yes I would need to buy a cable that uses 48gbps
G-Sync AFAIK is not supported over HDMI and requires Display Port to work properly. And you would need 2 GPUs

As has been previously stated, and driven into the ground, there are no ATC certified passive cables for the HDMI 2.1 options sets, period. The Belkin "HDMI 2.1" cable has been around for a long time, even before the HDMI 2.1 option sets were ratified. Belkin makes great cables but how they got away with this just amazes me. Carefully read the product descriptions and marketing. It has to state, "Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable" to meet the HDMI.org marketing guidelines for HDMI 2.1. Any other variation of that term is not valid. Besides, according to the HDMI 2.1 cable specifications, the cable length for passive cables that meet the HDMI 2.1 options sets is 1m - 3m.

Unless all of your HDMI connected devices have certified HDMI 2.1 chipsets, a 48Gbps cable will not give you any better performance than a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) of the same length. If you need an active cable because of your cable distance you can pretty much forget about finding a "certified" active cable for the HDMI 2.1 option sets because HDMI.org does not allow for certification of active cables, whether they be copper, fiber, or hybrid fiber. The best you can probably do now if you really think you NEED a cable that can handle the HDMI 2.1 option sets is to go with a hybrid fiber cable (for lengths over about 20') from a mfr who designs and builds their own cables, tests their cables in a properly certified lab, and has excellent customer support. Ruipro comes to mind.

That being said, until there are devices with certified HDMI 2.1 chipsets widely available, and there is source material that requires the 48Gbps bandwidth, it's still going to be trial and error somewhat to find a cable today that will work tomorrow. No cable mfr can offer one a 100% guarantee that their cable will work for all setups and installations.

Maybe we need a huge font to ensure folk get the bit about HDMI cables NOT being version compliant - you will never purchase an HDMI 2.1 cable as there is no verifiable certification programme for cables which refers to Version numbers.

Ultra High Speed, Premium High Speed and High Speed are the only verifiable cable categories.

Joe

Maybe we need a huge font to ensure folk get the bit about HDMI cables NOT being version compliant - you will never purchase an HDMI 2.1 cable as there is no verifiable certification programme for cables which refers to Version numbers.

Ultra High Speed, Premium High Speed and High Speed are the only verifiable cable categories.

Joe

Without that number how would you know if it’s 48gbps? eARC? Those other Premium high speed cables only do 18gbps ,ARC

when are the official certified premium HDMI 2.1 cables releasing? I see a lot more TVs that use product’s using HDMI 2.1. Where are these premium cables are they ever going to get released for this new format? Why do these TV companies release something and then you can’t use it because there’s no cable that works with it.
I remember this happened at the beginning of 4K 2.0 on everyone looking for cables and they weren’t real.

déjà vu all over again

Last edited:
Can you show me the certification programme witch any mention of HDMI version numbers refers too?

Any mention of HDMI Version numbers in relation to cables is just marketing guff with no way to prove or disprove what the cable supports.

I’ll post the link again to how HDMI.org categorise cables - HDMI Cables Overview - HDMI

Joe

BTW a lot of the new devices with HDMI 2.1 chipsets are not guaranteeing the full HDMI 2.1 functionality. If you read the very small print, they are offering a very limited sub-set of functionality with more features to be added later by software or firmware updates. For example Microsoft’s next gen console will have a very limited HDMI 2.1 feature set on launch day. You will probably find most of the new TVs are similar.

Without that number how would you know if it’s 48gbps? eARC? Those other Premium high speed cables only do 18gbps ,ARC

when are the official certified premium HDMI 2.1 cables releasing? I see a lot more TVs that use product’s using HDMI 2.1. Where are these premium cables are they ever going to get released for this new format? Why do these TV companies release something and then you can’t use it because there’s no cable that works with it.
I remember this happened at the beginning of 4K 2.0 on everyone looking for cables and they weren’t real.

déjà vu all over again
Premium High Speed HDMI cables are certified for the HDMI 2.0 option sets at 18Gbps. Only cables labeled as Premium High Speed HDMI (exact wording) meet those requirements and can be passive only.

Ultra High Speed HDMI cables (exact wording) will meet the requirements for the HDMI 2.1 option sets at 48Gbps. However, certification, once available, will be for passive cables only at probably at lengths no longer than 3m (as specified by HDMI.org).

Premium High Speed HDMI and Ultra High Speed HDMI will be and are the only HDMI.org recognized naming conventions for the HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps) and the HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps) option sets.

eARC is possible with Premium High Speed HDMI cables if the cables specify "with ethernet" and your source and sink devices have HDMI 2.0 chipsets that have been firmware upgraded to support that option. It's the HDMI chipsets at the source and sink end that determine what is possible, not the cable.

HDMI.org asked cable mfrs' to stop using the protocol versions in their cable descriptions years ago. Most have complied but quite a few still use carefully worded descriptions to market and sell their cables. Only those two cable names above are recognized by HDMI.org.

Some cable mfrs have had their connectors pass CTS testing and state that in their product descriptions but they are few and far between. That's about as close as you can currently get to a "certified" cable for HDMI 2.1 but I don't know if having just the connectors pass CTS means that the cable in-between is ok or not. It's a little vague.

And, as mentioned above, HDMI.org requires the device and cable mfr to list which of the HDMI 2.1 options sets are available before the device or cable can state HDMI 2.1. That gets dicey because eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 options, but eARC can be implemented on the HDMI 2.0 chipset should the mfr choose to do so. And if they do, then they could technically use HDMI 2.1 in their product description. A lot of folks don't bother to read the fine print or read just what they want to read without understanding what it means. And that's exactly what the device and cable mfrs are hoping for. They did the same thing with HDMI 1.4 when HDMI 2.0 was first introduced. IMO, it's false and misleading and that's why I really dislike HDMI.

Last edited:

déjà vu all over again
You'll know that cables support 48gbps when you see certified Ultra HD Premium cables, as the certification is mandatory for those cables, anything being sold and claiming 48gbps is untested and you have no idea if it will support 48gbps or not.

Yes there are TV's that support HDMI 2.1, but no devices that plug into those TV's as of yet, I'd expect the first HDMI 2.1 devices to be the next gen consoles and by then I'm guessing we'll have cables available.

You'll know that cables support 48gbps when you see certified Ultra HD Premium cables
Just to be correct here the cables will be labelled as Ultra Certified Cable - HDMI Ultra High Speed not Ultra HD Premium or anything similar and will have to carry the Hologram and QR code, which will look like this

1593502435534.png

Just to be correct here the cables will be labelled as Ultra Certified Cable - HDMI Ultra High Speed not Ultra HD Premium or anything similar and will have to carry the Hologram and QR code, which will look like this

View attachment 1326502
I also might add that HDMI.org will also allow labeling of the cable body, as indicated above for UHS HDMI cables. Ultra HD Premium cables is not an official designation and if cables are sold with that name, it is done soley to confuse the consumer and take their money.

You'll know that cables support 48gbps when you see certified Ultra HD Premium cables, as the certification is mandatory for those cables, anything being sold and claiming 48gbps is untested and you have no idea if it will support 48gbps or not.

Yes there are TV's that support HDMI 2.1, but no devices that plug into those TV's as of yet, I'd expect the first HDMI 2.1 devices to be the next gen consoles and by then I'm guessing we'll have cables available.
Ultra HD Premium cables is not an officially recognized name for the new cables. The ONLY official designation is Ultra High Speed HDMI cables (UHS HDMI cable).

G-Sync AFAIK is not supported over HDMI and requires Display Port to work properly.
Considering the TV is certified Gsync compatible by Nvidia and only has HDMI ports I would say that is wrong.
With the new GTX 3000 series graphics cards supporting HDMI 2.1 and the upcoming next gen consoles also having HDMI 2.1, I can see this branding issue being a big headache for some.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom