Where to get best quality Freeview fly lead?

I'm with Rodders. Never mind the DA. There will little to be gained (if you'll pardon the pun). Get a better aerial.
If your existing one picks up Com7 (sort of) then a half decent aerial should pull it in fairly well.

Personally I'm not 100% sure which transmitter @Rambles is picking up COM7 from!

Sufficed to say, once the strongest transmitter has been established, ideally all the multiplexes for that transmitter should be manually tuned, not auto tuned...

Yes, thanks. I know a new / better / properly aligned aerial will be better, but also a nuclear option that I am trying to avoid for reasons stated above (three storey house, on the coast, in a wind tunnel, cement board cladding, all internal cabling hidden in the walls).

I couldn't find a Proception DA with the DC power back to the masthead amp, but I have found an Antiference one that looks good, it is 8 way, has the DC power, and has built in attenuation, it's also got a returns option, so I am going to give that a try and see if it makes any difference.

The Freeview postcode checker - detailed view, shows Com 7 at 64% from Crystal Palace, and 97 / 98 % from Bluebell Hill. But they are both the same frequency, (55 / 746) so I don't know where it's coming from either.

The Freeview postcode checker - detailed view, shows Com 7 at 64% from Crystal Palace, and 97 / 98 % from Bluebell Hill. But they are both the same frequency, (55 / 746) so I don't know where it's coming from either.
I suggest you manually tune each of the multiplexes for each transmitter, one transmitter at a time. In order to do this you need to make a note of the frequencies for each multiplex for each transmitter.

However, before manually tuning each multiplex you need to delete all the previously scanned multiplexes first. You can do this by starting the 'Auto Tune' process and once it gets going you quickly select 'Cancel'. This will completely empty all previously tuned multiplexes... Then manually scan each multiplex one at a time.

I suggest you manually tune each of the multiplexes for each transmitter, one transmitter at a time. In order to do this you need to make a note of the frequencies for each multiplex for each transmitter.

However, before manually tuning each multiplex you need to delete all the previously scanned multiplexes first. You can do this by starting the 'Auto Tune' process and once it gets going you quickly select 'Cancel'. This will completely empty all previously tuned multiplexes... Then manually scan each multiplex one at a time.
Yes, I do that. I have tried all of the transmitters in reach and Crystal Palace is definitely the best one. It is only Com 7 that is flaky, I went to try and get that from Bluebell Hill, but I can't choose between that or Crystal Palace as it is the same frequency.

Well... Sooner or later any multiplex above channel 49 (695 MHz) is being moved to make way for the upcoming 5G (700MHz) frequencies.

I have no idea if this has already happened or when it will happen for your transmitters...

EDIT: That being said, according to this information, "The reallocation of spectrum in the 700MHz band for the development of future mobile broadband services was completed successfully on 19 August 2020". :eek:

Last edited:
That is useful to know.

I wonder if there is any chance that we will be able to get proper HD TV with better than stereo sound via the internet soon (eg iPlayer), that is what I am really holding out for.

I am actually getting FTTP broadband installed next month, predicted speed of 910mb and guaranteed speed of 455mb. 😲 So, we will try and watch what we can online, but BBC / ITV / C4 is all awful quality!

Currently, the BBC's streaming service offers better looking images than ITV Hub, All4 and My5, especially when it comes to live streaming! There's even some UHD content on BBC iPlayer at the moment ;)

The HD versions of BBC, Channel 4 and Channel 5 currently offer 5.1 surround sound for some programmes (mainly movies) but sadly ITV HD is a stereo only service (bonkers).

With regard to FTTP broadband, I actually got mine installed by Openreach last Friday. I went for BT's 'Fibre 2' service which offers 75Mbps max for £29.99 per month, fixed for 24 months. I'm currently the only person on my street who's hooked up to the service ;)

Yes, agreed. iPlayer is much better than the ITV / C4 / C5 streaming services, at least there are no ads, but it is only 720 rather than 1080 and flicking between watching BBC News live via iplayer to live via channel 107 on Freeview, there is a very noticeable jump in quality.

The UHD content on iPlayer was a nice treat, but the majority is sadly 720 and stereo. Why can't they offer catch up in 1080 with surround sound where it was on the original broadcast? :mad:

Yay, nice that you got your FTTP installed already :smashin: Was it a painless process, what equipment did they install?

Yay, nice that you got your FTTP installed already :smashin: Was it a painless process, what equipment did they install?
Very painless...

BT posted their 'BT Smart Hub 2' router to me a few days before Openreach arrived and strung their new fibre optic cable from their mast to my house. Openreach then connected the fibre optic cable to their supplied 'FTTP v2' box exactly where I wanted it positioned - which, like the BT router requires power.

I've just got to cancel Virgin Media now...

Antiference is unlikely to be better than the Labgear. Nor will Proception but Mains distribution amplifier - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials all have "Line power (for a M/H amp) = 12V x 100mA" :confused:

COM7 is same frequency from all transmitters and at the location Rambles lives is received from both CP and Bluebell Hill, plus distant delayed from Sandy, Tacolneston, Belmont (and maybe others) when enhanced propagation occurs. No manual tuning tricks will help with that.

It may also be worth going over connections yet again with the finest tooted comb avaialable plus moving hdmi and aerial cables apart and swapping them around in case any hdmi-uhf cross interference is happening and affecting this highest frequency?
Why can't they offer catch up in 1080 with surround sound where it was on the original broadcast?
Simply due to the cost.
The bandwidth needed for 1080i and 5.1 would be greater than the 720p stereo. Because it's point to point fed and not multicast/broadcast.

Subscription streaming services can afford to do it, of course.

I had an issue with Labgear distribution amps, both the remote psu and amplifier had illuminated power leds however, there wasn't enough umph for the amp to work.
A spot of fault finding and replacing the psu resolved my issue of the magic eyes not working.
The second time it happened I decided to change brands and have been using a Proception for several years without any issue but did attenuate one output and terminate the unused ports.

@Rodders53 Thanks for the last bit of advice, as all of the in wall cables are terminated with f plugs, I thought it would be easier / less connections, if I stuck to a DA with f plug connections.

@Ged Thanks - that is interesting. And sort of timely, as this is just out for delivery to me today:

Amazon product ASIN B01BKVZVJW
Although, it is Labgear, but hopefully it will be okay.

The new distribution amp that I ordered, never arrived, the seller sent the wrong one, and was very rude and unhelpful about it, so it's going back.

I thought that maybe a standalone power supply for the masthead amplifier might be a good idea, possibly more robust / reliable? And it will give me more options over what distribution amp to buy, if I decide to still replace that too.

What happens with the 12V DC output on the input, if I don't need it? I can't turn it off, so presumably it just gets ignored?

Its been a long time since last looked into my system but I have four feeds from the amplifier which is powered by a power supply similar to that Labgear, it sends the power up to the amp via one of the feeds and I don't need to power it locally in the loft as no sockets there. I seem to remember the Proamp psu was an additional purchase which I did initially when the second Labgear failed.
Please note I do not have an amp on the aerial, the tv aerial is external, it feeds into the loft and I have installed an FM and a DAB aerial in the loft, connected to the amp and demodulate the signals for use in two of the other rooms.
Edit. For info the loft amp I have is proAMP310X

Last edited:
Not clear what you are planning and why.

But if you power the SLX omnidirectional amplified antenna with a 12V supply, the out to a DA that has auto masthead psu capability will see a DC short so cut out (NB it would see the same DC short if connected to a normal TV antenna, so that's by design, how it works).

F-plug to TV plug adaptors are cheap and do the conversion well.
Some Blake/Proception stuff has F-connectors as standard.. Amplifiers whether it includes the one you need or not?

Not clear what you are planning and why.
Hi, I am planning on using a separate power supply for the masthead amp, rather than the DA doing it with the 12v DC out on the main input. This is because a couple of times when I have power cycled the DA the signal has returned, and I think you mentioned that it may have been that the power to the masthead amp had been cut for some reason.

Also, if I do change the DA at some point, it will give me more options as I won't need one that does the 12v DC out on the main input.
But if you power the SLX omnidirectional amplified antenna with a 12V supply, the out to a DA that has auto masthead psu capability will see a DC short so cut out (NB it would see the same DC short if connected to a normal TV antenna, so that's by design, how it works).
Cut out in a good way?? Will it just be the 12V DC output that cuts out or the whole distribution amp? o_O

Thanks for the link to the amplifiers. So, you think there will be no signal loss / deterioration by introducing an F plug adapter at the end of every line?

If you review the manual for the proAMP310X, it gives instructions on how it can provide power to a masthead amplifier at the tv aerial input. Please note that I do not use that feature so cannot comment. I did find any emails to the company were replied to.
The reason for my previous post was to inform you that whilst a power supply appears to be functional, it can in fact not have enough power to allow the device to fully function, hence as in my experience, the original psu was the issue.

Thanks @Ged The Labgear one that I have now is very similar to the Proception one that you linked to, and for five+ years has been switched on and doing it's thing. It does provide power to the masthead amplifier and also amplifies the input and distributes it to 7 points in the house.

However, recently, all signals have been lost throughout the house, and power cycling the Labgear has fixed it, on two separate occassions.

A standalone power supply for the masthead amp was only £11, so I thought I would try that first, also if I do want to change the distribution amp at a later date, then I have more choices as I don't need one that can supply power to the masthead amp as well.

I haven't connected the standalone power supply up yet, I am wondering how my distribution amp will know that it no longer needs to supply power out of the aerial input! @Rodders53 suggested it would short out, and I just want to confirm if that means the 12V DC output will short out, and the rest of the distribution amp will operate as normal?

I think Rodder53 is questioning having two power supplies in the system. I suspect feeding the masthead amp separately may not power the distribution amplifier but I must stress this a guess and would appreciate others to clarify.
I’m sorry to repeat myself, but if you refer to the Proception manual, it illustrates how you could power both by using one power supply. The Proception is available quite cheaper at Toolstation.
Again, please note that my post was to point out that the issue I had was with a dodgy power supply.

Oh, I see what you mean. Have one power supply that powers both the masthead amplifier and a passive (not plugged in) distribution amplifier?

That is an idea - I am looking at the manual now, it's a bit complex, I'll give it another look later o_O

I think you power the distribution amplifier which in turn puts power on the tv aerial input for the aerial/masthead amp.
I’m not sure if you would need a small 12v charger directly to the distribution amplifier or power it remotely using as I do, via the Proception power supply to the amp via the coax lead from another room.
I would await updates from forum members who have more knowledge about this issue than I and would also suggest emailing Proception as I did when I initially had issues.

I think you power the distribution amplifier which in turn puts power on the tv aerial input for the aerial/masthead amp.
Yes, that is what I am doing now. But I have suspicions that the output power is not reliable, hence I am adding a separate power supply into the system to power the masthead amplifier, leaving the distribution amp to just power itself (hopefully).

Just wondering in practice whether that will work as per the theory, or if it will all blow up when I plug it in!

would also suggest emailing Proception as I did when I initially had issues.
I don't have any Proception devices in the system, it is an slx aerial with built in masthead amplifier and a Labgear distribution amp.

With respect to the original set up, have you tried replacing the original psu as I mentioned earlier, it may appear functional but doesn’t have the full power.
If you try and replace only that, it will either resolve or rule it out.

With respect to the original set up, have you tried replacing the original psu as I mentioned earlier, it may appear functional but doesn’t have the full power.
If you try and replace only that, it will either resolve or rule it out.
Hi Ged, yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do now.

Currently the power to the masthead amp is coming from the distribution amp which has a 12v DC output on the main in.

I have bought a separate Labgear PSU, to power the masthead amp directly. However this will need to sit in between the masthead amp and the distribution amp and I have no way of turning off the 12V DC output from the distribution amp, so effectively that will go into the new PSU.

I have emailed Labgear to check if that will work okay, not sure how effective they are at providing tech support via email.

Have you tried to replace the 12v psu from the mains? I would try that and only that in the first instance. I suspect only powering the aerial masthead amp will not power the distribution amp but I’m not sure.
Edit. Not power..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom