which 65" led TV

red66

Standard Member
Reaction score
Once again I ask for some expert advice on what TV to buy?
It's gotta be 65" with fantastic colours and will be used mainly for movies and general tv viewing with football when on terestial(don't have sky yet!?)
I have awful eyesight and like vivid but natural colours without being too sickly :)
I will sit directly in front of the TV around 7 to 10 feet away.
Looking at spending around £700-£800
So far i like the LG65SM8200PLA The nanocell and tru motion sounds good ?
And also the SAMSUNGUE65RU747 crystal display/processor and 2000 PQI sounding good?
Looking at the currys websight and also been in the shop and so many TV's with similar spec and price.
Which one is for me?
I'm sure you guys can point me in the right direction
Many thanks in anticipation

Dave

I can't help you make a decision but I can say that I saw the nanocell in curry's today. I expected it to have banding issues but it didn't and to be fair it looked fantastic. Way better than I expected. It did have some minor uniformity issues in the corners but overall I was impressed.

Great to get a swift reply-thanks Badger.Would you say the LG was the best in that price bracket from what you saw in Currys?
That and the Samsung looked pretty similar to me for roughly the same price.
I'm sure Dodgexander will be able to help also :)

To be honest I didn't look at the Samsung equivalent, I just noticed the LG and it made me stop because for a minute I genuinely thought it was an OLED.

A lot of the specs you have picked up in your post mean nothing. PQI is a made up number. Nanocell is just LGs word for how their TVs display colours. Tru Motion is LGs word for motion interpolation. Neither models you found really are great options.

My guide has all the best buys: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

But you'll need to do some reading up about which panel type is more suited to your conditions before making a decision. Before jumping to pick out specific models, read the opening post of the guide and the link there that talks about choosing a type of panel.

For example, if you want good motion and a IPS panel its a bad idea to look at the SM8200 or SM8100 as they only come with 60hz panels. The higher end SM8500 and SM8600 come with 120hz.

Colours? Well most TVs can cover the entire spectrum of colours standard broadcast TV uses now, but there's a big difference in how one TV can be accurate out of the box compared to another. TVs using IPS panels in your kind of budget have average accuracy, but if a VA panel is more suited to your viewing conditions, a TV like the Samsung RU8000 or Q60R, or even better the Hisense U8B does a lot better in this respect.

Worth considering that terrestrial broadcasts, even HD ones aren't great quality by today's standards. They aren't gonna look that great on a larger UHD model.

Thanks Dodge,
You've given me plenty to think about there.I know there's a minefield of TV's out there and you have to make your own decision in the end based on personnel preferences which i will endeavor to do-------BUT on a budget upto about £1000 what is the TV you would plump for?
Go on you know which one I need :)
And should I get SKY?
Thanks for the great threads on here by the way.
Many thanks

Red

The Sony XF9005 has recently been reduced to 1k and represents a lot better value than the other options available today. Its a model usually sells for a lot more money and will knock the other TVs you are considering for six.

I wouldn't necessarily feel you need to get Sky, its good if you like 4k sport and you have the money to pay for all the sport channels, but I prefer myself to buy UHD Blu-Rays and an UHD Blu-Ray player. I also use a lot of 4k content on streaming services.

If you want to watch sport in the highest quality possible I think 4k Sky/BT channels are the only way to do it.

Magic
I was considering that and the LGSM8500/600 which you also recommend i believe.
Both are very similar price and to be honest I was swaying towards the LG with the 120hz.
I am sure the Sony has the 120hz also. I'm gunna go to Currys and have a look at both TV's with the preference now for the SONY who's picture quality is always up there with the best.
Is there anything that sets the Sony above the LG in particular Dodge?
Thanks for the help-Awesome knowledge and very helpful.
Red

Well the LG models you mention are lower tier TVs than the Sony XF9005. I'd definitely recommend going for the Sony instead before it sells out :)

I'm all set to buy the sony and saw this samsung for another £300
Samsung QE65Q80R
is it worth the extra for qled???

I don't think it is. But it may be in specific situations:
  • It has wider viewing angles and is superior to fighting glare than the Sony.
  • It has better smart TV.
  • It has 4x HDMI v2 ports instead of 2x v2 and 2x v1.4 on the Sony.
  • Motion processing is probably worse.
  • If you prefer picture accuracy, its worse.
I'd suggest if you want to spend more you consider the Samsung Q85R for a bit extra as it has superior dimming to the Q80R and makes it a better HDR TV.

wow what a tv :)
It looks stunning and the features on it are amazing.Out of the box picture is superb and I can'r wait to see some 4K content via netflix.That and fiddle with the settings.
Only have a bog standard HDMI cable-Should i be investing in a more expensive one? Just remember reading somewhere that they all do roughly the same job.
Anyway thanks for all the advice it was much appreciated.
Red

It looks stunning and the features on it are amazing.Out of the box picture is superb and I can'r wait to see some 4K content via netflix.That and fiddle with the settings.
Only have a bog standard HDMI cable-Should i be investing in a more expensive one? Just remember reading somewhere that they all do roughly the same job.
Red

Amazon basics are just as good as most. Never hurts to get new ones especially for a new set. Enjoy!

Red
Glad you like the TV! You don't need a new HDMI cable.

Sorry to hijack and realise it's an old thread.
I'm in the market for a 65 inch TV with a budget of £1200.I am very confused and having found this thread wish the xf9005 was still available but can't find anywhere.
I'm replacing my Samsung ue48h6400 which has been great and don't want to go down in quality.
Can you recommend anything.
Cheers

Sorry to hijack and realise it's an old thread.
I'm in the market for a 65 inch TV with a budget of £1200.I am very confused and having found this thread wish the xf9005 was still available but can't find anywhere.
I'm replacing my Samsung ue48h6400 which has been great and don't want to go down in quality.
Can you recommend anything.
Cheers
have you seen: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

There are some begining steps to take in the opening post to take before narrowing down a TV.

The guide has all the best buys, they are all 2019 models because 2020 ones are currently too expensive to recommend. Sadly that makes this time of year a hard time to buy because of poor availability. However I will have a new guide out by Black Friday.

Best waiting for Black Friday or later in 2020 if you want to buy a 2020 model.

Some things may help you search for 2019 models. Try pricespy.co.uk, try viewing clearance/ex display sections of websites. Try phoning your local Sony centre.
You can also try here:

The TVs go fast when they do appear on that outlet. Make sure you look for a 2019 model and not a 2020 one as TVs like the XH9005 are 2020 models and are overpriced.

have you seen: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

There are some begining steps to take in the opening post to take before narrowing down a TV.

The guide has all the best buys, they are all 2019 models because 2020 ones are currently too expensive to recommend. Sadly that makes this time of year a hard time to buy because of poor availability. However I will have a new guide out by Black Friday.

Best waiting for Black Friday or later in 2020 if you want to buy a 2020 model.

Some things may help you search for 2019 models. Try pricespy.co.uk, try viewing clearance/ex display sections of websites. Try phoning your local Sony centre.
You can also try here:

The TVs go fast when they do appear on that outlet. Make sure you look for a 2019 model and not a 2020 one as TVs like the XH9005 are 2020 models and are overpriced.
Thanks that's a big help...it seems I might be better off waiting a few months then.
I will keep an eye on the Sony refurbs too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom