Question Which TV for PS5?

I'll try hold out then.
Go to John Lewis mate... They'll match any price now, and give you 28 days post purchase to cover Black Friday.

[edit to 28 days]

Last edited:
Hardly delivering all the facts for people to consider when basically tarring all LCD's with the same brush, when the variable performance levels are vast, plus highlighting all potential LCD deficiencies yet failing to highlight any potential negatives regarding OLED. There are issues with OLED, not just the risk of burn in. CX has some scaling issues from perfect black through darks to grey creating problems in very dark scenes. There's a video on digital trends showing this. There's also been lots of issues with CX panels needing to be replaced due to problems. OLED picture quality is obviously stunning, nobody denies that, but don't suggest all LCD's are equally bad because they certainly aren't.

But you "know LCD tech inside out" because you've lived with one for years.... Wow, guess that means everyone who has an LCD is an expert on all of them too then.

Panny 902B is one of the best LCDs of all time and very comparable with the guys Samsung Q9FN as both VA panels with those deep blacks but poor viewing angles.

I agree OLEDs aren't perfect. I have a thread in the OLED forum dedicated to flawed with OLED (near black grey handling on a 5% slide, ABL, cost, full nit field brightness is very weak etc.). However IMO it doesn't get away from the broader conclusion of which tech is superior for 99% of use cases.

Please keep into context the post that I am responding to.

So I'm not going mad then? The missus understood exactly what I meant, but everyone else was like - what you talking about :laugh: - I've not seen it that much on other sets though, only Samsung.

Yes, my mate who recommended the LG OLED said the difference was night and day and biggest was 75 or 77. He said the same as you in that OLED's don't have a backlight and each pixel has it's own 3 colour diode thing which is why the picture is amazing, along with the price (£5-6k!!).

It'll come down to 4k for CX by Black Friday fingers crossed. ;)

I wanted to go 88''.. but that price is jaw droppingly bad.

Panny 902B is one of the best LCDs of all time and very comparable with the guys Samsung Q9FN as both VA panels with those deep blacks but poor viewing angles.

I agree OLEDs aren't perfect. I have a thread in the OLED forum dedicated to flawed with OLED (near black grey handling on a 5% slide, ABL, cost, full nit field brightness is very weak etc.). However IMO it doesn't get away from the broader conclusion of which tech is superior for 99% of use cases.

Please keep into context the post that I am responding to.

I was highlighting the point you were saying people need facts to make informed decisions, which i agree 100%. But when you then proceed to list all the pros for one type and none of the cons, then all the cons of another type and none of the pro's, you're not providing all the relevant information for people to make that informed decision.

There are great TV's out there be it OLED or LCD and different options might be perfect for some people and not for others.

I was highlighting the point you were saying people need facts to make informed decisions, which i agree 100%. But when you then proceed to list all the pros for one type and none of the cons, then all the cons of another type and none of the pro's, you're not providing all the relevant information for people to make that informed decision.

There are great TV's out there be it OLED or LCD and different options might be perfect for some people and not for others.

As I said, I was responding to post so please keep my response in context with what he posted.

I never said my post was the holy bible of pros and cons of oleds and lcds. I was trying to address the inaccuracy of his post.

My recently started topic on the ‘cons of OlED’ illustrates I’m more than happy to bash a technology, even if it’s the best we have atm.

Just to reiterate again, I was not trying to deliver ALL the facts, I was trying to dispel some of the blatant inaccuracies and lies on his post.

‘videophiles only go for oled due to Dolby vision’ 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

So, ignoring OLED for now (as 55/65 is too small and anything bigger is too expensive) what’s a decent recommended LED/LCD at 75/85” for TV and gaming as every website has a different opinion. I could do with a set with decent brightness levels as the room has bifolds and floor to ceiling glass on one side.

So, ignoring OLED for now (as 55/65 is too small and anything bigger is too expensive) what’s a decent recommended LED/LCD at 75/85” for TV and gaming as every website has a different opinion. I could do with a set with decent brightness levels as the room has bifolds and floor to ceiling glass on one side.

Anything from Sony with hdmi 2.1 (if you need it) I think the x900h.

Samsung are an option too but I wouldn’t touch them due to the over brightened hdr curve

Anything from Sony with hdmi 2.1 (if you need it) I think the x900h.

Samsung are an option too but I wouldn’t touch them due to the over brightened hdr curve
Thanks. I’m not really an enthusiast with TV’s and AV, so not sure what benefit I’d gain from HDMI 2.1 (is that for 8k or for other applications?). Obviously, I know enough to set stuff up, but when it comes to the finer details and the more in-depth specification knowledge, I defer to the better advice of others. What’s the difference between that X900 and the KD9505?

If you want any kind of future proofing at all you need to be getting a set that has the feature set of HDMI 2.1 So 4K @ 120 HZ, VRR and some other things too. Esp with the money you look to be forking out here.

If you want any kind of future proofing at all you need to be getting a set that has the feature set of HDMI 2.1 So 4K @ 120 HZ, VRR and some other things too. Esp with the money you look to be forking out here.

Looking at getting a new TV ( or 2 as no doubt the Mrs will also want a new one as well for the front room - where she games lol)

Looking to upgrade from 55" to 65" on both and I suppose would be best to future proof as well but wasn't planning on spending quite as much as I would have to (right now) can save a big chunk getting ones that won't have the 2.1 feature set etc but that is probably not a good idea.

Think I'll wait until early/mid next year as new models and more like to be alot more choice of TVs with 2.1 etc.

Atm I think it's the lg cx9 ors Sony xh900 series

Pity, the TCL in UK are pants compared to the us ones.. (hear grear things about them considering the price) hopefully the next batch will be better and also have the thq game mode etc.

Should be a bit of a jump when get the ps5 on current TV as only got normal PS4 so 1080 output (although upscaled by TV)

Time will tell

Atm I think it's the lg cx9 ors Sony xh900 series
Just got the Sony 65" (mrs said no to anything bigger or more expensive), so best option for constraints given.

No complaints so far, but not put any 4K/HDR through except Ghost of Tushy :smashin:

* edit: actually mrs did complain her neck was getting sore from looking up and down :confused: i was like "use your eyeballs woman!" :rolleyes:

old tv:
DSC_0686.JPG

new tv:
DSC_0688.JPG

LG OLED65B7 (really trying to hold off getting a 77C/GX)
Yamaha Sound Projector
PS4 Pro will go in the spare bedroom / kids film room.
Digital PS5 will go in the unit above the NAS with the back board of that section cut out. That shelf will drop one peg lower.

Excuse the mess - daddy day care today 😂

[EDIT]Posted this in the wrong thread entirely!!!

Attachments

• 7BF6491C-1993-4B55-AD4F-4F93062A4D86.jpeg
    7BF6491C-1993-4B55-AD4F-4F93062A4D86.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,297
  • D903345F-ACDE-4BDF-B3D0-6A647102D5BA.jpeg
    D903345F-ACDE-4BDF-B3D0-6A647102D5BA.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:
I currently have an LG OLED 65B6 and have since 2016. It's been a stunning TV from the moment I unboxed it.

Though, getting a PS5 has compelled me to upgrade to the 77CX, which -- along with some other home theatre components -- should arrive in a few weeks.

Just got the Sony 65" (mrs said no to anything bigger or more expensive), so best option for constraints given.

No complaints so far, but not put any 4K/HDR through except Ghost of Tushy :smashin:

* edit: actually mrs did complain her neck was getting sore from looking up and down :confused: i was like "use your eyeballs woman!" :rolleyes:

old tv:
View attachment 1387783

new tv:
View attachment 1387784
Nice jump up in size there... You will be surprised how long it will take u to get used to it... (Actually I bet u probably already are!)

Okay, so I've decided on either a Sony Bravia KD85XH9505BU or a KD85XH9096BU. Can someone explain what the difference between the two sets is, other than over a grand in price, because to a layman like me, the specs look almost identical?

Ta

Okay, so I've decided on either a Sony Bravia KD85XH9505BU or a KD85XH9096BU. Can someone explain what the difference between the two sets is, other than over a grand in price, because to a layman like me, the specs look almost identical?

Ta
I'm sure you probably know this but the H95 won't have HDMI 2.1 so you wont get some of the benefits of the next gen consoles. The H90 has had a firmware update recently to allow HDMI 2.1 though.

I'm sure you probably know this but the H95 won't have HDMI 2.1 so you wont get some of the benefits of the next gen consoles. The H90 has had a firmware update recently to allow HDMI 2.1 though.
Yeah, kind of. @madmonk3y explained about the HDMI situation via PM, and my understanding was that both sets were 2.1 capable, but only when the firmware was updated in a patch (as you've said). I'm curious though, if the H90 is capable of utilising 2.1 (and I've cabled 2.1 behind the wall - they're like hosepipes), why is it so much cheaper than the H95?

Yeah, kind of. @madmonk3y explained about the HDMI situation via PM, and my understanding was that both sets were 2.1 capable, but only when the firmware was updated in a patch (as you've said). I'm curious though, if the H90 is capable of utilising 2.1 (and I've cabled 2.1 behind the wall - they're like hosepipes), why is it so much cheaper than the H95?
The H95 is the newer model. I've not looked into it more than that. Once I found out it wasn't getting the 2.1 update I stopped paying any interest in it.

The H95 is the newer model. I've not looked into it more than that. Once I found out it wasn't getting the 2.1 update I stopped paying any interest in it.
If that's the case and the difference between the sets - spec-wise - is otherwise negligible, I'll for the H90 and save myself over a grand.

If that's the case and the difference between the sets - spec-wise - is otherwise negligible, I'll for the H90 and save myself over a grand.
Like I say i've not really looked into the H95 to much as it wasn't 2.1 (which is important for me for future proofing) so don't take my opinion as any kind of expert opinion mate.

I saw this pop up recently too. Not sure if its of interest. Seems TV's are a minefield ATM. ITs why i'm just going to go for the LG lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom